1 2 3 4 ... 13
bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/20 4:21 p.m.

Nice. I'm looking forward to watching this one.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/1/20 5:20 p.m.

So asked for the stand. Got the engine 99% together now, new fuel lines, pulled the carbs apart a bit more looked clean. Got some rubber backed washers which I used to run so nothing rattles out of place and checked that the timing is clean. I did all the new gaskets with copper spray and I glass honed what I could though everything checked out really clean with a straight edge. 

Put some berrymans down all the carbs just to be safe and checked that the accelerator pumps work and they do. SO will let that soak tonight. 

Powerdercoating supplier says they have something that is really close to Nardo Grey so I am going to dig for a oven for the garage next so I can do some test runs of powdercoat. Hear is hoping for one for like 50 bucks that I can put a whole wheel in. 

Have some VW parts on the way like a black fan shroud so I can spray or powdercoat it as I am not stripping chrome off stuff to save 50$. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/2/20 12:00 p.m.

My brother has a 356 kit that he has been working on for a couple years. He's doing a lot of the things you're interested in. One thing you might want to look in to is a rack and pinion steering setup he found. It uses a Golf/Polo Mk1 rack or something like that. The info on this setup can be found on The Samba.

One thing he's heard a lot from the 550 guys is that the front fenders are really narrow and it's hard to get anything over a 185 width tire in there. There aren't many 15" performance tires available in a 185 width. "The weak link in the Spyder chain is that you can only run 15x4.5" wheels up front, with unmodified fenders. "

He just installed a Summit electronic ignition.

Here's his build thread if you're interested: Building a faux cam Carrera track car . It isn't very complete. It got taken over by a couple of the regulars so he gave up on it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/2/20 1:58 p.m.

CAinCA I am running basically the same drivetrain down to the carbs. Do you know if you can ask what he is running for jetting?

Also I have built a few 356's and one with a wide body and fixed a lot of crap from people who bought kits and got over their heads. My plan is to just put stickier tires on the front and hope for the best. I can always narrow the beam a little bit more and really go to town to get a 195/205 on there maybe. I have a set of 205's mounted on a trash set of wheels so I can use that to fab up if needed. I will not be putting flairs on this but a bolt on flair 550 spyder with a sqaure 245 setup would be really cool. 

The least exciting but definitely smelliest job is done. Ring gear is flipped. Everything looks great inside but its covered in that tar crap so its soaking with degreaser right now and then it will get power washed and scrubbed with a wire brush. My black tractor paint should be here tonight so it can get painted up. 

On a not so good not its a long axle which sucks, but axles are cheap and easy, the bad news is that holy crap are those retaining springs in tight, had to flip the gears with the axles still in. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/2/20 2:35 p.m.

I has excite.

I don't write replies like that generally, but this is really cool. I want one.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/2/20 3:29 p.m.

Trans is painted and clean steam and pressure washer and some cheap bbq paint that I used to use all the time on VW's. May do a hammer finish but I like this because it does not get splatter on the bolts.

All I need is my fan housing to show up and I am done until I get more parts. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/3/20 11:24 a.m.

Carcass is gone. Now I can bring the Viper home from my storing it at their house. 

I am supposed to hear today when I get all the rest of the parts IE the Body and Frame. Maybe even the end of this month or the start of next month. I am super happy about that.  If I can get just the body and frame then I can at least get started with assembly.  Going to a old Volkswagen hoarders' collection today to try and find a set of axles so I can run bigger tires. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/20 1:12 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

CAinCA I am running basically the same drivetrain down to the carbs. Do you know if you can ask what he is running for jetting?

Here you go:

60 idle
165 main
190 air
38 mm venturi 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/3/20 3:39 p.m.
CAinCA said:
wearymicrobe said:

Here you go:

60 idle
165 main
190 air
38 mm venturi 

Thank you.

GOOD NEWS.

Body and Chassis are done. Seats are being stitched up and I may get all my stuff next weekend. WOOOOOO Of Course that means I need to get a truck to drag it home with a trailer but woooo.

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/20 3:45 p.m.

Damn this is moving quickly. Sure you are thrilled that you'll be in full build phase soon.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/20 4:00 p.m.

Dang, I am pretty excited too. This should be good.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/3/20 6:27 p.m.
trumant (Forum Supporter) said:

Damn this is moving quickly. Sure you are thrilled that you'll be in full build phase soon.

Hopefully soon. Also you are all you locals are on block sanding duty. 

That should keep people away.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/3/20 6:36 p.m.

This thread is useless without pics. Stop teasing us. 

Im in lust. 

Ill be watching from the cheap seats.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/5/20 8:01 p.m.

The tins I got were garbage thin things that I sent back. So I epoxy primed and sprayed the chrome ones. not like anyone is going to see it by me but its all black now the way I like it.

I am supposed to get a ship date tomorrow. But the way the kit car world works I will get a call on friday that I need to pick it up that weekend. 

The side you actually see in the car 

The side you don't

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/5/20 10:00 p.m.

Do you have hp/tq targets in mind for this?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/6/20 12:00 a.m.
nderwater said:

Do you have hp/tq targets in mind for this?

On pump gas with the parts installed, in perfect conditions, it should make 185hp/160ft , which is a 1400lb car is going to be lively. If I went with larger 51 carbs it would likely make 210/170 but would lose off idle smoothness.

I have a feeling I am going to set it up for really good throttle response and not all out power and maybe even drop the RPM max down a bit so lets say ~155hp after I do that. No need to build a barn burner. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/8/20 2:53 p.m.

Boo not getting it soon. Looks like the 27th of this month is likely when I will get it. Which works out for mne I have other things to work on. 

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/8/20 2:58 p.m.

Darn it! 
I know the disappointment... even though you don't need it, or aren't ready for it.... you still want it!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/9/20 7:39 p.m.

Problem is I am ready for it. got a bay cleaned out. The Viper is in storage for the next month and I am working form home until the end of July. I could get so far. 

Manufacture says it may be earlier then planned, he likes to under promise and over deliver. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
7/9/20 9:29 p.m.

I hope they can get it to you early, I am looking forward to this build.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 6:54 a.m.
wearymicrobe said: 

Bonus Points for building this car in your kitchen.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/10/20 1:14 p.m.

Garage actually. If my kitchen looked like that SWMBO would kill me. My house was built near the ocean so even the sink in the garage looks out on the water and the rest of the city. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 1:27 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Minus 200 points for having a garage that overlooks the ocean.

You bastard.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/10/20 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Minus another 200 points now that I have two lifts and full lighting. The only thing I really need for maximum stupid over the toppness is AC for hot days. Right now I have one of those monster big fans. 

1 2 3 4 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mI4Hb0tWJW9oQq8ARr3GhQa7u76w1Z9mFAXJEgCsN3yjZq6iaL7BvP2kGpV41YzR