1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
SaltyDog
SaltyDog None
6/30/17 2:17 p.m.

I, uh. Just, hmmm. Speechless. WOW!! What a project! I can't wait to see how this turns out. Your welds look fantastic by the way. And how can nobody have asked yet about Woody?? Could we get a full pic? Sorry to hijack, but gotta see that!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
6/30/17 9:00 p.m.

oops, just went back and saw that I was not the first to notice Woody. What a beautiful bike! Out of curiosity, why did you not want to use the Jag diff and front suspension?

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/1/17 10:11 a.m.
SaltyDog wrote: oops, just went back and saw that I was not the first to notice Woody. What a beautiful bike! Out of curiosity, why did you not want to use the Jag diff and front suspension?

The jag rear end is far too wide and the gear is too tall and the lug pattern also incorrect. I know they are sought after but it just wouldn't work in my case- same for the front. I wanted a manual rack so I could run the electric column and have less things in the engine bay. The engine will only run the waterpump and alternator. No fan, a/c, air pump, etc.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/1/17 10:13 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: For sure you are going to want an e-wheel. I Built this one using the Hoosier Patterns wheels and adjusters. I welded up the frame from 3/8" 2x6" tube. When I need it, I love it. Funny thing is that it gets used mostly with a soft upper wheel to create long rounded panels without putting a raised shape in the panel; as if you were doing a rocker panel. Takes up a lot of space! Makes people think you are way more talented than you really are

Thanks man. Looks like you like to use blue tape on yours? I've been reading about that. Any more photos of fabricating your wheel? A power hammer is probably easy enough to make with an old pneumatic hammer and some steel as well.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/1/17 10:25 a.m.

This is about where we need to be with the engine.

Need to do more cuts for the bellhousing and move what's left of the trans tunnel back.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/2/17 1:22 p.m.

Any pictures of the E-wheel build would have been on Photobucket, and we all know where that went

The tape is actually holding a strip of high density foam over the upper wheel. You can use a rubber tire or even just an inner tube to do the same thing.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
7/2/17 4:13 p.m.

This is seriously cool. Very interested to see what type of power you get out of the Jag V12, and to see how it sounds. What are you thinking for exhaust?

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/2/17 5:11 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Any pictures of the E-wheel build would have been on Photobucket, and we all know where that went The tape is actually holding a strip of high density foam over the upper wheel. You can use a rubber tire or even just an inner tube to do the same thing.

I need to do some more digging on allmetalshaping... and maybe find a class in my area.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/2/17 5:18 p.m.
Challenger392 wrote: This is seriously cool. Very interested to see what type of power you get out of the Jag V12, and to see how it sounds. What are you thinking for exhaust?

The Jag engines are pretty anemic in factory spec at about 260-280hp. The cats are very very restrictive. I've heard of guys picking up 40-50hp from downpipes alone. I plan to build stainless headers and full dual 3" or 2.5" pipes all the way back. I may add an x pipe for sound- x pipes don't do any good for scavenging like on a v8 but can help give you the right amount of growl to howl. I'm also going to make larger volume intake plenums with front facing throttle bodies if clearance allows. Low to mid 300s in this thing and it should really scoot. To answer a question on the previous page this will be a street car/cruiser so I don't want to put big meats on there and destroy the classic look I'm shooting for.

I'm hoping to get a sound something like this. Down draft carbs are the back up if keepign the stock EFI is too much trouble.

https://youtu.be/0vDqzXcGUIE

This is the sound I REALLY want

https://youtu.be/LMNc7LBlWyw

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/17 3:00 p.m.

Hopping in late to say that I love this build! Kudos for going the extra mile with a V-12 power plant! I feel like way too many Ferrari-inspired builds ape the exterior styling, and skip the engine in favor of a Datsun L28 or a SBC because it's 'close enough.' To me that's a shame because what epitomizes Ferrari is the gorgeous styling AND amazing V-12s. You wouldn't build a Cobra replica for the styling and then fit a four banger or V-6 and call it close enough, would you?

I've daydreamed about how I could ballpark a Ferrari 250, but never got further than that. Your build is exciting because it seems highly ambitious, but still achievable. I'm impressed so far and look forward to seeing how it shapes up from here.

Graystang
Graystang New Reader
7/3/17 6:29 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

Totally agree...makes ya wonder why dodge would build the prowler then power it with a V6. Always thought that was nuts!

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/4/17 10:54 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: Hopping in late to say that I love this build! Kudos for going the extra mile with a V-12 power plant! I feel like way too many Ferrari-inspired builds ape the exterior styling, and skip the engine in favor of a Datsun L28 or a SBC because it's 'close enough.' To me that's a shame because what epitomizes Ferrari is the gorgeous styling AND amazing V-12s. You wouldn't build a Cobra replica for the styling and then fit a four banger or V-6 and call it close enough, would you? I've daydreamed about how I could ballpark a Ferrari 250, but never got further than that. Your build is exciting because it seems highly ambitious, but still achievable. I'm impressed so far and look forward to seeing how it shapes up from here.

Depending on which 250 model you like the most- for me it's the 250 lusso or series 2 gto. Did you look into the tower heist double cars? I'm not advocating cutting up more classic volvos but it really is a good base for a "lusso" too. In the movie they got away without any kind of stretch, but doing that could get you a lot closer.

https://youtu.be/0Blngf-VXzo

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_432583-Ferrari-250-GT-L-Berlinetta-1963.html

Graystang wrote: In reply to ae86andkp61: Totally agree...makes ya wonder why dodge would build the prowler then power it with a V6. Always thought that was nuts!

Ever see that 2j swapped prowler? Now that's pretty cool!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/4/17 11:05 a.m.
Graystang wrote: In reply to ae86andkp61: Totally agree...makes ya wonder why dodge would build the prowler then power it with a V6. Always thought that was nuts!

I don't know, Ford has a V6 in the new GT.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/4/17 1:52 p.m.

clearance is tight! Going to be fun making the driver's side mount especially.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/4/17 2:14 p.m.

Is that a T-5?

To Graystang, and not to derail this too much, but think about when the Prowler was built; Chryco didn't really have a better engine on the shelf already certified for use in a car. Think 300M, not 300C, for their top sedan. And the 4.7 SOHC was only EPA etc certified for use in trucks. The car was to be as much of a recycle job as possible because it wouldn't have much sales volume, so it's basically the top-spec LH drivetrain of the time in a funky wrapper.

Back to the thread; this build is shockingly cool to follow along with.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/4/17 2:45 p.m.

Miata based IRS in a P1800. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?415722-A-Sexy-Volvo-ccrunner-s-1963-1800S-Restomod

Going to guess you might be familiar with the build already?

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/5/17 10:27 a.m.

Yes that's a t5 out of a later v6 mustang rated to ~310 ft/lbs

NoHome yes I have seen that build! Very cool. Call me a redneck but the 8" solid axle is simple to fit and can hold up to the job so I think I'll really stick with that route. I can always upgrade to IRS at a later date too

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
7/5/17 3:57 p.m.

Amazing build!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/5/17 9:05 p.m.

Dang man, this is a dream build- and holy crap on the frame modification! Well done.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
7/6/17 7:39 a.m.

This is awesome, I'd love to come see it, I am in Boiling Springs, NC, so we can't be too far apart.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
7/6/17 8:32 p.m.

A Simpson design 275 front clip from a Miata Italia kit as a basis might make for easer front body work. I just happen to have some crash damage pieces saved up from my kit you can look at.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/7/17 6:27 p.m.

Thank you Billy and Grover!

TiggerWelder wrote: This is awesome, I'd love to come see it, I am in Boiling Springs, NC, so we can't be too far apart.

Always like to have another eyes on it. Send me a private message if you want to.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/7/17 6:28 p.m.
RandyS wrote: A Simpson design 275 front clip from a Miata Italia kit as a basis might make for easer front body work. I just happen to have some crash damage pieces saved up from my kit you can look at.

Hey Randy,

Your photo isn't showing up for me but the italia kit might be a good starting point. Are you in NC/SC?

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/7/17 6:28 p.m.

Made the mounts. Although it took a while it was a lot more straight forward than I thought it could be.

Final test fit

tacked into place

set into place with only 4 small tacks per mount. Well that's reassurance that I can burn in strong welds! I need to fill my argon tank so I can finish the welds.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/8/17 4:23 a.m.

2x4" tube origami is a great game. Nice mounts.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CVtIPAVi92uqVrYCdJjfKoy7oNizYLl7PFa4Ds0RTwX37zXl5CooVmBel3thYG4x