1 2 3 ... 5
Fair
Fair New Reader
12/29/14 4:43 p.m.

Wow... this forum software is BLEAK! Cannot manage to get the formatting for our build thread to look even remotely like what I wrote elsewhere. Who created this forum software, it is horrid!?!

In any case, I will attempt to link to other forums where you can read it as intended:

• http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8341
  • http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=48642
  • http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/446728
  • http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=130119&sid=56c4b229a45a0ef1d097a1a9d45969f4

When you guys manage to get this forum up to late 1990's standards (UBB code or proper HTML), I will try to port over this build thread.

series8217
series8217 Reader
12/29/14 9:58 p.m.

Welcome back to the GRM forum!

... or maybe not

Hey, you can use most HTML here. Images, links, bold, and italics all work how they should. Lists don't. Use +'s. Well, you figured that one out! Headings don't work. Substitute bold text.

I don't like the forum software that much either, but I've made do with my threads. I'd be happy to add another voice in support of some upgrades though. What other features are you having issues with?

By the way I'm very much looking forward to this build. I've been slowly building up a GM "sports car" from the same era for TTC or B. Haven't decided where it will end up yet since I'm still developing the chassis. I even have some C4 parts on it... the 2 turns lock-to-lock steering rack, and base C4 brake rotors all around.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/29/14 10:04 p.m.

Hey, you managed to do bullets. I can't do that on any other forum.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/29/14 10:12 p.m.

Thou shalt not be an uppity blasphemer!

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
12/29/14 10:15 p.m.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed by the old forum and the new one is even worse. I still check in every six months or so, then leave when I find the search still doesn't work right.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/30/14 6:45 a.m.

yeah, love the people. HATE the website. It's freaking attrocious. No one uses the vote up, hell I do not think there is a way to even see most popular threads by votes...

when 90% of the world uses a different format being the different guy can kill a forum. (which I think is somewhat the case here). Though those that put up with it are generally the type you want to stick around anyways...

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/30/14 7:16 a.m.

I'm perfectly happy with the website. I can recall having a problem with the formatting when I was looking for help with my resume but, I don't pay to get on here and I love the content so I'm definitely not going to complain.

I'm reminded of the video of the teenage girl who's wailing like someone just murdered her family because her parents bought her a car and it wasn't the color she wanted.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/30/14 7:43 a.m.

I've pretty much learned the format over the years and posted many a photo heavy build thread. If I had one sorta gripe it would be photo posting/hosting-GRM doesn't accept the format photobucket says is forum friendly. You have to hit the photo icon and plug in the address of the photo. It's an extra step that makes thing tedious. I don't know if it's feasible, but I would LOVE to have GRM host my photos for me.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/30/14 7:53 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: yeah, love the people. HATE the website. It's freaking attrocious. No one uses the vote up, hell I do not think there is a way to even see most popular threads by votes...

Umm... there are two ways. 1. Go to the "Forums" page and click on the "Top Rated" button near the top. 2. Go to the "Jump to..." pull-down at the top or bottom of each thread and select "Top Rated."

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/14 8:02 a.m.

I think the board is popular for the content and the characters and the lack of bitching about stupid, meaningless stuff like how a board is formatted.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/14 8:04 a.m.

Formatting? Porting? I don't even know what this stuff means. The site works fine for me.....

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/30/14 9:10 a.m.

the forum auto removes returns (you have to double return) etc. making it very hard for Fair to post his usually paragraph heavy builds. (this forum would take his perfectly normal thread and turn it into one GIANT paragraph with broken photo links.)

that being said I hate how fair's own forum works so... lol.

on the various other forums I frequent, something as simple as {img}{/img} handles all the image tags needed. heck, things like bold auto surround highlighted text. Instead here it just replaces the highlighted text.

multiquote is not available.

I do like the post preview. Makes life much easier to double check your post in the way it will read when posted...

edit: preview showed my tags properly, but then deleted on posting. nice feature that..

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/30/14 9:32 a.m.

You're all wrong. It's the best forum software ever and the other 99.99% have it wrong.

Thanks for the links. Cool build.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/30/14 9:34 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I've pretty much learned the format over the years and posted many a photo heavy build thread. If I had one sorta gripe it would be photo posting/hosting-GRM doesn't accept the format photobucket says is forum friendly. You have to hit the photo icon and plug in the address of the photo. It's an extra step that makes thing tedious. I don't know if it's feasible, but I would LOVE to have GRM host my photos for me.

You don't have to do that anymore. [ img] tags work fine on the current iteration.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/30/14 9:51 a.m.

well, I jumped over to the vorshlag forum. Good read. I think c4's are about to become the next e30 in terms of cheap and fast.

Can I ask that you post at least a bump over here each time you update the 'main' posts?

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
12/30/14 9:58 a.m.
rcutclif wrote: Can I ask that you post at least a bump over here each time you update the 'main' posts?

If Fair doesn't, I will.

Lots of work ahead of us.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/30/14 10:02 a.m.

fair is who encouraged my wife's 5.0's mods...

now he's got me scouring craiglist for a mythical lt1 for less than 3k.

hint: not in my area... they want 5k plus for a running manual car... even with the paint gone...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/14 10:04 a.m.

Yes, the software is crap, but the people are worth it.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/30/14 10:09 a.m.
well, I jumped over to the vorshlag forum. Good read. I think c4's are about to become the next e30 in terms of cheap and fast.

The only problem with C4's is that the C5's are SOOO much better and also getting cheap.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/30/14 10:24 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
The only problem with C4's is that the C5's are SOOO much better and also getting cheap.

I like the c4 looks better (and the interior...lol)

however, you are right. you can get early c5's for 10k. occasionally that is. good condition c4's go for that, but they usually are in better condition than the c5 at the same price point. but sometimes it's worth the extra three k to get a c5...

thing is, if you want a budget racer, 3k is a lot of tires/brakes...

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
12/30/14 10:34 a.m.

Am I the only one who spend 15 min scrolling through vorshlag crap and three different links to find anything about a c4? I are disappoint.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/30/14 10:50 a.m.
chiodos wrote: Am I the only one who spend 15 min scrolling through vorshlag crap and three different links to find anything about a c4? I are disappoint.

Oh come on, that's hardly Fair.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/30/14 10:57 a.m.
iadr wrote: Important to note that Vorshlag's board doesn't thread properly for me. I have to scroll up, click a post and read, then scroll fully back up to the top and open the next post. Completely defeats the purpose of a forum

It's a bit counter-intuitive, but you have to change the Display Mode from "Thread" to "Linear". Then all of the posts will show in sequence.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/30/14 11:53 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
iadr wrote: Important to note that Vorshlag's board doesn't thread properly for me. I have to scroll up, click a post and read, then scroll fully back up to the top and open the next post. Completely defeats the purpose of a forum
It's a bit counter-intuitive, but you have to change the Display Mode from "Thread" to "Linear". Then all of the posts will show in sequence.

this. Vorshlags forum is one of the older types that allows for multiple way's of viewing posts. I.e. reply's are nested under the post you replied too. very old bulletin board style...

he runs a business so of course the first post is about his biz. Never mind that that post is a few weeks old and that the latest post was all about the c4... it's called suspense and build up...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/30/14 12:24 p.m.

So... People complain about this board's formatting and other features without acknowledging that it just works without a lot of BS ads and other annoyances that can prevent viewing the actual content.

Then when Vorshlag's board is discussed, the excuses come flying.

I like the GRM board and while there are a few annoyances in formatting and features, I still prefer it to nearly every version of vBulletin I've seen, especially the highly customized versions with ads inserted in posts and threads, etc.

At the end of the day, the Forum/ Buletin Board is a tool for the vendor to stay in touch with some of their customers and to build a sense of community among those that visit and like every tool, one has to learn how to use it properly.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J2cZOviEXkDFybAtu9wATWA41aR2dsnTUzXnPcOvlTDoXNQA7WBDVlmqFEycQm6X