WheelPowerracing
WheelPowerracing New Reader
1/10/21 8:15 a.m.

Its taken me a while to realize that I cannot rescue every car I see. But over time I have developed the occasional intestinal fortitude to deny myself the exhilaration of the initial purchase & walk away. So after looking at this car and looking at the projects I already have in the queue (sounds less redneck than yard or driveway) I told the owner I was not interested and would pass. Then I discovered a new issue. My son has acquired my addiction. On the way home his disappointment was apparent. Questions about my decision not to purchase it. Rebuttals to my answers. Ideas for the restoration. A suggestion that we make it a $2000 Challenge project like we did in 2018. At this point I realized that my wish had come true, he was more interested in cars and less interested in video games. So I bought him the project car.

So the project car in question was a former VA State Police 2005 P71 Crown Victoria, listed on marketplace as a parts car. It had right front suspension damage after running off the road and hitting a culvert. The car had been sitting in a field for 5 years and occasionally started. The owner was tired of the Facebook Marketplace flood of no shows and was ready to rid the property of this bush hogging obstacle. I was able to negotiate the permission to repair it on site over the course of a few weeks. Actual time on site was a less than 8 hours, but involved an access day for parts removal, several days waiting for parts acquisition, and parts install / drive away day.

So we removed the damaged parts and took them home. I was able to get the parts needed off EBay & Rock Auto for less than expected. We cleaned up the used EBay LCA and mated it to the new Rock Auto strut assembly in preparation for our return and attempt to drive it away.

My son was excited at the prospect of driving it home. Reassembly went well and we were able to drive it away from its 5 year grave site.

Drove it 40+ miles home (with a stopover for him to show Grandpa his "New" car) and no issues  Work continues and you can follow along at  our photo album at  https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=WPRCrownVic&set=a.680663469285551 I hope we can attend the Challenge this year, possibly with the Crown Vic we built for 2020 (but could not attend) and this one. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/21 9:56 a.m.

That's cool.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/21 10:02 a.m.

Nice!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/10/21 10:11 a.m.

I love it.  My youngest daughter ended up taking her Driver License test in my Crown Vic.  She rocked the parallel parking and everything.

Coder
Coder GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/10/21 10:24 a.m.

He's going to remember these moments for the rest of his life.  Good job, Dad.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/10/21 11:09 a.m.

Fantastic! I look forward to more!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/10/21 11:37 a.m.

Have you asked him if he wants to clean it up as nice as possible and sell it, then put the money into another car? At his age the buy/fix/sell and work into nicer and nicer cars might interest him. I did it and I'm sure many others here did also. Couldn't afford the cars I really wanted on a teen age pay check.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/10/21 7:42 p.m.

I love that it immediately was set to task with a 40-mile drive

preach (fs)
1/11/21 3:13 p.m.
jfryjfry (FS) said:

I love that it immediately was set to task with a 40-mile drive

Me too. Mostly because I love to be the victim...er...driver. I have driven a bunch of questionable stuff home with the last being my 1971 Opel 80 miles home.

I absolutely love that this is kiddo driven and will be kiddo driven.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/11/21 7:31 p.m.

Well there's not much reason to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series until more games come out anyway. Plus they're hard to get right now.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/11/21 8:37 p.m.

In reply to WheelPowerracing :

That is very cool. My dad was only into cars for the transportation aspect. He didn't try too had to stop me, but he did not encourage stuff like this either!

I grew up in Chesterfield, back when it was still pretty country. Love the Lynchburg area.

WheelPowerracing
1/12/21 8:25 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Funny you should say that. He wants to keep all the cars, but I told him he needs to sell them after fixing them and work his way up to something collectable. I found a Mercury Marauder that he wants really badly, but had to tell him we had too many projects on site presently. Part of it is selling, then being patient while holding the cash long enough to find another bargain

WheelPowerracing
1/12/21 8:49 p.m.

He has been cleaning & working on it since we got it home. We just sourced a white front bumper cover. Trying to find a spray paint match to VA State Trooper gray. Parked beside the white P71 we built for the 2019 $2000 Challenge

WheelPowerracing
1/12/21 8:55 p.m.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/12/21 9:18 p.m.

Check the paint codes for the car.  Might be an easy way to get a close paint match.

preach (fs)
1/12/21 9:28 p.m.

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Ford/Police-Car.html Tells you where to find the paint code.

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Ford/2005-Ford-Police-Car.html Paints/codes for 2005.

EDIT: NAPA up here in NH can mix color matching spray paint by paint code. Pricey but darn close!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/12/21 9:59 p.m.

^^^   preach is on it!

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/21 7:07 a.m.

I saw that one on the marketplace and thought that would be a good project.  So cool that your son is involved like that.  Secretly I wish my boys were more into cars but it will come I'm sure. 

WheelPowerracing
1/14/21 1:11 a.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

Thanks! I'll share the info with him & let him look it up!

WheelPowerracing
1/14/21 1:14 a.m.

I'm working night shift, woke up today & he had put the front bumper cover on with help from his Grandpa. 

WheelPowerracing
1/14/21 1:17 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

We live up along the Blue Ridge Parkway, lots of great drives if you enjoy curves

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r8kJ2JnAteFQi1ZaJRZQpjtuwU8hqd5r6kbvEDMhpMwuLQZzWcS3Qme4rAfsxsCB