1 2 3 4
Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
4/26/22 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

It is going to be a sensor input on the ecu, once it sees the circuit is closed it will command higher boost pressure. i want to keep the motor alive and i cannot be trusted with all the power all the time. I will use it. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
4/26/22 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

In the front mounted in a mostly flat configuration. once these tubes are mounted. The radiator comes next

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
4/26/22 1:29 p.m.

Sweet! following along

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 2:07 p.m.

Don't know if it is tube-framed, but it was FTD by one second this weekend. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
4/26/22 4:36 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

sorta similar wide body to what i have. i will have an ftd to my name

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/22 10:21 p.m.

Love the project!

With the effort to make headlights function, is the plan to street license it?   If so, what state?

I was able to get my Outlaw Bug registered in Florida by maintaining the original VIN tag and the bodywork it was attached to even though the whole chassis was custom.   

To keep my CG good, and also low, I ended up placing fuel cells behind the seats.  I ended up building a custom exhaust through the chassis to solve ground clearance issues.

I thought about using Subi power and using the frame tubes to move the coolant from front to rear, etc.   

About the time I got to the stage where you are today the real design work started... fitting all the needed systems in correct and safe places.  Sealing the engine compartment from the driver's compartment was a big task.

Think about tow hooks attached all the way into strong parts of the chassis.  Any thought of making that front clip a bolt-on piece just in case?

Keep up the great work!  

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
4/27/22 12:56 a.m.

Got the tubes notched and a tube between the two. All nice and straight with tight gaps at the intersections.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
4/27/22 1:08 a.m.

It will be street legal through the same route you mention with the porsche vin tags still on it. Fuel cell is behind the seats here as well. On top of having a low cg, the fuel is close to the cg keeping the same balance when the tank is full or empty. 

Exhaust is fairly easy here, im building my own headers to get everything up and out of the way of the diffuser and a little party trick with the turbo. The big issue with it is getting my exhaust housing ive been waiting on since black friday.

Ive planned on where the coolant tubes are going and they will be running down the middle of the center console with an enclosure covering it. it will make sense when seen. Ive got most things planned out but i have the patience to make the ones i forget about nice looking when they finally come up.

Front end will be dzused on and off for easy access and trailer loading along with the front splitter. As far as the whole front clip, frame and all its all welded with slightly thinner tube (like one-two sizes down) up front and in the rear to hopefully crush a bit when i get too confident. 

I hope i dont sound too confident because my plans change constantly for better and easier solutions. And im always up for suggestions!

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
4/29/22 12:46 a.m.

So this is the detail orientation ive been talking about. I downloaded fusion 360 and with a free personal use license from there i designed many pieces that have been on my mind for some time now. I made things from wing uprights to steering shaft brackets, to the mounts for my fuel cell and more! I went crazy for at least a week and i still have a ton more things to design. From there i sent all my designs to a company called sendcutsend who laser cuts all the parts out. And you get a great little package LIKE THIS:

I also used a tab and slot design on a lot of my parts so without welding them up yet, they go together like legos:

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
5/2/22 1:56 p.m.

So ive assembled a lot of my parts and im really liking the results! The first parts on my list were my fuel cell mounts, and my fancy revised shifter bracket. The original was a modified version of the coldwater one that allows me to use off the shelf cables from a website i have to remember. Results look very good. I also finally got the fuel cell mounted up in place which has been an area of great stress, but the road forward seems clear!

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/22 2:43 p.m.

Just a thought.  Steel holding up aluminum thats holding about 70 pounds sloshing around can cause wear into the aluminum.  I padded mine with industrial rubber.

I good firewall between the front of the engine and the cell is a must.  Can be something like .062 aluminum.

To prevent fuel starvation in long sweepers, especially if you are running a minimum fuel load, I added a small tank a bit lower than the main tank that the fuel pump draws from.  Seem a bit extra until you get to a situation like the last turn at Roebling Road.

YMMV

Keep up the great work.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
5/2/22 4:55 p.m.

i have fuel tank rubber to pad the tank from the aluminum, when i get real serious im gonna put a surge tank inside the fuel cell

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
6/13/22 8:22 p.m.

Its been a while again since ive posted but bot for a lack of working on the car as ive gotten some big stuff accomplished, in my eyes at least.. 
I got the wing installed, its a 9lives racing dual element, though it currently sits as a single element wing. Once its all together it’ll make 700lbs of downforce at 150mph but ill have plenty more to accommodate that. The rear will get some more reinforcements to keep the bumper from bending. I’ll sprinkle some more posts sharing what else i have finished recently!

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
6/16/22 4:19 p.m.

I have a new video out today summing up a lot of the recent progress! check it out:

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
6/16/22 5:07 p.m.

Wow, great progress and video. I'll have to check out your other videos. What kind of tube bender are you using in that video? Seems like a good small footprint option.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
6/16/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

its and "Affordable bender" For single bends and non critical tubes its not so bad. but when you have a compound bend like the main hoop it's impossible to get it perfectly straight. It'll take some persuasion to get it right. Cheap yes, good at bending yes, consistency no. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
7/11/22 3:48 p.m.

Oh wow i keep forgetting to update thid thread! i have started work on building a turbo header for the car, i detailed it all in the most recent video of mine: 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/11/22 4:01 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/22 4:30 p.m.

freakin sweet!

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
7/11/22 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Send cut send recommends .010 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
7/23/22 7:28 p.m.

I forgot to update the last week because of just how busy ive been but there is a new video. It was exclusively edited after midnight to make it happen but it is here!
It sums up all the recent work but i will post pictures later of progress. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
7/24/22 7:37 p.m.

Update pictures, any questions are welcome!

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
7/24/22 7:42 p.m.

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
10/19/22 7:07 p.m.

Haven't updated in a while so instead of rambling im gonna dump some recent photos, and in a separate post link to the newest video summing it up!

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
10/19/22 7:07 p.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
efxkBpYnfp8jLEJEZVCI9F5rHdR4zHHoPh3T4OeZL73rVic7zcDBQlXXauh9C2p5