1 2 3 4 5 6
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/27/20 2:41 p.m.
spandak said:

This trip is epic. I did one similar with my dad years ago in his Boxster S. I would love to do it again

Thanks ! I usually do a trip like this yearly. Definitely a great vehicle choice for the trip 

your boxster s is perfect for this ! 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/28/20 10:16 a.m.

Glacier NP is on my bucket list.  looks amazing and glad the trip's going well.

your gas mileage is nuts for being loaded up, are you drafting those RV's?  haha.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/28/20 11:42 p.m.
ScottyB said:

Glacier NP is on my bucket list.  looks amazing and glad the trip's going well.

your gas mileage is nuts for being loaded up, are you drafting those RV's?  haha.

It's my third time in Glacier, fantastic place. We did some sapphire mining today was fun 

next 4 days is fishing 

did 90-94 mph loaded, with a/c on , cruise control on the 15 for 3 hours straight. Dropped the mpg to 28.4 MPG 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/30/20 11:51 a.m.

Almost no bugs till Montana! 

BIG NEGATIVE:   

One of the worst things I learned about the car is the terrible angled windshield on a roadtrip. Yesterday 11 hours in car all day, my face on down to my feet , and front passenger we literally were in full sun between 107-116F.

We baked even with AC on. I am so used to taking these trip with my FJ cruiser, where windshield is so far forward and almost vertical - that no sun comes inside. 

In the Si, the sloped Windshield is a huge problem. 

Additionally, Honda who is usually so in tune to ergonomics, needed to angle the OEM Navigation tilted down a few degrees so it would be more visible during the day. 

when I was young, I would do 20% tint all around day after I bought the car. These days I like the fish bowl look. Haven't tinted a car in 10 years. Really contemplating tinting the windshield on the Si . 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/31/20 12:13 p.m.

i believe mine is factory tinted.  first tinted car i've ever owned (5th car overall) after a string of non-tinted cars and i won't be going back.  its typical to see 95-100 degrees here for months on end, and it does make a sizable difference.  the rear window suffers from the same design style of being highly sloped and will cook the back parcel shelf and passengers.

on the plus size, tint looks great with red IMO.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/31/20 12:48 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

didn't think si came with any factory tint. Maybe dealer tint. 

-Agree tint on Red looks great 

-interestingly  no issues on parcel or rear passengers so far on trip 

- local shop wants $450 to tint all ceramic and $250 to do 3m crystalline clear on windshield 

- guess the days of $150 for ful car is gone 

May keep fishbowl for while 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/3/20 5:31 p.m.

Well trip is over. Car did fantastic

• Total mileage 3715
  • Total gallons used 112
  • AVG MPG 33.1 
  • $331.47 spent on fuel. 
  • A/C was on 95% of the time. 

Same trip done on my FJ cruiser 12 months ago, $716. 

Very pleased with how the Si performed. From 90mph+ runs, to the twisties of the national park, went where we asked, cold A/C, fun to drive. Fit 5, and full luggage, stuffed. No issues at all. 

This week to do list:

• Rotate Tires
  • Oil Change
spandak
spandak HalfDork
8/3/20 9:46 p.m.

You could probably get away with a windshield strip to cut down on the sun and keep the fishbowl. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/3/20 10:06 p.m.
spandak said:

You could probably get away with a windshield strip to cut down on the sun and keep the fishbowl. 

Oh never thought of that !!!! 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
8/4/20 10:46 a.m.

solid performance.  we're gonna need a picture dump of all those awesome park + fishing shots.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Will do, sir. 

Have a car on BAT that will sell next two days, dealing with that

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 11:37 a.m.

Had a new key made today. I like having 3 master keys due to shuffling the cars around in multiple locations 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/6/20 6:47 p.m.

Doing a full detail on the car found that selling Honda dealer put 3 wrong lugnuts on the car 

I bet they took the locks off and threw on whatever - when they put 4 new tires on 

looked around for few lug nuts oem online 

$7-11$ each (no big deal), but $12-15 to ship! 

instead just bought 24 lugnuts oem on eBay for $20. Free shipping

You can see one sticking out more on the wheel 

the one on the left is correct. Right incorrect 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
8/6/20 11:35 p.m.

Did the incorrect part even engage the cone on the wheel properly? That thing is huge. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/7/20 12:23 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

It goes in for a bit and "tightens," but can't tell if it goes all the way 

3 on three wheels 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/11/20 11:23 a.m.

8th gen Si's must be contagious these days.  I picked up an 06 Coupe with 40K miles over the weekend.  Now I'm going back and re-reading all the 8th gen threads as I start the usual maintenance.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 3:36 p.m.
BLRB said:

8th gen Si's must be contagious these days.  I picked up an 06 Coupe with 40K miles over the weekend.  Now I'm going back and re-reading all the 8th gen threads as I start the usual maintenance.

Congratulations!!!!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 3:37 p.m.

Car is 7 weeks old today. 

Total driven 6400 miles. 4800 of those miles were road trips. 

After roadtrip, needed to rotate tires. Will update detail on next post. 

I wanted to write a sincere apology to SCOTTYB, my partner in crime, for the next post. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 3:47 p.m.

Yes, historically I have had coilovers, and 3 sets of wheels/tires before I bought a car home. I am sure most of us are afflicted with that. However, now I am old and senile, and I keep things stock mostly, aside from apple car play, maybe tint, or shift knob. 

On this car, goal was, auto-x it. DD it with kids, and just enjoy it like my 4 door 01 GSR. Sticky rubber is all it needed. 

Well after 6 weeks of keeping it stock (I did change the shift knob right away), I couldn't hold still. Car needed oil change after road trip (done). Car needed tire rotation.

I REALLY HATE the OEM wheels. The design is garbage. Weight is porky. So I started browsing wheels with Scotty B. My tastes are Works, SSR, Volks, Mugen. Looked on Ebay, joined bunch of forums. Price looks to be $2,000 for the wheels, plus whatever it will cost to put some R888 or YokoAD08 or Yoko A052. Those are my DD tire choices. 

After almost pulling the trigger on some SSR, decided I didn't want to spend that much money. 

So started shopping budget wheels. Wheels had to be lightweight. Design that is tolerable. Those were ONLY requirements. 

OEM is 17x7 215/45/17. 

Looked like I could buy a new set of wheels for $800. Which was dirt cheap. So Scotty B did some mockups for me:

• Enkei TSV
  • Konig Ampliform
  • SSR GTX01

However I couldnt make up my mind.  ScottyB helped in doing some mockups on how they would like. Wheels were modern, decently light (18.5lb) and of course dirt cheap

So here you can see the OEM vs the mockups

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 3:54 p.m.

So I was talking to a few friends, and looking at wheels. 

Was really torn between 17x8 vs 17x9. People kept saying 17x9 wont fit. Some say would fit. It was all over the place. 

I really wanted a bronze colour or a white te 37. Was wanting to go back to my ricer days. 

I also looked at RSX wheels and other wheels that spacecadet mentioned. Those were all 17x7, which is what I already have, albeit better designs. About $300 is what everyone was asking for OEM wheels.

Then a friend called me up, and said he had a 6month old set. Due to corona, he sold his project, if I want these for $500. He said new tires, but commuter Pirelli P7, but all included for $500, I had to pick up from storage. 

Now I HATE these designs. Just like the 6UL, EVERYBODY and their grandma has these wheels last 15+ years. However, the price, and the low weight (16lb), I said why not

I went and got them.

• The design has grown on me. Due to the SBC finish, its a little different. I didn't get my bronze or white, but it will do for now. 
  • The rears fit no issue. 
  • Fronts tires are SO close to strut (like a hair space) wasn't sure if it would work. Went for a 100 mile drive, and it works fine. No issues, no rubbing. 

Of course I have NEVER had wheels first. So 4x4 look, But in my old senile age, it doesn't bother me as much. 

Steering is very light. Enjoyed the drive

• 17x9
  • 245/40/17
  • total lost weight 8.8 lb per corner
  • RPF1  flat face

I couldn't keep my promise to myself to keep it stock.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 3:57 p.m.

Here are couple of other pics. Very happy with it. OEM wheel + tire was SO heavy in comparison!

I think the saving grace was:

• Cheap wheels
  • Light wheels
  • I like the finish is different than what everyone has
  • ALSO THE 9 inch width gives it the FLAT finish, instead of the ugly bubble face they call the 8inch RPF1s

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 3:59 p.m.

The kids wanted to put the H emblem from OEM wheels on the wheels. It fit on the back, but the front due to axle nut it won't work. 

Of course, compared to my wifes DD, BBS forged, my wheels are terrible. But that is DADLIFE

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
8/24/20 4:02 p.m.

i love it.  you done good, but man i hate you for finding such a crazy deal on those yes

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 4:06 p.m.

The inspiration were these two cars, who are also running the 17x9 245/40/17.  After I saw these fit, I took the chance

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/24/20 4:07 p.m.
ScottyB said:

i love it.  you done good, but man i hate you for finding such a crazy deal on those yes

As long as you continue to be my friend, I will keep these wheels then :)

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QLt51Vza3M0t6MZTv9fGHhhcwpYCOcNYDzRJ5v9MFWw07RElVMeunTEFrUhoR5Y1