1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 115
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/19 3:29 p.m.

#like?

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/16/19 3:33 p.m.

C4 sounds like a good plan. Should be more reliable than the AOD if I'm not mistaken.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
6/17/19 7:30 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

As suspected.  The AOD was going to be questionable long term even if you were able to get it to run right due to the unknown history. The good news?  Much was learned from the experience and the new tranny should last considerably longer and has a warranty.  Watching for the arrival for the C4...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/18/19 10:19 p.m.

Engine all loose and ready to come out for the third time. good thing it is easy to yank out.

Well....Though a decision path that was about as linear at the passages in the AOD valve body, ( and some beer)...Drumroll.... 

It is going to be a T5 manual box.

Stand by for what will be an equally exciting mechanical and matrimonial adventure.

Pete

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/19 1:33 a.m.

Well OK. Did not see that coming

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/19/19 5:17 a.m.

I like.  Hopefully the missus will too.

History on the particular T5 you're using?  Clutch actuation via - hyd or cable?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/19/19 5:28 a.m.

In reply to MichaelYount :

It currently resides in my  friends Mustand who wants to put in a C4. Said Mustang will have plates by this week-end so I can take the gearbox for a test drive to establish condition. If good to go, the box comes out and goes in the Molvo. If it is in need of work there is a well know T5 rebuilder just down the road who does nothing but T5 boxes for reasonable $$$.  

All I have to come up with is the hydraulic clutch actuation. Easy button is to follow the Monster Miata formula as ( kinda) described in Martins assembly manual. 

Pete

Samebutdifferent
6/19/19 7:53 a.m.

Well, that escalated quickly...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

while i love the idea of a T5 in this car, are you sure you want to go down that road with Mama?   i mean, there's a risk that this makes her not love the car, and that would suck. but if she's willing to give it a go, you might as well have at it. 

at the end of the day though, it's just metal and money, so if she tries the T5 and decides she wants it to be automatic you can always go back.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
6/19/19 10:21 a.m.

I think a juice clutch release setup would be very preferable to cable, especially for a swap situation like this, where key aspects may not allow for a drop-in clutch cable taken from some other existing platform (read: Fox-body Mustang).

The vast aftermarket support for the T-5 makes this even more appealing.  Good luck with the wife.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/19/19 10:47 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

She is a Redhead...what could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pete

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/19/19 11:15 a.m.

I've seen paddle shifter conversion systems for manual transmissions but I don't know if they support the T5. And they're mega pricey.

Still a life goal of mine to have a muscle car with flappy paddles, though.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/19 11:23 a.m.

I'm very curious how this came to pass w/ Mrs. Nohome.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/19/19 3:32 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

She is a Redhead...what could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pete

I do hope you were in a remote locale when you posted this...........wink

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/26/19 1:51 p.m.

The way forward involves a Miata slave and a MC for a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser 4.2L L6. The master mounting tabs are clocked correctly and the pushrod is the correct length. Dirt cheap is you live south of the border bit less up here. Pretty much all I have to do is move the holes in the mounting tabs a bit to match the spacing of the Miata mounts.

Pete

Samebutdifferent
6/26/19 3:12 p.m.

Pete, at any point during the build did you add the third pedal capability to the car?  I've read through most of the posts and i can't recall if that was the case or not.  If not, I'm curious on how you will modify the existing configuration to accommodate the additional pedal with out serious fabrication work.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/26/19 4:19 p.m.
Samebutdifferent said:

Pete, at any point during the build did you add the third pedal capability to the car?  I've read through most of the posts and i can't recall if that was the case or not.  If not, I'm curious on how you will modify the existing configuration to accommodate the additional pedal with out serious fabrication work.

Mazda was nice enough to deliver the car with a third pedal from the factory. Took less than 5 minutes to stab that back in the hole.

The only cliff hanger is where will the shifter end up in the hole? I don't expect it to be much different than a Monster Miata and that works well, but I do my own thing when it came to mounting the engine so would 1/2" make trouble or not? Drumroll please!

Two cyclinders side by side. NOT my Picture.

Besides the hole elongation, need to compensate for a different rod thread

Pete

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
6/26/19 7:37 p.m.

I for one, am happy with this new development. (Selfishly of course as it's a real pain in the ass for you) 

I've been following this build and love the car, design, attention to detail, but every time I see that slushbox's grab-wang in the car it makes me go a big rubbery one...

mannydantyla
mannydantyla Reader
6/27/19 12:55 p.m.

I feel dumb for not realizing how easy it is for you to add a clutch pedal and hydro stuff by using Miata parts. Doh!

And I agree that the stick shifter will be a major appearance improvement over that ugly ass gear selector. And if the T5's shifter doesn't line up with the maita factory hole, that can be easily fixed with the numerous "center console delete" interior garnishes. 

Here's the little plastic part you would need if you want to keep the hvac and radio controls - https://www.topmiata.com/product/jass-performance-central-console-delete-kit/ - unfortunitely it only comes in black

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/27/19 2:04 p.m.

I just cut the factory t5 shifter stick in half and added a square tube z piece in it to make it come out in the factory miata spot. May or may not be needed or doable on the ford stuff.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/27/19 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Got one of those from  a previous project if needed.

Would be at least buttoning the drivetrain back up tonight if not for having promised to help a friend install an engine into his mgb. I am starting to get pumped about this thing with a real GB. It is a long weekend here so should be close to ready for a test by Monday.

Resurfaced flywheel... check
Manual GB tin piece that goes between engine and GB...check
3/4" Clutch MC ( off Toyota landcruiser)...check
Miata slave cyl...check.
T5 gearbox...check
Clutch and pressure plate...check
pilot bearing...check
Shifter...check

Missing a fluid line and fittings and need to fabricate the slave cyl mount.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/27/19 6:53 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Manual GB tin piece that goes between engine and GB...check

Maybe between the bellhousing and the engine??

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/27/19 10:06 p.m.

In reply to MichaelYount :

Yeah,,,that one. The one that somehow has to be not the same as the one for the AOD. WHY?

Never mind, I got one. Thanks to  Mustang Pete who has more Fox body stuff than God.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/1/19 8:55 p.m.

Drivetrain back in place....check

Clutch working...check

Shifter extension working....Check

The only "fun" thing left to do is get a neutral safety to the clutch pedal. On the AOD , the wires go to the transmission via a grommet that goes through the transmission tunnel directly under the heater plenum.  Need to do a bit of creative wiring cause aint no way I want to pull the dash to get at those wires.

Gives the room a new look

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/19 9:12 p.m.

I love it. I'll echo the comments of others that I'm really happy to see a manual trans in this.

1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 115

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wSYyMjMJFpvywU9j6epR8PkR67nfRPCIbmKADoBPVETtOMkpz4dFKe9s4fscNoX7