deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
7/16/18 4:15 p.m.

I'd like to start bumming around looking for a project car, but the internet really isn't giving me any good leads. I emailed a couple salvage yards that mainly sell parts, but they don't have anything older than late 80's. Does anyone know good places to go in Central Texas? I'm willing to travel as far north as Waco and as far south as San Antonio. If there's a chance at a classic Chevy (Impala or Chevelle) I'd travel anywhere in the state. Thanks!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
7/16/18 5:48 p.m.

Best bet for finding projects is Craigslist/FB marketplace/offer up.

Good keywords to search with: divorce, project, swap, etc. Depending on your skill set, you can find anything between a heap of iron oxide to nearly-finished stalled projects.

What era Chevelle/Impala are you looking for? Those two being muscle-ish classics will definitely demand more than some of the other stuff out there.

pleiades
pleiades New Reader
7/16/18 6:14 p.m.

Not Central Texas, but CTC Auto Ranch just slightly north of Denton on 35 would have what you want, but they can be proud of their stuff. I got reasonable prices on AMC stuff when I had a Pacer, but I think they were just trying to get rid of the only Pacer they had.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/16/18 10:53 p.m.

San Antonio native here. Facebook and Offerup are picking up a lot of the people that were too stupid or lazy to make Craigslist ads, which is a whole lot of people. Downside is there's next to no information in most of the ads.  Even though i know that's where most of the market is now, I have a hard time making myself look in either one. But you should! cheeky

deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
7/17/18 7:34 a.m.

I'd really like a 1967 4-door Chevy Impala V8 (because Supernatural), or a 2-door V6. I helped a friend with a 1971 Chevelle about 20 years ago and loved it, and would like to get one of those. If those aren't in the cards for me, I have a list of years/makes/models I'd love to get my hands on. Basically, I just wanna build something really cool. My mom said she'd even let me set up on her land to work on it (after my bills are caught up) because she's a big fan of me doing stuff my siblings tell me I can't do. Last year it was getting published, next year is building a muscle car wink

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/17/18 7:56 a.m.

Like this?  I click "include other areas" and type in Rare or Project, sometimes just a specific year.

Not a Chevy ....

For some reason, this turns my head.

deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
7/17/18 9:51 a.m.

Those are both beauties! I did find a 66 Imala on CTC Auto Ranch for $2k, just home it's still there in a few months when I have that kind of money to spare.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/17/18 10:07 a.m.

it was 80's for most but some late 70's had v6 engines most before that were inline 6 .a 67 impala would be nice, put in a nice SS interior, if it were a 6 it will likely have a power glide trans. if you aren't racing  leave it in.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/17/18 10:07 a.m.

it was 80's for most but some late 70's had v6 engines most before that were inline 6 .a 67 impala would be nice, put in a nice SS interior, if it were a 6 it will likely have a power glide trans. if you aren't racing  leave it in.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
7/17/18 1:14 p.m.

Try contacting my buddy, Jeff. He has a shop in Dallas and knows guys who have gobs of old chevys.  

www.jeff-milburn.com

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/18 6:07 p.m.

Between Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. I find a lot of cheap projects on craigslist. Setup a search. Lots of choices!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/18/18 7:45 a.m.

There used to be a pretty good swap meet in Belton, just off I-35.  Not sure if THIS is the same event / sponsor - I haven't been there in 25 years ...

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
7/18/18 8:10 a.m.

I'm in San Antonio - and Craigslist has been my go-to for projects (that I try to NOT buy)...  There are literally tons of cars around, and they seem to not sell well - one will disappear, and then it will pop back up again the next month.  I recommend getting the CPlus for Craigslist app, and use the filters to sort for what you want.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
7/18/18 8:13 a.m.

Took me about 30 seconds to find this:

https://victoriatx.craigslist.org/cto/d/67-impala/6631122419.html

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/18 8:36 a.m.

How many GRM'ers do we have in the San Antonio area? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCqu9UiOE4JQwKyaNZbyMvGn2CEcqYe13ciQ0uR9TdBiWFyIfIXneLf4CKIgb9oA