1 2
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/22 2:17 p.m.

very nice!

David_H
David_H New Reader
12/2/22 2:47 p.m.

Super clean, I knew it would be as soon as I saw the custom oil pan gasket. Enjoy!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/2/22 3:21 p.m.

Very interesting project! Was the blow-by calculation for how to set up a turbo PCV system? If so, I'd be interested in seeing that in detail.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/22 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Shifted :

Dude.... that's some impressive data. I'll have to spend some time absorbing that

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/22 5:58 p.m.

Fantastic work! You'll fit right in here smiley. Thanks for posting.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
12/3/22 8:42 a.m.

An oil less turbo? That's a new one to me, I had to look that up. 

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
12/3/22 8:59 a.m.

What is the CAN module and Power Strip setup you are using?

I am really leaning towards using a proper PDU/PMU setup on my stuff but the price tag of the Haltech stuff is more than I want to spend.

Sean

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/3/22 10:53 a.m.

Great project!

Did you come up with a simple / easy method of supporting the engine, to allow removing the cros brace and oil pan.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/3/22 11:36 a.m.

Thanks! I'll have to take a closer look later, but that sounds like a great resource for keeping my engine compartment from becoming drenched in oil.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/3/22 12:03 p.m.

Thanks

I set up something somewhat similar to raise the trans up into my Honda race car, the cross beam has a little hand operated winch with a ratchet.  The transmission isn't very heavy, but that makes swapping a trans much easier.

I had a 928 years ago, now I keep looking at them, of course now they are all a little older, interesting seeing methods of doing extensive work.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/22 2:01 p.m.

I love remote mount turbos.  Are they optimal? No.  Do they work?  Oh, hell yes.  I wish STS was still in business.

This 928 is black which is the color they should all be.  I saw my first one at Christmas in 1978 or maybe 1979 as a third grader with my parents and sister shopping at our local mall.  The local dealer had a black 928 and a red 930.  My dad chatted up the salesman and determined that the 928 was a solid car.  I agreed.  But he couldn't understand why the "fancy Volkswagen " (930) was more money.  It wasn't even a V8!  He mumbled about it the whole way home.

WondrousBread
WondrousBread Reader
12/3/22 8:13 p.m.

I like everything about this. The quality workmanship, the attention to detail, the setup that sends your logs and tunes straight to the computer, the remote-mounted turbo, all of it.

This is excellent work and I'm excited to read more of it.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
12/4/22 5:44 p.m.

Always enjoyable when someone loves their project.

Well done my man, well done 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/4/22 6:13 p.m.

How do I pull the transmission into place?

With the race car on the trailer, there is just enough room to slide it under the trailer.  Then with a cross brace similar to what you have, but with a little hand crank winch.  A tiny rope, basically parachute cord size, is used.  Part of the trick is to make a bracket to attach the rope at just the right spot so it is balanced, then as it is lifted with the rope, it will come up and can then be pushed into the clutch.

This is a Honda, front wheel drive, and the trans isn't very heavy, but fairly clumsy to get into place.  I forget how I did it the first time, but had to come up with a better way.

With the Fiesta I used a threaded rod and big wing nut, that worked, but not very well.

Added a picture, but not much detail how it works, can take more pictures to show more detail.

I like how you supported the 928 engine with 2 cross braces, that way it won't tilt or move at all.

I keep looking at 928 ads to replace the one I miss, but really need to finish a few things before getting another project.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/5/22 7:11 p.m.

Mine was a 1983 S 5 speed.  The used car lot that I found it at, didn't want to try fixing anything on it, which was actually lucky for me, got it cheap.  The gear shift barely worked, and the windows would not go up.  It snowed as i drove it home.  I paid for the car and went back about a week later to pick it up, ordered new window switches, so after I got home I was able to fix the windows.  The shifter issue was the ball / socket assembly on top of the bell housing, difficult access but not really complex repair.

Not sure why but at some point decided it needed a 3 inch exhaust, first exhaust I made, it did sound great.  Back then I had a flux core welder and couldn't weld stainless.  Right now I am making a stainless exhaust system for my mini cooper.

It wasn't just a car, it was an adventure.  Back then I didn't have much money or tools or experience with fixing cars.  It was by far the worst snow car ever.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
12/5/22 8:49 p.m.

This is awesome.  Nice work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/22 10:32 a.m.

Outstanding work!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/22 11:16 a.m.

I love this. I feel like these cars don't get enough attention or only negative attention. But I love them

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
12/6/22 12:39 p.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP :

What made it so bad in the winter? Just curious because I have been considering replacing my Touareg with a 944.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
12/6/22 5:24 p.m.

That's a great turbo setup--some YouTube guy did a similar thing with a Toyota pickup LS swap.  Should I ever do a turbo again, the mid-mount is pretty much it, as all that stuff jammed into one end of a car is no bueno.

A few points seem kind of obvious and possibly annoying:  12 PSI seems like an awful lot for that lower RPM ratio.  Don't connecting rods hate that?  Secondarily, when you get a relatively low-RPM power boost like that, doesn't it tend to blow the tires off exactly when you don't want it to happen?  As a final point, it looks like the turbo chokes at 5500 RPMs, which would make sense, given the size of the unit; more RPM would be unnecessary and futile.  I say all this because of my similar experiences with a Borg-Warner s366 on a 5.3 LS. 

Weirdly, a laggy, larger turbo might actually be safer and provide more controllable driving (when demanding actual performance), along with more power, but higher up in the RPM range (which is fine with V8 torque).

Great car--apologies for my pedantic BS.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/8/22 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Parker with too many Projects :

I think the wide tires with the V8 power, not a good snow combination.  I once got caught in a little snow, while going up a slight incline, I could hear the rear tires spin and throw snow, I would lift a little, the wheel spin would stop, but each time it would be going slower.  Didn't think it would make it to the top.

I am near Philadelphia, we only et snow a few times a year and it will only stay for a few days, somehow I ended up driving that 928 in more than on snow storm.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
12/8/22 12:29 p.m.

The road trip pictures are great! 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/8/22 12:41 p.m.

I was never smart enough to have a good snow car, but then is any car really good in the snow, it's mostly up to careful driving.

A slightly better picture of the transmission winch, the trick to making it as easy as possible, find just the right spot to connect the rope to the trans.  Ideally once lifted up, a slight push and it will slid onto the clutch.  Once it slides onto the clutch, can then insert the 2 top bolts, so no need to get under it while it is only supported by the little rope. This trans only weighs about 70 lbs, so be careful doing this with something heavier.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
12/8/22 4:39 p.m.

That's great that the car generally "hooks up."  Perhaps the power really is more linear than it seems--this is just not my limited experience with the turbo effect (4 cyl or V8). 

In one of your charts, it looked like power production had stopped quite clearly at 5500 RPMs, hence the assumption of no more power being made beyond that level.  The choking concept is an effect of backpressure in relation to your engine's displacement and the effect of the turbine's ability to be effective beyond a certain RPM (don't know why I said "ratio," but it's probably a thing).  This happens a lot with V8 turbo setups that have been tested ad-nauseum in YouTube videos.  I am no horsepower scientist.

For comparison's sake, my 5.3 LS turbo setup (pretty mild/non-lopey cam), chugging along in 3rd gear (6-speed auto/3.07 rear gear), if tapped about half-throttle, would spool up to about five pounds (sub-3000 RPMs) and spin the tires at 30-40 MPH.  Car would go slightly sideways--this was on a proven IRS setup with good 200TW 315mm tires, on perfectly dry pavement.  Linearity in power delivery was not a thing, but hey, that's the power of learning and personal preference.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
12/8/22 9:45 p.m.

Have you tried running it without a muffler, or different mufflers?   At higher RPM or higher flow rates, limiting the air flow after the turbo can't be a good thing.

Maybe try 2 glass pack type mufflers, the type you can see straight thru.

Or maybe a muffler bypass valve, those can be activated with a switch, that way it won't be to load all the time.

Attempting to optimize a turbo set up can be complicated, engine air flow and turbo air flow, and of course temperature issues.  Engine air flow can be somewhat limited by the valve and cams, with this engine not many options for those things.

I remember using the brakes to merge into traffic, at the end of the on ramp could easily be going twice the speed of the traffic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9mg2tpmIG5Bw4hAikFs3Zj6B25LGs1oytxiW75DeFwNvZ8qgFb6iHH2SSGLEEcX