1 2 3 4 5 6
dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/20 7:50 a.m.

Spent the weekend working on the car, the details take so long..... Engine is done, wiring, water lines, oil lines, radiator and the wiring cleaned up. Fuel lines finished to the electric pump and regulator/filter. Diff, Trans and motor oil added and just need to bleed the brakes and clutch. I'll work on the interior once the engine is running again. Built a custom bracket to mount the mufflers off the rear differential mount. Adjusted the rear camber using the Good Parts brackets (they are really nice). I unbolted all 4 fenders to clean out any debris that got between the fender and the rocker, was pretty shocked at finding a lot of pine needles and grime on the passenger side front. Cleaned it all out, as these collect and rust out the fenders or rockers. This car has been a garage queen for 20 years, so all of this just came from Summer Party weekends and weekend joy rides. Hood is back on the car, should be running and driving by the end of the week if all goes to plan.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/20 8:58 a.m.

Looking good! Checking things off the list, it looks like it won't be long till there's another Miata shell for me to come pickup!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
4/20/20 9:02 a.m.

Yes, the wife asked me if the Miata was next. I'll have to get that moving soon so she can let me work on the MR2!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/20 11:11 a.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

laugh

dherr (Forum Supporter)
5/15/20 2:00 p.m.

So my TR4A project has perhaps taken a different turn..... stay tuned as there may be an entirely new direction in the near future!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 2:34 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

So my TR4A project has perhaps taken a different turn..... stay tuned as there may be an entirely new direction in the near future!

cue mystery show music...

Indy- "Nub" Guy
Indy- "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/15/20 2:59 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

Coloring me interested.

Just be careful of those fingers.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
6/2/20 4:20 p.m.

So not completely prepared to talk about where this is headed, but I have been talking with a Triumph enthusiast that wants to commission having the car rebuilt to his specs..... More on this very soon as we work out the details, but we are talking about taking it to the next level. So I may be taking the car back down to the frame for the 3rd time. Pretty easy for me since I know every nut and bolt in the car.

Also, hey look! A car thread!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
6/2/20 4:43 p.m.

I feel more like it is "groundhog day" taking it all apart again.....

(Posted for good good natured ribbing, more than any actual impatience).

I just put it together that you own this, the pocket rocket, AND the Mazdaspeed Spit. That's good work, Soldier!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
6/3/20 10:22 p.m.

Thanks Joe, working out the details and should have an update on this project by Friday. So I'll not be losing the project, but I won't own this one any more. That just frees up some funds for a new project by the end of the year. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
6/4/20 2:48 p.m.

You stole my idea of the Maserati/Ferrari engine swap out of an older Quattroporte and into this, right?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/18/20 3:22 p.m.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
6/18/20 3:34 p.m.

So here it is...... This build thread will change as the car will be re-restored again! Guess third time is the charm smiley

I have sold the car to an enthusiast that has commissioned me to rebuilt it to his specifications. So, I'll still have the car in my possession for the next 6 months, but starting in July, I will be tearing it all apart for a new build. Think high-end TV show kind of build with a power coated frame, most of the Good Parts catalog installed and new paint, interior, Surrey hard and soft tops and a rebuilt, fuel injected Rover motor and T5 transmission, custom wiring harness......

dherr (Forum Supporter)
7/11/20 8:29 a.m.

So with the arrival of the Mazdaspeed, the TR4A was taken over to my neighbor's shop where I will work on it over the next 6 months.

We are almost finished with his 6 speed, LT1 powered MGB, so the TR4A is next.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/20 9:00 a.m.

I really dig the small diameter exhaust knowing it's flowing a V8. I bet it sounds refined, subdued and awesome. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/11/20 11:15 a.m.

Wait. You mean you didn't need 4" straight pipes with 8" diameter tips to have a fun street car? I need to air drop pamphlets over my entire city to spread this news.  ;^)

dherr (Forum Supporter)
7/11/20 12:38 p.m.

Especially for a 3.5 liter V8 :-)

The stock dual mufflers are on the car with the exhaust pipe the same size as the down pipes on the block hugger headers. It makes 225 HP and does sound pretty amazing moving  a sub 2000 pound car

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/3/21 7:37 p.m.

Well as I told all of you, I ended up selling my TR4A and have been commissioned by the new owner to rebuild it from the ground up into something really special. Lots of work been going on for the last year, body just came back from the body shop. Thought you all might like to see it now. shop, thought 

Can't wait to get the body on the chassis and get the car wired and closer to running! 

Wowzers!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/3/21 8:04 p.m.

Amazing.....what is that color?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/3/21 8:09 p.m.

Thanks! Aston Martin Sage Green

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/3/21 8:15 p.m.

Are you gonna miss it......or is the 'B' your next love?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/3/21 8:17 p.m.

I bought a spare in the spring, so I have a back up TR4A to restore sometime in the future. For now, I just drive it for fun. I guess I have a thing for green TR4A's smiley

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXUKU4HQ81SbTKWylIJOjbBOilQE6YqENFuU14UVDpilbUA34eAhkElrGsPWLRT1