1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/14 9:56 p.m.

I brought home this behemoth today, a 1973 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. 472 cubic inch V8, power everything, 67,xxx original miles, 2 owners. It's been sitting unused since 2010. Follow along for a long-term program where we enjoy some car shows and cruises in the summer before selling her on.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/19/14 11:52 p.m.

When's the first autocross?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/20/14 12:02 a.m.

I bet you can get that paint to shine right back up. It doesn't look too far gone from the picture. How's the top look?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/20/14 12:35 a.m.

So.... Much....chrome.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
11/20/14 5:28 a.m.

In reply to bgkast:

It would probably look like this:

Nice score on the Caddy, Jav!

Javelin
11/20/14 8:15 a.m.

I don't know about autocross, but I'm seriously thinking of bolting on my set of ET Drags and taking to th strip at least once.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
11/20/14 8:25 a.m.

5,000 rpm neutral drop... stuff gonna splode!

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
11/20/14 12:07 p.m.

Want.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/20/14 1:37 p.m.

Such a classy ride. Time to join The Brougham Society Facebook group!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/20/14 3:57 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I'm pretty sure that would be a TH400 and a 12 bolt, so odds are no. Though it definitely will boil the tires. Also, I don't think those will rev that high, probably hit valve float well before 5k.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
11/20/14 6:21 p.m.

Lol

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/14 6:32 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to The_Jed: I'm pretty sure that would be a TH400 and a 12 bolt, so odds are no. Though it definitely will boil the tires. Also, I don't think those will rev that high, probably hit valve float well before 5k.

iirc valve float on a stock 472 is 4400 rpm.

Javelin
11/25/14 10:46 p.m.

Update:

The Caddy seems to run well.

Everything works except the wipers and the antenna. The antenna is missing it's chrome collet, so that one has probably been broken awhile, but the wipers might just be a fuse or a connection (the switch is on the driver's door).

Overall condition is just great, but it does have some surface rust on top of the hood and the paint is gone just above the doors in the little strip below the vinyl top. I am unsure if I should have those painted or not. Thoughts?

The interior is immaculate. All four cigar lighters even work and the ashtrays are mint. A separation at the top of the steering wheel is the only fault, and I will leave it.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
11/26/14 7:14 a.m.

i have an odd request but if you get a chance could you measure from the center of the firewall to the center of the core support? i have a few ideas and was needing to know that length

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/26/14 7:52 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i have an odd request but if you get a chance could you measure from the center of the firewall to the center of the core support? i have a few ideas and was needing to know that length

My bet is about 6 feet.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
11/26/14 9:30 a.m.

5 Gallons of matt black plasti dip and some airbags with york compressor.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/26/14 10:42 a.m.

Jav, that's awesome. I'm still jealous of the Saab 900 Turbo you bought with the 'blown' headgasket that wasn't. Excellent score. How did you find this and was it as good a steal as the Saab. Keep up the good work, you seem to have a knack for finding nice projects.

wearymicrobe wrote: 5 Gallons of matt black plasti dip and some airbags with york compressor.

Please expel yourself from the community.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
11/26/14 11:10 a.m.

Flat black is so played out that the fact it is played out is played out.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/26/14 11:28 a.m.

It's too cool do anything but period-correct repairs.

That said, it remeinds me of a Buick Electra 225 that could pull the front tires I used to fawn over as a kid.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
11/26/14 1:17 p.m.

Your car, and all that, but I'd fix whatever issues it has, give it a good detail, and cruise. I think I've seen a picture of my grandfather with one of those. He was a cattleman and got a new Caddy every 2 years.

Javelin
11/26/14 8:13 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Jav, that's awesome. I'm still jealous of the Saab 900 Turbo you bought with the 'blown' headgasket that wasn't. Excellent score. How did you find this and was it as good a steal as the Saab. Keep up the good work, you seem to have a knack for finding nice projects.

I found it by getting lucky. The 2nd owner had brought it to a shop I call on for work and didn't really want to fix it since she hasn't driven in 4 years. I was able to buy it for $1500. I think it will be a much better deal than the SAAB was, we'll see.

Javelin
12/6/14 9:07 a.m.

The 472 runs great! I have purchased oil and a filter, a fuel filter, and a set of plugs for it. I really don't think the car is going to need anything else besides some cleaning/polishing and fiddling with the wipers.

Looks lost in there!

Full records confirming these as original miles (never been rolled over for those of you who don't know about 5-digit odometers).

Berk me!?!??!!! It still had a 1/4 tank, too!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/6/14 9:06 p.m.

Berkeley me. You guys are getting raped on gas out there! $3.52!!!!! That's race gas money here and Michigan ain't cheap.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
12/6/14 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Yep, that's how we roll in the beautiful PNW.
Though it's not that bad closer to Canada.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
12/6/14 9:26 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Jav, that's awesome. I'm still jealous of the Saab 900 Turbo you bought with the 'blown' headgasket that wasn't. Excellent score. How did you find this and was it as good a steal as the Saab. Keep up the good work, you seem to have a knack for finding nice projects.
wearymicrobe wrote: 5 Gallons of matt black plasti dip and some airbags with york compressor.
Please expel yourself from the community.

This is flip this car not make it GRM acceptable.

Flat black sells cars, period at this price point, same with easy bags from a kit with a york. You can turn a POS in to cash with this formula. As my list of previous cars will show you this is not what I would call my cup of tea.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SKMYYVKiNxo8dOrfcjN8ZMTDhKGciuGcWr7zgvwIrsPpR3eNNBm11iSDY6yJdgJ2