1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/2/21 5:28 a.m.

So I bought a D21.

In looking for a farm truck, you know, V8, 4WD, automatic...I came across a RWD, 80hp, manual D21. At $1500 I couldn't say "no," and actually snagged it for a little less than that.

Mrs. Poop finally asked last night: "So wtf are you DOING with this thing." I figured I'd post a build thread that I can refer her to.

The truck went into a local mechanic's shop for a clutch. While there, the owner of the shop contacted the truck owner several times about some other chicken E36 M3 stuff that needed replacing "while he was in there." 

Fast forward: Owner runs into financial trouble. Can't pick up the pickup.

As hard as I tried to resist the urge (I didn't try,) She just BEGGED to be an 80's lowrider. And that is what she shall be.

I'm a child of the 80's...specifically a child who grew up in South Florida...home of DJ Magic Mike, Luke, 2 live crew, gucci crew, mini-trucks & mullets.

While my older brothers were into metal and muscle cars (as was I,) I observed from a young age that the cars with the hot chicks in the passenger seat were the ones that went "BOOM."

It's always been on my automotive bucket list to build a wicked 80's minitruck. So here she is, in stock form.

A case of beverage to anyone who can guess the mileage within 20k.

More to come!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/2/21 6:31 a.m.

I've been watching paint guys on YouTubes show how they tape of the 715 layers of bass boat flake for a low rider dip. I bet you don't have the bawlz to try it yourself.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/2/21 7:27 a.m.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/2/21 8:42 a.m.
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/2/21 9:09 a.m.

Nice find. I've been looking for the same kinda hardbody, just with a regular cab. I will most likely have to do a fly and drive.

Glad to see you back!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/2/21 9:43 a.m.

Mine has over 200k  plus , and a stake bed with lift gate , we have only put 20-30k on it , 

only thing that died was a cracked exhaust manifold 

You still see a lot of them around as work trucks but I have not noticed a 1980s style lowered one for years , 

Time to get those old Minitruck magazines out :)

Ohhh and did the speedo pointer melt ?  Mine did !

I'm going with 350k miles.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/2/21 10:16 a.m.

311k miles

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
5/2/21 10:25 a.m.

I'm going to guess 150K miles. I can't remember the last time I saw one of them up here. The rust evaporated them long ago. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 10:32 a.m.

500k. That's a lot of tanks of gas!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/2/21 10:56 a.m.

Drop spindles, unwind the torsions, cross drill the bumpstops to soften the bump, and run D21 4x4 shocks up front.  Sway-A-Way torsion bars are a marginal improvement, and not worth the money, in my opinion.

3" angled blocks and re-drill the front hangar.  I had also de-arced the leafs and moved the rear shackle mount up, but if I were to do it over, I'd 4-link it from the get-go.  And probably air ride.

There is a collection of grounds in the harness at the right rear of the head against the firewall that causes driveability issues.  Dig it out, clean it up, and solder it.

Kinda miss mine.  It's been about 8 years ago I sold it.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/2/21 11:07 a.m.

Back in 1991 I was a young mechanic and bought my first decent vehicle, a 90 Hardbody. So of course I lowered it and did a little stereo system work. Looking back, it was very modest but as a rookie mechanic I wasn't earning a lot and I was chasing a particular girl (long gone ex-wife) around spending all my money on foolish things.

I really need to properly scan my old photographs someday.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/2/21 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I had that exact truck . Though mine was teal green with factory chrome wheels . Lost brain cells traded in a subaru justy 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/2/21 11:19 a.m.

Complete with two baby seats in the cab (and the reason I sold it and went to a full-size):

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 1:48 p.m.

californiamilleghia
5/2/21 2:22 p.m.

Does the king cab have a longer chassis or a shorter bed ?

Mine is set up wrong as they put a long stake bed on a standard wheelbase D21 , the wheels are too far forward and you really have to watch the load so its not tail heavy and  there is weight on the front suspension , 

californiamilleghia said:

Longer chassis

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 4:17 p.m.

So if you haven't gotten into Boom selection, I have had VERY good luck with the following components:

Amplifiers: 

Trauma Car Audio

Out of New Port Richey, FL. Steve Garrone has been repairing amps for years and designed his own. Had the Korean manufacturing done to his spec and they work VERY well. 

I run a TCS-1000.1d in the Silverado. It has dyno'd at 1200w at 2 ohms at 12.5v (12.5 not 14.4) 

Subwoofers:

Massive Audio

I was in love with the 8" Summo I had so I tried the upgraded version in 10", the SummoXL 104. Holy shiplap. They are in a prefab under seat ported box and with ONLY the little 1000 pushing them they are violent. They don't mind being punished but I will warn you they weigh a ton.

The one on the right... 

Cables and accessories:

Sky High Car Audio.

Best service and pricing I've found on the good-good. Look into their house brand cables and components

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 4:56 p.m.

And 61,409

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/2/21 5:11 p.m.

Mileage doesn't matter. Could be 20k and have sat for two decades in a field and it would start right up and do the job. Could be 500k and burn a couple quarts between changes, but it'll still start up and do the job. Best thing I see here is the apparent return of Cousin Eddie!

Mini trucks really do bring folks together. 

californiamilleghia
5/2/21 6:05 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
californiamilleghia said:

Longer chassis

did "Datsun"  make a long bed D21  with longer chassis like Toyota long bed ?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/21 7:58 p.m.

Needed a clutch?

234,769.8 miles. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/21 8:22 p.m.

and don't twist the torsion bars too far. 

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/2/21 8:45 p.m.

Two things tell me this is a low-mileage truck. That engine bay is clean as berkeley. Also, the front of the hood is almost devoid of rock chips in the paint. My guess is the clutch was seized from sitting too long. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eA2OmUuw8PVpiZsmNU6kY9appWWlDVTcnti2G8o1lp8YPMPwVimcarzEYmzGn3bN