D_Howard
D_Howard Reader
5/24/13 5:43 p.m.

So after recently moving back to Michigan from Brooklyn, NY, and finally getting to drive again as opposed to being on a train(public transit is wonderful just not very fulfilling) I was puttering down the road in the ol' jeep and thought to myself, this old girl has 188K miles on her, not MUCH rust and has been a reliable tank, she deserves some attention. There's only one catch, I haven't gotten a job here yet. Sooo it's gotta be cheap, but I got all the time in the world. I'm looking to just build a strong running, reliable truck that'll take on double duty as a DD and a nice camp vehicle. I'd love to have an all out expedition truck but budget wont permit, so I'll settle for something that has a little bit of trail armor, a little bit of organized storage, I've been brainstorming a tent like the aztecs had(I'll post drawings when I get one made up.), lots of offroad lights(harbor freight cheapies), and just repairing all the misc interior stuff thats broken(and there's alot). Now the scary part to me is the mechanics. The power steering pump is going out, the thermostat housing I've replaced probably 4 times now because its a cheap plastic part and will be fine for a bit then warp and start leaking again, brakes need to be done in the near future, alignment or wheel balance, I get a slight shake at highway speeds, and probably a lot more when I get into tearing the truck apart. If you guys have any suggestions toss 'em my way and without further ado here she is.

beans
beans Reader
5/24/13 6:32 p.m.

Check front toe. Mine did the shake, too. Zeroed it out fixed it.

JK Saharas look great, I miss my '99 limited with quadradrive and a V8. Best suv's, ever.

beans
beans Reader
5/24/13 6:35 p.m.

Oh yeah, get the trans flashed at the dealer to get 5th gear, transgo shift kit, sonnax lb2 line pressure booster, good fluid, 3" exhaust, eBay intake, and tune it. Mine raped with similar mods, and got 22+ mpg on the highway. Where at in MI are you? I'm just an hour south of Detroit in Toledo, and know these things like my own... Uhhh... 'boys'.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
5/25/13 6:19 p.m.

make sure you check rear brakeline, it rots under the left rear door, cheaper from the dealer. did five in six months

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LyjtYJVI70KuXP5U8pw8idKSffOdNV0vJ3CUZVL2dhBSGSfC5dmR8QGu0olJjhCr