1 ... 7 8 9 10 11
Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
5/4/21 12:24 p.m.

-------------------------------------------------------

**** 1980 Volkswagen MK1 Scirocco ****

Sitting in the garage… planning time for transmission, suspension, etc.

Removed the seat to reinstall it in the Golf in preparation for a track event.

Purchased a new helmet to replace my current Simpson Voyager Evolution SA2010 (size 7 1/2).

I originally ordered the Bell M8 because of the large eye port, but they were not available until June 2021. 

Plan B: I ordered a G-Force Nova Helmet SA2020 (size Large) in flat black, a smoke visor (to replace the clear… perhaps I should have gone with an even darker visor), plus some new HANS mounting posts.

I like the fit and it is a bit lighter than my old helmet.

New HANS posts

Single my helmet already has the threaded insert, I did not need the washer/nut combo that goes on the inside of the helmet. 

**** 2001 Volkswagen MK4 Golf ****

Time to get the Golf ready for the 2021 hillclimb season, and more importantly, a Test and Tune track event at Club Motorsports (I love this track).

Winter is over and need to find a place for the little snowblower.

Tried to do my own alignment.  I have done this before, but it was more tweaking on an existing properly aligned car vs. new suspension, new steering rack (well, just the tie rod ends come into play), new ride height, control arm bushing, etc. etc. 

I was out of my element and did not have a lot of experience to know how to do everything correct.

But… there is that darn track event coming up and I needed to get it close.

Goal is -2.30 camber and 1/16” toe out. 

I set the camber on both sides to -2.30 (I didn’t take the time to zero the level on the floor… that played into my numbers not quite being correct based on the “real” alignment I got after the track event).

Did 1/16” toe out… well, I did it in CM as it was easier to see on the tape measures.

Ordered a new window net.  The mesh is the original and the web is new.  (24” wide by 18” tall)

Car is all together and ready for track event… after a much needed car wash.  Last time I washed it was prior to the September 2019 hillclimb (Mt. Ascutney).

Loaded and ready to hit the road.  One thing that I want to do with the trailer this summer is add interior lights and decorative lights on the awning.  Lights would run from a deep cycle battery in the trailer and the battery would charge when connected to the truck.  Plus… some cabinets and drawers as digging through bins to find stuff suuuuucccckkkkssss.

Welcome to Club Motorsports in the b-e-a-you-tee-ful town of Tamworth NH.

https://clubmotorsports.com/

Some pictures of all the cars and drivers.  Lots of cool cars. Some cars/drivers that I race with at the hillclimbs.

Lots of really cool and fast cars.

Love this purple 2016 Porsche GT3 RS.  Fastest time of the day.  Hard launches and drove it like it should be driven.  Very impressive driving Mr. V. Campbell.

Frog Racing

Chris shake down of the GTR in preparation for Pikes Peak Hillclimb

Our local hillclimb “fast car/driver”… the Super Chicken II

How about a car with no gears or clutch?  We had to push him while he engaged the starter to get going.  Only way to completely stop is to turn off the engine.

The “Mutt”.  Older Subaru body with STI setup.

MK2 Golf with turbo VR6

And now back home after the track event to get a professional alignment at Twisted Wrench in South Burlington, VT.  They did the previous alignment on the Golf and did a good job.

Took my about an hour to make this image to try to capture the before and after measurements.  The before numbers show my lack of alignment skills.  Yellow is before and Green is after measurements.  The colors do not signify in or out of spec… just two colors to make it easier to read.

My instructions to them were -2.30 front camber and 1/16” toe out. Everything else just seemed to work out.

And this little gem.  A mint vase from my mother’s 1962 (her guess on the year) VW Bug.  Includes shiny new looking mounting bracket and original box.  Pretty cool

**** 2009 Subaru WRX ****

Well… the plan is to sell it this summer. 

Plan for next car is AWD.  Might be Subaru STI or WRX. Don’t know yet. 

I do not need a car during the summer as I can drive my truck. I don’t drive the truck in the winter except for infrequent trips to the hardware store and dump when the roads are clear… followed by a rinse down when I get home. 

I figure the 2012 F250 crew cab 6.7 diesel should be the last truck I ever own… less than 30k miles on it at the moment.  Taking care of it to make it last 40 years. 

It does need better headlights.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
5/6/21 1:44 p.m.

Hopefully these rims work.

Ordered from www.FitmentIndustries.com (working with Richard).

Konig "flow formed" 17x8" | ET40 | 5x100 bolt pattern | 73.1 center bore

The rims come with 57.1 hub centric rings.

I opted to not order their tuner bolts as I run studs... researching what will work for nuts.  My studs are M14x1.5 and the Konig site recommends "spline drive, tuner diameter, conical seat lug nuts."  I'm never exciting about any product with "tuner" in it.  

What I know... conical seat and I have M14x1.5 studs.  Just need to get the rims in my hands to determine what to use for nuts.

From ECStuning, I ordered a set of 73.1mm to 57.1mm hub centric rings (want spares and the price was right) along with 10mm spacers with 57.1 lip (I didn't want a flat spacer).

The reason for the spacer is two fold.  My current rims are 35ET.  With a 4mm spacer, the Yokohama tires (the take-offs from Vermont Sports Car) do work with the suspension, but with the 40ET of the new rims, I calculated that I need 9mm to get the same clearance.  After the Yokohama tires are worn, I will be back to using the skinnier Toyo R888R tires on the new Konig rims that will not need 10mm spacers... I will cross that bridge later.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
5/20/21 2:45 p.m.

And... now they are telling me they the Konig rims are out of stock. Research continues.

This weekend was the first hillclimb that we have had since the fall of 2019.

New England Hillclimb Association (NEHA) series event

Sports Car Club of New Hampshire (SCCNH) - great host!

Mt. Ascutney

May 2021

I was happy with the performance of the new suspension especially on the very very very very very bumpy section at the top of the hill. 

I set the shocks/struts at the mid-point (same as what I used at Club Motorsports earlier this year).  Everything felt good.  I thought the back floated a little, but it was better on the bumps, transitions, and was very consistent.

The last run of the day, I reduced the fronts by two clicks and did not like the results.  It seemed the front didn't stick as well as before.  I turned them back one click (now 1 click higher than the midpoint) and did not get a chance to test the change as it started to rain... figured there was no improvement opportunity with the wet surface.

I do need to get new tires to replace what is currently on the car.

I believe I was first in class and fifth overall... not too bad for a front wheel drive 4 banger.  :)

Basic video of my fastest run.  I left a lot on the table.  This was with the 2 clicks softer than mid-point.

Suggest you watch it in 1080HD.

Enjoy.

Steve

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
6/17/21 10:29 a.m.

**** 2015 Volvo S60 R-Design ****

Not much of a “performance” update, but with the non-metallic paint, we decided to go the detailing with clay bar route.

Can’t really tell in the photos, but when we saw the completed car afterwards, the paint just popped.  Incredible results!

**** 2001 Volkswagen MK4 Golf ****

New wheels, tires, spacers, and nuts!

After learning that Fitment Industries was not able to get the rims I wanted because Konig is reporting that they were now on backorder, I started contacting the vendors on Konig’s website to see if they had the rims in stock.

I assume in most cases that the vendors are just a conduit for taking the order and it ships directly from Konig.  Essentially, the availability is based on what Konig has in its inventory.

I contacted CARiD and they told me that had them.  After double and triple checking, I placed the order with them and they arrived! I have never worked with CARiD before, but have been very pleased with this transaction. Adding them to my list of places to shop.

I ordered the BFI spacers (10mm thick, 57.1 hub, lip, 5x100 bolt pattern) and hubcentric rings (73.1 wheel center bore to 57.1 VW hub) from ECS Tuning and the M14 x 1.5 open end Gorilla “tuner” nuts and socket from Summit Racing.

Somewhere along the lines I noticed that BFI spacers are for OEM wheels only.  Thankfully before I tried to use them.  I’m on the hunt for replacement non-OEM spacers.

Images from BFI’s website.  It is more of a side note on ECS Tuning’s site where I ordered the spacers.

The difference is the lip on the spacers.  The OEM only rims are more of a cone while the “universal” is a cylinder.

The nuts…

The Konig rims did come with bolt on center caps, but I do not plan on using them as it will make it harder to work on the car (access to the axle bolt).  We will see.

I tried to get the “new” tires mounted at a local shop, but they said their tire mounting machine could not do them as the sidewall was too stiff.

They suggested Green City Garage and Chris (owner) was able to mount them within a few days.  Very happy with my interactions with Chris. Will be going back there.

Tires mounted just for show…. It only has the 4mm spacer.  I think they look nice.  The tires are a little taller than what I had on there before, but the price was right.

Earlier I noticed that I was getting a code for the left rear ABS wheel sensor per my simple BlueDriver code reader/reset tool.

(Brakes Code) Error 290.  Static - ABS Wheel speed sensor rear left (G46); signal outside specifications.

I replaced the wheel sensor and still have the error.  Unsure if I need to drive the car after replacing it to reset code.  Hindsight as I type this is that I did not clear the code and scan again.

If the error is still present, I will have to check the wires going to the sensor.

Next:

Find 10mm thick, 57.1 hub, lip, 5x100 bolt pattern spacers

Install second horn

Install vacuum pump for the brakes

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/21 3:18 p.m.
Rabbit Farmer said:

Next:

Find 10mm thick, 57.1 hub, lip, 5x100 bolt pattern spacers

Install second horn

Install vacuum pump for the brakes

I had http://t3technique.com/ make custom spacers/adapters to put Porsche rims on my 1985 Westy. They were great to work with. Maybe they can make what you need.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
6/20/21 9:48 a.m.

Appreciate the info Preach (fs).  I ordered a set from Venumwheels.com that should arrive Tuesday.  Hopefully they are as good as pictured on their site.

Steve

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
6/21/21 4:21 p.m.

Thanks for an unexpected “shout out” from Grassrootsmotorsports, I had someone ask me why I use “Rabbit Farmer” as my handle, logo, and online identity.

Easy… I used to have a lot of Volkswagen Rabbits (MK1 Golf);  from my daily driver, hillclimb/track/autocross/ice time trial car, and my future “full race” Rabbit that I ended up selling to purchase another Rabbit.

Here is the story of the Rabbits.

1984 Rabbit L

My first Rabbit.  We made a surprising number of modifications to the car over the years.  Car came with a 1.7 liter carburetor engine and four speed that we installed a 1.6 liter fuel injected engine from my 1980 Scirocco; we might have installed the 5 speed also (that was a long time ago).  We did carb the Scirocco engine after blocking off the injector ports where I ran double downdraft Dellorto 40mm carb with no choke… and drove it year-around. Bought that carb brand new… cost as much as the car did.

Didn’t look pretty, but it was pretty quick.

198x Rabbit (GTI?)

As the white Rabbit was losing the battle against Vermont winters, I purchased a replacement Rabbit from someone who did track events (lived in Massachusetts).  He delivered it to the NHIS (Loudon, NH) track as it was half way between us… that was nice of him.

We removed the bolt-in cage (sold it to someone to do some racing) and we installed a hillclimb legal custom cage using the roll bar from the white Rabbit.  

This was my only car for a few years… driving it to work every day, climbing over the cage (rain, shine, snow) with dress pants and a tie.   Drove it to the events (no truck and trailer or anything fancy like that) packed with all our camping equipment and tools.

What I did with the car… Bilstein Sport struts/shocks and two-step 2.5” coilover springs (front 450# main/350# tender and rear 300# main/150# tender), 22mm rear anti-sway bar, Toyo RA1 tires, LSD for the 5-speed close ratio transmission, polished and ported 8V head, bored the engine to 1.9 liter and bumped compression to 10:1.  After purchased tow vehicle (2001 Dodge Durango) and trailer, we increased this to 12:1 and ran C-12 race fuel.

Painted it green… um, blue… um green? in my parents’ driveway.

White Rabbit being disassembled while the green car (thanks for my brother Andy for making all this possible… I was new to working on cars).

Pretty car.  Street legal and was always fun on the tight roads.

I don’t recall what the car came with, but I assisted (handed tools to Andy) Andy with converting it to CIS (fuel injection) from a Golf MK2.

And I did everything with this car…

Ice Time Trials

Autocross

Small track events (time trial)

Big track event (HPDE)

Car shows

And my favorite… hillclimbs!

We decommissioned green Rabbit in 2006 when I purchased the caged the Golf MK4.

1983 Rabbit GTI

The cars have a lot of overlap.

I purchased this stock Rabbit GTI as my daily driver.  Note the ice racing tires.  :)

Naturally, I had to modify it.

Bored to 1.9 liter with 10:1 compress.  Bilstein Sport suspension with stiffer springs than stock.  LSD for the transmission.  See a theme?

198? Rabbit

Bought this caged Rabbit for hillclimbing.  Raced it for a short time and decided to sell it for something that was a lot faster. I wish I kept this car.

198-doesn’t matter the year Rabbit

The “Tub 2” was for sale for the right price.  Only the roof was metal.  Light was heck, wide race tires, 1.8 liter 8-V, CIS (fuel injection), standalone engine management, and 28 psi of boost.  Very very very quick car.  And the only car that I could do endos (back end off the ground at least a foot!) when braking hard at the track.

1989 Cabriolet

Not quite a Rabbit in name, but it is a convertible Rabbit.

I purchased it was a 1.8T conversion and cable shift.  I rebuilt the engine using the same components that I used in my 2001 Golf MK4 that I was hillclimbing.  GT28R turbo.  VEMS standalone.  LSD for the transmission.

272 wHP  = happy camper

That wraps up the world of Rabbits.

Lots of details on the later cars earlier in this project thread.  Slim Pickings for older Rabbit content as it was all captured on… gasp!... 35mm film.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
6/21/21 9:37 p.m.

Love me some rabbit action.  Still contemplating a nasty 1.8t into El Rabbito or leaving it period correct with the 13:1 cabby jh  motor.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
6/23/21 5:57 a.m.

The coolest thing about this picture (other than a great GTI) is (are?) the ice racing tires.  You can see how they chew up the ice.

400+ ice racing screws in each of the front tires and 300 in each of the rears.

Fun to drive on the ice with these.  There are better methods today for building ice racing tires, but back when I made my tires, this was the way we were all doing it.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
8/3/21 2:42 p.m.

Anyone going to the Mt Washington hillclimb on August 13-15, 2021 to see Travis Pastrana destroy the (his!) current record in the 862 HP "AirSlayerSTI"?

Should be pretty sweet to see that car going up the hill.  (much faster than I will be going).

On the Subaru Motorsports USA facebook page, they posted a video of Travis in this car at Burke Mountain (Vermont); this is one of the hills that our local group races.  Pretty cool seeing him run the car on a course that I am familiar with.

Direct link:

https://fb.watch/79lefBroFP/

About a week before Mt. Washington... I better get the car and supplies ready.

No no no... more procrastination is needed.

Steve

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
8/19/21 8:52 p.m.

Lots of preparation for the 2021 Mt. Washington hillclimb (formally known as the Subaru Mt. Washington hillclimb presented by Yokohama Tire); aka “Climb to the Clouds”.

https://mt-washington.com/climb-to-the-clouds

Let’s talk about the spacers.  I returned the ECS Tuning spacers as they stated they would only work with OEM Volkswagen rims.

I found the spacers I needed at Venum Wheel (www.venumwheel.com) at the right price. 

I ordered 5x100 bolt pattern, 10mm, 57.1 bore, black spacers.

A few days before the Burke hillclimb they arrived.

Wonderful!

It was quite obvious that they weren’t black.  Okay, I can live with that.

But they also aren’t 10mm.  I really needed 9mm, so going 12mm was more than I wanted/needed.   I called Venum and we had a conversation… the easiest way for me to get the 10mm spacers in time for Burke (4 days away) was to pay for another set and return the 12mm.

I decided to hold onto the 12mm until I had the 10mm in my hand as Burke was the only event prior to Mt. Washington that I would be able to drive on the new tires.

Good thing… FedEx screwed me (which is very rare… it is usually UPS with a “weather event” on a sunny day).  Out for delivery the day before I had to leave for the event and then (poof!) won’t be at my house until the next day.

The chrome looked good on the front.  I wanted black to match the rims.

On the back, we have some issues.

I was hand tightening the new Gorilla nuts and something didn’t feel right like I was stripping the nut.  Oh-oh.  Took it all apart and found that the stock VW hub pushed off the machined lip of the spacer. 

I ended up running 12mm front and 4mm (what used to be on the front) rear spacers.  I wanted a square car, but would settle for a slightly skinnier rear.

Oh… Venum also told me to return the chrome spacers that pushed off the machined lip because they were obviously defective.

When I got home from Burke the 10mm spacers had arrived.  I tried them on the rear and they didn’t fit either… with or without the dust cap.

The gap on the rear.

I noticed at Club Motorsport, Ascutney, and Burke that the car didn’t seem to have the power it should.  It was a little more obvious at Burke as I normally get into 5th gear prior to checkpoint 1 and downshift into 4th to make it over the jump.  I never got into 5th.

I figured the engine or turbo were getting old and the power just wasn’t there anymore.

Let’s start with troubleshooting.  Pressure test, check timing, look at the turbo, perhaps a compression/leak down test (though I did these tests earlier this year).

Guess what?  It seems a hole that I can put my index finger through kinda robs the power from the engine.

Wrench for dramatic effect.

The car is ready for the 2021 Mt. Washington hillclimb including the door sticker to commemorate the event.

Another set of ‘take off’ tires from Vermont SportsCar.  This time Cooper Rain tires.

I picked up some 1/16” vinyl coated wire rope/cable, crimps, and tool to make tethers for the cameras on the car.

Welcome to the 2021 Mt. Washington hillclimb!

Car with the newly acquired (thanks to the Mt Washington Auto Road) “This VW climbed Mt. Washington” bumper sticker.

Friday practice.  The only point of the entire weekend that I was ahead of Travis Pastrana.  We practiced the top half of the mountain from 8am-noon.  Picture is us waiting below the mid-point to head up for our run.

Cool picture of the collection of cars after Saturday’s practice of the bottom of the hill.  Parked above mid-point on the hill where we finished.

Sunday timed runs of the whole hill. Cog railway train in the background. 

I was able to secure 2nd place in class between two BMWs, both with good drivers.  Happy with the results, but I did struggle with the lack of low end power that took forever to get out of the corners.  Really impacts my times at the Burke hillclimb.

I hope to resolve that issue over the winter so that the car is more fun to drive on tight courses.  We will see.

And those poor rain tires.  I drove them during both Friday and Saturday practice.  It was dry and hot on Friday.  Overcooked them a bit.  I expect this look on track where you always pick up track rubber, not so much on a paved mountain road.  Could be wrong (been known to happen).

Pictures of some of the cars at the event.

Rabbit… bah!  They should have named it something else.  “Rabbit” to me is a small car from the 1970-1980s.

Datsun 510

Sierra Car (normally aspirated)

Corrado

Capri

AMX

Cool car at the event.  Car was raced by John Buffum (search the internet for his rally racing career in the US… very accomplished driver) a long time ago.  Passed through many hands until the current owner acquired the car and brought it to Mt. Washington.

My neighbors, the Sierra Car.. um, cars.  The black is turbo and was 2nd overall at the event.

Speaking of John Buffum… he is up on the golf cart for the driver’s meeting telling us to not do anything stupid and have fun.

Helicopter from the event that was following the fast cars.  I saw him over me at one point… must have been birdwatching or just returning to base.

The Unimog that shows up every year to help with communication on the hill.  Pretty cool.

What I think was the coolest tow rig at the event.

We got lucky with the weather.  B-E-A-Uuuu-tiful on Sunday.  Very foggy on Saturday afternoon.  Could not see more than 30 feet +/-.

That wrapped up the Mt. Washington hillclimb. 

Perhaps I will have the Scirocco ready for the next one. 

And different video cameras… I was so frustrated trying to get the GoPro to work.  Problems connecting on my old Iphone 10 XR and my new Iphone 12 Pro.

I will post the video later tonight.  World’s slowest DSL internet connection requires overnight uploading of videos.

One more event this year… Mt. Ascutney hillclimb in September.  My favorite course in the series in Vermont.

Steve

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
8/19/21 10:17 p.m.

very cool, thanks for the pictures

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
8/21/21 2:45 p.m.

Here is the video.  Make sure to select 1080 HD for quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8mBcuSHokE

Best time 7:15.552

2nd in class (P2)

20th overall out of 72 drivers with times

Best time 7:34.18

4th in class (P2)

30th overall out of 67 drivers with times

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
11/30/21 9:34 a.m.

[start rambling blog post]

Happy Thanksgiving.

25# turkey is in the smoker.

Winter is nearly nearly here... no snow yet, but the snow tires are on.  Have the snowblower mounted on the Kubota (3 hour project with removing and cleaning mower deck, removing bucket, install snowblower frame, installing snowblower).  Hoping for a lot of snow to justify the purchase of this tractor (LX3310HSDC) with blower.

We should have fast internet next week.  This is a big deal!

Our prior house (5 miles away) had 250 mbps cable.  Moved to current house (a little more in the country) and we are getting a max of 8 mbps on DSL.  Imagine that speed with two people working from home.  Next week... 400 mbps.  (didn't think we needed anything faster than that... we will see).  Planning to order a new computer on Friday or Monday (based on sale options this weekend) to replace the 11 year old gaming rig I have. It has been a challenge with the slow internet and gaming PC that isn't quite up to spec for the current Call of Duty.  Roughing it, I know.

Officially selling the 2009 WRX as I just put a down payment on a 2021 Subaru STI.  I was waiting for the 2022 MK4 Golf R to come out and couldn't wait any longer.  I will have to source some rims and snow tires for it.  I was looking at a friend's absolutely beautiful MK7 Golf R that he is selling, but I opted for new with warranty.  Too bad I couldn't get both.  If you want a fantastic Golf R (located in Vermont), I can put you in contact with the seller.  Highly recommended car.

Scirocco... sitting in the garage like a piece of exercise equipment.

Golf... plans for the winter are... well, planned.  Just need to get the ball rolling.  Just some minor stuff.  VEMS engine management to replace the antiquated 034EFI; smaller hot side on turbo; reroute intercooler tubing so that it isn't near the starter; make sure all gauges work (need new EGT).  Plan is to tune it for pump gas to avoid having to purchase and haul around the VP C12 leaded race fuel.  Yep, less power potential (because of pump gas), but hoping to get lower end power to make the car more fun to drive at the hillclimbs and cost less with pump gas.

[/end rambling blog post]

Steve

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
6/3/22 6:43 a.m.

Finally catching up on “things” but nothing too exciting.

Winter wasn’t as productive as I hoped, but “hope is not a strategy”.

--- Wrapping up the 2021 Season ---

Hillclimbs were really good and the Golf held together.  It was put into the trailer clean and didn’t see the light of day until May 2022.  Nothing was broken, but I did have a lot of winter plans.

I drove the 2009 Subaru WRX at Club Motorsports in October 2021.  Last event for this ol’ girl before selling it in December 2021.  Loved everything about this car except the rust that was forming on the rockers.  It has been my favorite winter vehicle ever!  Balanced, good gearing, good power (265 HP), and naturally the AWD.  And I like the looks of the car.

Also last event on these fantastic 17x8 rims.  They don’t fit on the new car (different bolt pattern and too small of a diameter) and the offset was wrong from the Golf (I tried!).  Rims went to a good home on the “Mutt” (older Hillclimb Subraru with STI setup).

The “Gang” from the track event at Club Motorsports.

---- Introducing the New Daily Driver ----

2021 Subaru STI Limited purchased from Gary Smith at Prime Subaru in Manchester, VT.  Same place we got our 2009 Subaru WRX Premium.  Good price, good service, and I ensured to get the Fluid Film undercoating before picking up the car.  Gotta protect my investment.

Car is for sale for $1,000,000 since they aren’t making any more internal combustion engine STIs after 2021 as Subaru is going electric in the STIs.  I kid... about it being for sale.  I’m sure the electric STI will be a good performer, but I’m not sold on electric vehicles yet with the limited resources for the batteries, dirty mining, issues with recycling old batteries, not a good power support for charging (batteries just store energy created by non-clean sources), etc.  I don’t think we are “there” yet for electric cars.

Jury is still out how I like the car.  I really enjoyed driving the WRX and think I like the gearing of the 5-speed (WRX) better than the close ratio of the 6-speed (STI).

I’m unsure about the seats in the STI... I was hoping they would hold me in the seat a lot better.  Perhaps the seat cushion needs to sag a bit with use so that I sink into them more.  Would love the “butt retention” of the Recaros in my 1983 Rabbit GTI.

I would like a taller second gear.  I haven’t had an opportunity to really utilize the potential of this car by bringing it to a track... don’t race a car payment.  Recently discovered the different power (throttle response) options of the S Drive, but pretty much just leave it in “Intelligent” mode with the price of gas.

For now, an underutilized daily driver as I am working from home most of the time.  Car almost has 2,000 miles on it as of June 2022.

Nice clean engine... 310 HP (slightly better than the 265 HP in the 2009 WRX)

First modification was the floor mats.  After cleaning the 2009 WRX to get it ready to sell, I spent an hour cleaning the salt off the carpet (especially the tunnel) using hot water, vinegar, and our home carpet cleaner.   Carpet looked fantastic after the effort.

I wanted to protect the carpet on the new carpet from day one.

I installed Tuxmats in the Subaru. Impressed with the how well it covers all areas of the carpet especially the center tunnel where crusty salt accumulates. My only “want” with these is that I would have liked for it to use the two stock driver’s side mat retention posts on the floor. I had to remove them to make this work properly (it comes with a single retention post).

I tried to get these for my 2012 F250, but the company doesn’t make anything that old anymore.

---- Minor Updates on the Golf ----

As mentioned... not a lot accomplished over the winter.  Heck, I didn’t do anything.

Started the car in May.

Bought race fuel at $21 + tax a gallon.  Holy mother of...

Same day that diesel was $6.29 a gallon.  Double ouch with the 50 gallon tank.

Because the car felt a little loose with the new suspension, I decided to remove the Shine Racing Services (SRS) rear sway bar.  Something that I would regret a little at Mt Ascutney as the car would plow a bit and not rotate... I ended up turning up the rear shocks three clicks to compensate.  Still trying to figure out the best setup with the new suspension.   Think I will also lower the car a little (currently stock height).  We will see.

Mt. Philo Hillclimb with the other cool Volkswagens.  Both are VR6 turbo.

Top of Mt. Ascutney...

--- The Scirocco ---

It occurred to me one day that the reason I wasn’t working on the Scirocco was because I needed a transmission to start the ball rolling.

Bringing back my old 02J (5-speed) transmission that I removed from our 1.8T Cabriolet back in 2011.  Sold it because I didn’t think I needed the 5-speed as I had plans to use the 6-speed in the Scirocco.

Four 4-packs of Fiddlehead later and I was bringing it home again.

I was curious about the 13” very very very light rims that I had... with the bias ply race tires, I could hold one of these straight out from my body.  I guess that is “the” test for lightness.  Couldn’t do this with the 17” rims on the Golf with or without beer muscles.

Based on input from a number of people on Facebook (VWRacers group), these were identified as Keizer Racing Wheels with centers that are aluminum or magnesium.  They are made for lighter cars (Bill / original builder did use these on the Scirocco at hillclimbs) such as open wheel cars.

Unsure if I will keep them as I plan to use 15” rims on this car.

Two more hillclimbs in June (Okemo and Burke) and then a long break to allow me time to continue to procrastinate on my projects until Ascutney in September.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
6/3/22 7:16 a.m.

And for the consistency award at the 3 mile Ascutney hillclimb... well, they weren't giving out awards.

I guess I have the hill dialed in pretty well mentally.  I need to figure out where to get a little more time.  I think my best time at Ascutney with this car is 2:56.771 (Asctuney #2 in 2021).  Not that far off.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
7/11/22 10:06 a.m.

I can see this is a long read, so I’ll give you the short version and you can look at the pretty pictures if you don’t want the verbosity induced detailed version.

Short version:

I went off at the Okemo hillclimb that caused damage to ego (I can no longer say I have been crash free since 1999 when I first started) and the front suspension and rims.  Borrowed a cool Subaru to get a time run.  Fixed the car for the Burke hillclimb.  Drove the next hillclimb on rain tires that sucked in the hot dry weather.  Ordered new front strut and two rims to bring it back to its pre-accident condition prior to the last hillclimb of the year.  Did something fancy with Subaru  license plate.  Pictures of parts to fix the folding mirrors on my 2012 pick-em-up truck.  Go look at the pictures and watch the video.  Move along.

The long version:

Mt. Okemo Hillclimb

First time leaving the road at NEHA hillclimb.... ever... since 1999.  Yep, there was that “creative parking” incident at Mt Washington, but I was more stuck than “off”. 

Something in the left front end failed which made the car go straight in a corner.  Maybe...

No body damage or anything that there really wasn't an impact. Just lots of driving in a muddy ditch.  There was a rock that had a fight with one of my rims... guess who won?

All on video. Gopro was mounted below front bumper and was not damaged.

Here is the video of my run.  I was not going fast as I was just trying to lay down an official timed run for the day.  The road is very very very rough.

When going off, something felt strange in the steering wheel.  In the video it looked like the car was turning in and then didn’t.

Did something break or was loose, was it the rough road/loose surface... It wasn’t a situation where I was overdriving the car and just ran out of talent.  I was in control... until I wasn’t.

Originally I though the strut failed, but that isn’t the case as the left rim was only damaged in one section where it came in contact with the strut.  This means the wheel was not rotating when the strut was damaged, therefore, thus, and hence... the wheel was already locked up and I had already left the road.

The only thing that was loose was the left front ball joint nut... I could turn the nut with my fingers.  It is doubtful that the tapered ball joint left the knuckle and returned.

Here is the video... the “off” looks more exciting than it actually was.  The GoPro just got a ride through grass and mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0sSA1Eqdto

In other news... I purchased a new computer this year, which means I no longer have Photoshop.  I can’t find the CD and don’t want to purchase... nay... “rent” a new subscription based Photoshop, therefore, I’m stuck with the Windows 11 Microsoft Photos program that is clunky.  I’m still looking at options to replace my Photoshop CS3 (yes... very old program, but did everything I needed).

One of my settings in Photoshop was to always save photos with lower case file extensions as my server is case sensitive.  Not an option in MS Photos. 

Back to the 1980’s Command prompt for some “ren *.JPG *.jpg” action.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

In a hole in the ditch.

Left the road way back here, thankfully there was a ditch that kept me near the road instead of having a wooded adventure that would have broken a lot more that suspension parts and wheels.  I consider myself lucky.

This was in corner 29... the corner 30 sign was directly in front of the car when it finally stopped (seems I didn’t have good tires to stop in the mud)... and corner 30 is the final corner prior to the finish line. So close.

Don and Patrick (his first recovery) returning the Golf to the road and a picture from checkpoint 6 (thanks Manu of Frog Racing) of the Golf finally “on the hook”.

Since I didn’t have a timed run for this event (important for series points), Bob Lyle trusted me to take a run in his pretty sweet Subaru.   I went very very slow just to get a time.  For reference, my time on Saturday in the Golf was 2:33.87 and my intentionally slow time in the Subaru was 4:25.48. 

It was a very nice car to drive... good low end power, crackled/popped when getting off the throttle (sounded cool), and handled great.  Love the car.  Not that he will see this... but, Thank you Bob!

An apology to the other drivers for holding up the event for an hour while extracting my car, “thank you” to Don and Patrick for extracting the car without causing more damage, and “thank you” to those who checked out the car after the event trying to determine what was broken and helped to push the car into the trailer.  Gotta love the local hillclimb family!

2021 Subaru STI intermission....

On the 2009 Subaru WRX that I sold, when removing the rear license plate, I noticed that the plate damaged the body of the car.  The rusty damage was caused by the plate making contact with the body for many years.  To avoid this, I added some 1/4" nylon spacers to the backside of the plate, nylon washer to the front, used 1” long stainless steel screws (slightly longer than stock to account for the spacer), and mounted it with four screws instead of just the two on the top.

I think the result will do three things... keep the plate off the body to avoid damage/rust, allow water behind the plate to keep the body clean, and allow some air flow in back of the plate so not to trap water.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I backed the trailer up to the garage to allow me to unload the car in the driveway as I had some serious cleaning to do to remove the mud prior to putting the car in the garage.  Surprising all the spots that the mud was hiding... even after all the cleaning, I was still dealing with dried mud while working on the car in the garage.

After unloading, I had to get the truck/trailer out of the way.  To help me back up without hitting stuff, I found a good use for the home video system.  Out of body experience backup camera system (patent pending). 

On jackstands, all four wheels off, skid plate off... enter a hose for an hour to clean as much mud as possible off the car.

I think the mud on the skid plate was from the extraction process.

Using the medium size Kabota tractor with fork lift attachment to move the car into the garage.  The loader lift capacity is only 800 pounds, but it did help lighten the front end of the car a little to help with the wheels pointing different directions while pushing it into the garage.

Might have been a little easier using my friend/neighbor’s larger tracker with 2400 pound lift capacity.  Anyway... it worked.

Going for the stanced look.

At the hillclimb, I was going to drive the car on the trailer (yep, even with the wheels pointing different directions), but we noticed a fuel leak.

I have a jiggler fuel transfer tube... a hose with a one way valve at one end where you move the tube up and down quickly to file the tube to start the siphoning process (much better than sucking on a hose filled with C12 leaded race fuel)... but it didn’t work for getting the fuel out of the fuel pump access inside the car because there wasn’t enough downhill to keep the flow going.

I borrowed an electric fuel transfer pump to make things a lot easier.

A rocked hit the fuel filter and ground a hole in the leading edge... the source of the leak.

Out with the old and in with the new.  One thing I learned from a fell racer about 25 years ago... it is good to write on stuff to tell you when you did something.  The sharpie has been used on fuel filters, oil filters, fly wheels, etc. etc. so that I remember what and when I did things.

I was so impressed with the electric fuel transfer pump that I purchased one when I got home.

It was different fuel can caps (including VP racing fuel jugs) to attach the intake hose to fuel cans.  The purpose of the pump is to transfer fuel from a fuel jug to your car... hence the different caps.

Runs on four AA batteries (and will function on two if needed), pumps 2.3 gallons per minute, and has an auto shut off.

The left front strut that broke after leaving the road.

The left front wheel... the only damage on the rim is from where it made contact with the strut. Because the damage was only in a small section, this tells me the wheel was already locked up prior to the strut breaking upon impact with the ditch.

I also noticed both front tires had cracking on the sidewall... I guess they were getting old.

The right front rim was damaged because it lost a fight with a very large rock.  If I navigated a little more left (further away from the road), I would have landed in a softer location that didn’t have that big rock.  But... I wasn’t exactly trying to turn the wheel left to get further off the road... turning right was my goal.

The skid plate support bar in front of car did take an impact.  The bar does across the front of the car under the intercooler and is welded to the front bumper beam.   From the front bar, there are two smaller removable support bars that bolt to the front of the subframe using the control arm bolts.  The smaller support bars give the skid plate rigidity.

It wasn’t until I started talking apart the car that I discovered the front support bar impact... this means that once again the Joey Kale fabricated skid plate protected my engine and transmission from expensive damage.

How did I notice?  I could not remove the front control arm bolts.  I didn’t know why yet.

The bolt would come out most of the way and then just spin.  I thought it was an issue with the captured nut inside the subframe, but I was able to retighten the bolt (to test the nut) and could see inside the subframe with my borescope to see the nut was still captured.

I tried all the tricks to get the bolt out... no luck.

Because I was able to get the bolt out of the backside of the subframe, the plan was to cut the front of the bolt off, tap it in a little to clear the front of the subframe, and remove the control arm.

The plan was good, but execution was clunky.

The blade on the dremel wasn’t big enough to be able to cut the shaft of the bolt as the head was in the way.  I got out my small angle grinder, but that didn’t have any cutting wheels.

My large angle grinder does have a cutting wheel, but I have no idea where the tool was to remove the grinding wheel.  So... I used the grinder to cut off the top of the bolt and the dremel to cut the shaft as close as I could get to the subframe.

Took me an hour+ to identify the issue with the bolt, work through the various solutions, and finally remove it.  Steep learning curve on the other side of the car... 5 minutes to remove that bolt.

This is how I determined the skid plate front bar took a hit.  Because the smaller support bars are mounted to the front of the subframe, the impact compressed the area where the control arm mounts causing the machined spacers to mushroom.  This is why I could not remove the bolt as the threads couldn’t get through the mushroomed part.

There are two halves... mushroomed on the left and good one on the right.

I went to the Southern California Cylinder Heads website (www.scch-heads.com) that I thought made the control arm bearings to look for replacement parts.  I purchase the bearings from https://performancemrp.com/ in New Hampshire, but figured they just resell the parts created by SCCH.

I went to the Contact page on SCCH’s site and saw “All inquiries are forwarded to Jacob at Innovative Motorsport Solutions.”  Great... don’t know who that is... yet.

I received a response from the SCCH message submission from a company called Performance MRP.  Wait... that is the company I purchased the original bearings.  MRP told me to contact Jacob who makes those parts.

Ok... I emailed Jacob and he said he could mail the parts to me or... he could meet at the Sports Car Club of New Hampshire (SCCNH) Cannan track event in two weeks (I’ve driven there!) and most of the SCCNH NHMS (Loudon, NH) autocross events... I’ve been there also.  Wait... that is a local club that I am very familiar with as they host the Ascutney hillclimb and I have driven autocross events with them over the years.

Small world!

Look at those lovely new machined parts.  :)

Of course, since some dumbass drove off the road, I had to use a special Volkswagen tool (part number 702... it happens to be my race number also... what a coincidence) to expand the control arm mounting point in the control arm.

Since I had to cut the inner tie rod off to remove it, I made a crappy tool out of wood, two allen wrenches, and some screws to remove the grinder wheel to install a real cutting wheel.

Removing the bent tie rod end.

When I installed the inner tie rods on the new rack last year, it was on my workbench where I was able to use an adjustable wrench.

This year I purchased an Inner Tie Rod Removal tool that has 7 different size inserts.

1-1/4" installed to show how it works.

The size that worked on my inner tie rod bolts was 33.6mm

The tool made it sooooo easy to remove the nut and made install very easy... especially since I could actually  tighten the nut to the proper torque spec.

Another challenge with the rack in the car is that the tool I had to install the clamps around the tie rod boot only worked with the rack out of the car.   There wasn’t enough space to use the tool with the rack on the car.  .  There are offset tools that work from the side, but I couldn’t find one locally.  A friend of mine who used to race circle track said they always use safety wire on the boots for easy install and removal.

It was still hard to use the safety wire tool in the tight space (especially the inboard side of the boot), but it worked.  Next time... zipties.

Left front assembled with everything replaced.  I just assumed that everything could have been damaged, so it got replaced.  Didn’t need to cut any corners to save a few dollars on important parts.

I used a new fully loaded control arm plus an older control arm with red poly bushing that used to be on the car.  I am working on moving the metal bushings/bearings to a new set of control arms prior to the last hillclimb of the season (Asctuney).

New inner tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints, use a new driver’s side axle just in case (sent the removed axle to Raxles for inspection), and all new bolts on control arms and strut.

I had to use my old (much stiffer) Bilstein Sport struts, but used the softer springs to match the front and rear of the car.

I ordered a new left strut, two new rims, and working on replacement tires.

For body damage, the plastic mounting piece on the front bumper was no longer attached to the bumper skin as the two tiny plastic tabs sheared off.  Not a great design.

I used black plastic welder to attach the plastic piece to the bumper skin.  Pretty easy.

When torqueing everything, I noticed there was a lot of play in the left front wheel.  Darn it... wasn’t sure if it was hub or bearing.   I grabbed a replacement knuckle, spend many hours until 1am cleaning the surface rust and chasing (using a tap... don’t have thread chasers) all the threads.

I had an alignment appointment at Green City Garage the next day... the day before I had to drive to the Burke hillclimb.

Unfortunately, I did not have two replacement tires to match what I had on the rear of the car... I had one. 

My only option was to use the Cooper rain tires.  My experience at Mt. Washington in 2021 (the only time I used these tires) is that they need wet and cooler conditions to work.  I was hoping for rain at Burke (bite your tongue!) that weekend.

The car at Green City Garage at 8am on Thursday. 

I brought the extra knuckle with me just in case the knuckle on the car had issues.   I had one spare wheel bearing to have Chris at Green City press into the old knuckle, but did not have a replacement hub.  I wasn’t sure if he had the tool to replace the wheel bearing while it was on the car or had to use a press... this is why I didn’t install the replacement knuckle on the car before the appointment.

Chris did a great job swapping out the knuckle and doing the alignment to my simple specs (-2.3 degrees negative camber and 1/16” tow out).

Friday... Welcome to the Burke hillclimb

It didn’t rain and was very hot.  Two things that just don’t work with rain tires.  I took very few runs as the tires suuuuccccckkkkeeeddd in these conditions.  Took a few much slower than normal runs as I didn’t like how the tires felt in the fast corners.  They were pretty useless with the tight corners and acceleration... tire spin and effective acceleration are not even distance cousins.  I took two runs on Sunday (official timed runs) and put it in the trailer at lunch.  The hot weather and those tires did not make for fun driving.

I still have to address a starter issue... the intercooler tubing is pressing against the starter wire... either the contact or heat is causing issues with the wire.  Joey Kale is going to see if he can route the tube somewhere else in the engine bay so that it isn’t near the starter... will also make working on the car easier in the future with less clutter in that area.

I was having issues with getting the car to shift into third ever since the first hillclimb of the season.  My plan was to swap out the transmission between Burke and the Ascutney since there was a two month break.  At Burke, I was having the same issue, but notice that it wasn’t a grinding issue (I thought it was the third gear synchro) it was more a hunt and peck situation. 

I ordered a shifter rebuilt kit from Diesel Geek and will install soon.

Next two projects... paint the garage (and purchase NewAge cabinets for more functional and better looking organization) and fix the folding mirrors on the 2012 F250 truck.

The design on the folding mirrors has a flaw... it uses plastic parts that don’t hold up.

I ordered replacement gears and stronger motors from Gruvenparts in July... um, July of last year.  Talk about a waste of a winter... I could have gotten so much more done.

https://www.gruvenparts.com/towing-mirror-gears-ford-trucks/

I also ordered some interior tools to make this project easier.

But... before the mirrors, I have to get the truck fixed.  First time ever, I got an engine warning on the dash.  Seems related to the DEF pump so I got to drive home (towing a fully loaded enclosed trailer with my car and supplies in it) under reduced power. It wasn’t limp mode, but I had far from the 800 ft/lb of TQ at my command.  Dropping it off at the 4x4 Center (great shop!) this week.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
7/13/22 1:27 p.m.

Rabbit Farmer--weren't you the one on Motorgeek in days of yore who had a hillclimb Scirocco with a 4.3L V6 taken from a Winston Cup car?  

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
7/30/22 9:25 a.m.

Might not look like much, but I almost have all the parts again... just waiting on the new strut and tires.

The car has already driven a hillclimb since the “off” but I want the soft suspension back for the Ascutney hillclimb.  Plus, I never want to have to drive the rain tires in the hot/dry conditions again.

Let’s start off with the Raxles axles.  I figured the left axle was damaged so I contacted Marty (Raxles) about sending them in for repair.

Result... inner joint was damaged and needed replacement.

What I got back looked like a new axle.  He went above and beyond and repainted the shaft and made it look new.  Heck, he even put it in a new box.  Many companies can learn from Marty with his quality products, quality service, and being an overall awesome and down-to-earth person.  Head over to www.raxles.com for performance CV axles and CV joints for your Audi, Honda, Volkswagen Acura, and Subaru.

Got the two replacement rims.  The good news about buying something new is that replacements are still available. My original rims from 2005 or so from Edge Racing went the way of the Dodo bird a long time ago.

And finally, the new control arms.  I had a hard time finding stock arms that weren’t full loaded with bushing, so I had to purchase the fully loaded arms from ECS Tuning.

Brought them down to CheeseFactory (Colchester, VT) to swap the metal bearings.  Chris said that the front bearings pretty much slid out of the control arms... this tells us they were a little “modified” after driving off the road.

Back together waiting for the replacement Gaz strut to arrive to do it all over again.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
8/8/22 8:01 p.m.

About a month before the next/last hillclimb of the season.  I was able to source one tire from a friend; I already had one extra.  Just need to mount the tires on the new rims.

Waiting for the new Gaz strut... I followed up this morning.

Redoing all the suspension back to pre-off at Okemo status (good control arms, light rims/good tires, and softer suspension) prior to Ascutney hillclimb is dependent on when the Gaz strut arrives.

That leaves a known electrical/mechanical issue that I need to address.  The intercooler pipe from turbo to FMIC is close/nearly touching the starter.   I have issues with the single wire that goes into the starter and have to wiggle it around to get it to work from time to time.  I have already cut the end and replaced with spade connector, but the contact and/or heat from the IC tube is still an issue.  I also need to inspect the connection on the starter to see if that is an issue.

I haven't had a chance to address the issue... or at least temporarily fix it... because of house projects.

Thankfully, one of the house projects was the garage.  :) x 100  More to come soon...

Oh, went the Wolfsgart-12 car show in Essex, VT.  I didn't have to pay to get in because we were raising money via donations for the American Cancer Society.  My wife drafted me.  Walked around the show for about 30 minutes and then escaped the heat inside the air conditioned buildings and saw a lot of the old local VW guys... they are getting older, not me.

Steve

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
8/22/22 7:51 a.m.

-------------------------------

**** 2014 Garage ****

I figure that I spend a great deal of time in the garage that I wanted it to look better and be more functional.  Plus, Julie’s 50th birthday is coming up and we plan to have 50+ people in the garage for the banquet.

Before...

Unpainted OSB on ceiling and floor along with a real cluster of storage.

The old workbench is a great work surface that I built many many years ago.  4x4 legs, easy to disassemble with carriage bolts (I didn’t want to screw it all together as it was heavy and I knew I would have to move it one day), custom bent metal surface, and limited open shelf storage.  The cabinet doors I added years later looked like a little kid’s first day in the woodshop in school, but they did cover the clutter.  Perhaps I will use this workbench in the shed for wood projects, plus it will be nice to retain the use of the awesome work surface for rebuilding engines.

This took a lot longer than expected. 

Had 10 gallons of Kilz “Original” for one coat walls and two coats ceiling. Ran out. Got another 8 gallons and used 7.  Ended up with two coats everywhere to cover the nail lines on the walls.

Of course, even before paint, there must have been a screw shortage.  Spent two nights securing the sagging OSB on the ceiling (found a few full 4x8 sheets that had a total of 5 nails each!) and some screws for the walls.

Taped the hell out of the surface mounted electrical conduit… something I (and Julie) will regret later when trying to remove the painted tape. That sucked.

Walls for two coats of tan. Electrical conduit got sprayed tan (close to wall color).

Filled holes, sanded, and painted the trim on two doors and two windows.

Very pleased with the results. 

I would like better looking/function lights on the ceiling, but can’t find anything that works (yet).

I think I want to do something for the floor... Epoxy won’t work with salt, but I did find this on the dark web:  https://collinsconcretecoatings.com/why-spartacote/

And interesting video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9E-mya4cjU

Ordered NewAge Design cabinets (Pro series).

* 84” tall cabinets with four shelves.

* Three overhead cabinets with one shelf.

* Two 5-drawer and one 7-drawer along with a stainless steel work surface.

Assembled size is 156” W x 24” D x 85” H

Very heavy and seems to be good/durable quality.

I think the only difference from the Bold series (next step down) vs. the Pro is the depth of everything... Bold 18” vs. Pro 24”.

Everything is already assembled, but does require installation. 

And... done!

**** 2012 F250 ****

Time to make the 10 year old truck shine.

Before...

After....  I wish I could take credit for this work. 

Rodney does car detailing as a side job and has done the Volvo (full detail inside/out) a few years ago and again this month.

For the truck he did (what he calls) "paint enhancement" where he washed, decontaminated the paint (remove iron build up), washed again, clay bar and finally do a single stage buff to remove small scratches and brighten the paint.

The truck looks fantastic. 

I’m still driving the truck as much as I can (longer trips down the interstate to get the DEF pump... well, pumping) to get rid of the problem with crystallization on the pump.  My want for a low mileage truck was nipped in the bud with a DEF pump that can’t sit; the fluid evaporates over time leaving the crystals.  Expensive to replace the pump.  Hoping more long distance driving will resolve.  I have my BlueDriver OBD2 reader plugged into the truck so that I can reset the “check engine” light associated with the pump that will reduce the power to the truck.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
8/25/22 10:06 a.m.

Okay.... now I'm done.  Some string lighting (mulit color and dimmable) to add some flavor to the garage.

No one uses our front door... if I hear the door bell, I know someone is selling something... no, I do NOT want solar panels in my field!  Everyone comes through the garage.

Instead of having the eight 100w daylight bright lights on, this will provide some quality light at an acceptable illumination level. Also good for Julie's birthday party... which is the real reason I installed them.

I hung four guide wires from wall to wall with turnbuckles to tighten them to D flat.  Ran three lengths (150'+ total) of linkable Edison bulb string lights.  It was pretty easy to do with the guide wires.

They look brighter in the picture because of my camera... it is a bit dimmer.

Happy with the results.  Some clutter to get out of the garage and I will be done.  Miller time... okay, Sip of Sunshine double IPA time.

Steve

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
11/4/22 3:52 p.m.

==== 2001 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T ====

I just realized the car is 21 years old!  Still seems like a new car to me.

Winter 2022-2023 Plans

1. Car goes to VEMS in Colchester, VT (same person who tunes the car) to remove the older 034EFI standalone engine management (ECN and harness) to replace it with a more modern ECU.

2. Kales Custom for changes to the intercooler pipe from the turbo to the FMIC.  It currently is next to the starter, which causes some issues with starting (plus it is harder to work on the car).  He will also change the hot side of the turbo (smaller)... I could change the part, but he did some an excellent job with the securing each of the bolts with safety wire, I’m going to leave this job to the expert.  Then a pause... he will get it back later.

3. To my friend’s body shop to put the car on the frame machine to ensure everything is straight after my off-road adventure at Okemo this year.

4. After the car is confirmed straight, back to Kales Custom for some changes to the skid plate.

5. Maintenance:

a. Shift bushing rebuild kit

b. Inspect and replace (if needed) brake pads

c. Make sure all current gauges work or replace them... EGT, A/F, etc.

d. Clean out behind the front fenders... common dirt/water collection area that rusts the fender and rocker

e. Check harnesses, helmet, and other safety equipment

f. Address starter issue (wire affected by hot intercooler tube)

g. Change oil, brake fluid, etc.

Get all this done by January so that I can run out of excuses to not to work on the Scirocco.

==== 2012 F250 Pick-em-up-Truck ====

Still having issues with DEF pump crystallization errors... will have to bite the bullet and get new pump installed.

And fix those darn mirrors... I will start on that when the Golf is at VEMS as I will have more space in the garage.

==== 2021 Subaru WRX/STI ====

4,600 miles

The plans... make monthly car payments and drive the car all winter!

Jason G. (a friend) did a fantastic job undercoating the car for the winter.  Last winter, we used Fluid Film, this time we used Wool Wax.  Looks great under the car followed by a hand wash.  Great job Jason!

==== 2015 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum ====

Less talk, more pictures!

I knew I had to replace the front brake pads, but I kept looking at the rusty calipers I just had to address that at the same time.

One would think that the sporty R-Design would come with some more performance-oriented brakes.  The full blown Polestar has some pretty sweet looking brake calipers... a little too expensive to swap onto our S60.

Enter the POR-15 (Paint Over Rust) brake caliper paint kit in black.

Something new to me... with all my Volkswagens, the caliper is a one piece unit with piston.  With the Volvo, the piston is one side of the setup and this large metal “cage” is the rest of the setup.  I will have to dig up the proper names for these parts.  New territory.

Kinda thin inboard brake pad.

I checked the size and thread of the mounting holes and bolts prior to painting.  I wanted to chase the threads, but not until after I was done with the paint.  All threads addressed prior to final installation.

Wire brush and wheel...

Degreaser followed by rinsing with water and drying

Metal prep. Brush on for 30 minutes and then rinse with water and dry

POR-15 rust preventive paint... effectively gray primer with a strong dislike for rust.  Two coats.

POR-15 black caliper paint.  Like the POR-15 primer, this stuff eats foam brushes.  I ended up using a one-use bristle brush and would smooth the paint with the foam brush at the end. Two coats.

I was having a hard time with the brake carrier bolts, so I just left it installed and painted the sections that did not make contact with the pads.

Looks better than rust...

The last shop that worked on our Volvo really dorked up the rims.  I wasn’t worried about inside the hole where the bolt head resides, but the paint was chipped all around the opening also.  VERY noticeable when we picked up the car and we shared this with them.  They told us that it wasn’t their fault as they were aftermarket rims.  I have no idea why that matters. They have worked on this car for years with these rims.  So... not going back there again.

Perhaps they need a set of these coated sockets... I just picked up a new set as my old socket was getting old.

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
11/26/22 10:29 p.m.

==== 2020 Kubota LX3310HSD ====

It has four wheels, so it gets a spot on my project post.

After spending 15 hours brush hogging (very slowly) the 10 acre back yard, I did an oil and filter change along with the transmission oil filter and the hydraulic filter on the transmission.   I’m not quite at the hours to change the 4.5 gallons of fluid... that should be fun.

Since we have a paved driveway, I remove the metal skids and cutting edge and installed a polyurethane set.  Pretty easy to swap and the polyurethane parts are replaceable (as opposed to having to purchase the metal part of the skid that the poly attaches).

Nothing too exciting... snow tires on the Subaru and Volvo and the tractor is ready for moving the snow. 

==== 2001 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T ====

Previously on the Golf MK4 channel... “1. Car goes to VEMS in Colchester, VT (same person who tunes the car) to remove the older 034EFI standalone engine management (ECN and harness) to replace it with a more modern ECU.”

Progress as of Nov 26... I will share some upgrades and changes when the car is done.

==== 1980 Volkswagen Scirocco ====

Previously on the Scirocco channel... “Get all this done by January so that I can run out of excuses to not to work on the Scirocco.”

Planning seems to be taking more time than action.  I didn’t have an end date goal to have the Scirocco completed, but since Mt. Washington hillclimb is in 2023 or 2024 (my guess is 2024), I would enjoy driving the Scirocco at the event, especially because it is all paved. 

A 2024 deadline is do-able, but... I would want a lot of seat time in this car prior to heading up the mountain.  That changes my end date a bit.  That possible deadline is “me” making the car 100% race-ready, but getting the body ready is only possible if my friend Jodi can fit it into his schedule.

I have never raced up a hill or on a track alone... so many people have helped to make that possible.

Time to break out the white board to capture exactly what I need to do. 

#1... spend money.

Back to planning... let’s talk about lights.

A friend of mine (Chris A.) has a BMW E21 (first generation of the BMW 3 series, built between 1975 – 1983, 2-door sedan... blah blah blah) with a BMW “M Power” M50 straight 6 cylinder... turbo!  He runs the car on VEMS and wanted a solution for the lights, directional, horns, etc.

Enter Power Distribution Module (PDM): https://www.micropdm.com/

Nut shell... replaces conventional relays and fuses in a vehicle electrical system.  This is what I am planning to run on the Scirocco with buttons on the steering wheel for directions, lights, and horn. 

Some fun reading: https://www.micropdm.com/getting-started

This is way above my head (I don’t do electrical) so I will pick both Chris’ brain and Jason at VEMS.  Doing the VEMS ECU on Scirocco and the PDN at the same time is key.

Time for me to get an understanding of high-side, low-side, CAN bus, etc. 

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer Reader
11/27/22 8:08 a.m.

I plan to be able to drive the Scirocco on the road (unsure how the side exit exhaust will work), so directionals (two buttons; blink right/left), horn, and lights (toggle high/low) are needed on the steering wheel.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eJlfBGBMzzBR67gpKPcqgljveEUqEZ7rU8jwx6CDZSg63Y3won68YXabsbwo8o1f