1 2
TylerCYR
TylerCYR New Reader
1/15/21 10:15 p.m.

 

 

Next I took on the front of the interior which meant tackling the wiring, glove box and defroster. I tackles the glove box first then the defroster and lastly the wiring. The defroster was tricky as there were four nuts under the hood to be able to get the defroster out. I went to my wiring diagrams and knew I wanted to keep the abs and the brake sensor. Everything else could go. So I went from this.

Took a break overnight, here was the progress 

Getting closer:

To finally complete on the wiring:

 

 

I ended up using a Dymo labeler to label the wires I wanted to keep. I also did this in the engine bay:

 

 

Fuse box is eliminated as well:

 

Next up is taking the motor and transmission out. 

 

 

 

 

TylerCYR
TylerCYR New Reader
1/17/21 7:33 p.m.

Time to take the locked up engine out of the car. I bought this car for $900 and I knew the engine was bad. It was also an auto car. I went to drain the oil pan and it started just pissing out coolant. The motor was definitely fubard. So here is where I left off after the wiring:

 

 

I took off the nuts for the exhaust. The front control arms and transmission were in the way from being able to take the exhaust all the way out. Had to drop the heat shields, take off the guibo bolts, center bearing bolts and rear diff nuts. Motor mount nuts needed loosened. The previous owner went ahead and took off thr passengers side for me ahead of time. On the top side the oil cooler, power steering, auto trans lines and fuel lines all came off. I pulled the ecu harness through the firewall so it could come with the engine. I went to the back shop to drag the hoist back and put it in place. Assume the position:

 

 

I couldn't find my chain so this engine us coming up by one point in the front. 

In progress:

At this point, I knew the transmission wouldn't clear the front of the car. So I went ahead and lowered the front of the car. I still had to climb in the engine bay to use my brute strength on the transmission. 

 

Finally out and now I have a big hole. 

 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/21 10:51 p.m.

Hnnngggg...

 

As you have seen...  my new build lost 100 lbs.  I think you can do similar while making it more comfy (probably more important to lap time than 100 lbs) and safer.

 

C ant wait till I can help / drive this bitch.

TylerCYR
TylerCYR New Reader
1/21/21 2:04 p.m.

Time to tidy up the engine bay. I just took everything off that I didn't need or need to take off for the cage builder. Not much progress this night as you can see but it cleaned up the engine bay a lot more. 

Any suggestions on how to clean an engine bay in the middle of winter in the north? The lines are frozen for a power washer. 

 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/21 8:50 a.m.
TylerCYR said:

Time to tidy up the engine bay. I just took everything off that I didn't need or need to take off for the cage builder. Not much progress this night as you can see but it cleaned up the engine bay a lot more. 

Any suggestions on how to clean an engine bay in the middle of winter in the north? The lines are frozen for a power washer. 

 

Scrub brush and some all purpose cleaner?

TylerCYR
TylerCYR New Reader
1/22/21 2:22 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
TylerCYR said:

Time to tidy up the engine bay. I just took everything off that I didn't need or need to take off for the cage builder. Not much progress this night as you can see but it cleaned up the engine bay a lot more. 

Any suggestions on how to clean an engine bay in the middle of winter in the north? The lines are frozen for a power washer. 

 

Scrub brush and some all purpose cleaner?

 

That's what I was thinking.  Maybe grab gallons of Purple Power and some toothbrushes.......

TylerCYR
TylerCYR New Reader
1/24/21 6:54 a.m.

Next it was time to move to the trunk area. It was pretty easy to dismantle this quickly. Cheap German thing fake carpet. Speaker wires, etc. 

Oh our friend rust showed up again. 

 

 

Quick and easy with this one. Next is to take all the glass out. 

 

 

 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/21 10:08 a.m.

I might just wore wheel that and throw on some rust converter.  Doesn't seem structural from this side of the internet.

TylerCYR
TylerCYR New Reader
1/25/21 5:39 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I might just wore wheel that and throw on some rust converter.  Doesn't seem structural from this side of the internet.

Yeah I'll just plate these.  Only three areas that I see and hey since I am making plates and fabricating some stuff, then I may as well just make three more :) 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
BFMlWrF92Uo9GiwVp1YAUn9ZMFzgPoiO10JhgjnxSkYpPOXINljO9j28TqyhKVTk