1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/18/19 12:36 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Wow, That sounds agricultural

Easiest way to eliminate exhaust leaks is to eliminate exhaust.

16oz = 1lb... and mufflers are dead weight?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/19 12:51 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:

Wow, That sounds agricultural

Easiest way to eliminate exhaust leaks is to eliminate exhaust.

16oz = 1lb... and mufflers are dead weight?

Mufflers are totally dead weight when cats muffle it to as quiet as this is.  Maybe coming from a datsun where i’m sitting next to the transmission and 2 feet away from a 4” pipe coming out of a chambered race muffler, but this thing is quiet.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
5/18/19 3:00 p.m.

Please add an exhaust like this before I pick it up 

Patrick
5/18/19 4:12 p.m.

If the exhaust existed past the cats i would

Patrick
6/1/19 7:39 p.m.

Car needs too much for andy to challenge, so full speed ahead?  If I don’t kill it by next october, we may bring it to florida because i’m not going to have time for another all out insane build.

car has a slight misfire, which I suspect they were chasing as there are about a dozen ignition coils in the trunk.  I’ll order the proper ngk plugs.

the maf sensor seems to have fixed 6 of the 8 codes.  P1320 has returned (ignition signal, primary) and p0330 knock sensor 2 circuit bank 2.  I’ll check on knock sensor r&r.

found the noise in the front end.  Left strut shaft snapped at the top of the cartridge, spring only thing keeping from death.  Some people....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/19 7:42 p.m.

These are still in the yards down here so let me know if you need anything. 

Stampie
6/1/19 7:43 p.m.

Oh and Andy is a Bob Costas but I've already proven that. 

Patrick
6/1/19 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Front bumper cover and both fenders, left foglight.  

Patrick
6/2/19 9:25 a.m.

Ummmmm, is it just me or are front struts not available for this generation of Q?  Rock auto has rears only, ebay shows nothing except some “godspeed” coil overs, advance lists nothing.  

Is this because of the selective suspension stuff?  

Wow.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/2/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Looks like it’s some kind of external reservoir active damper deal?  ~$1200 from online oem parts place.

it’s interesting ‘cause the Godspeed coils *look* like the wrong mount type... although the eBay pic might not be representative.

time to raid the circle track catalog?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/2/19 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

The availability of Q45 1st and 3rd gen parts is almost non existent. 2nd gen parts are almost like they never even made a 2nd gen. 

In reply to Stamping :

I definitely am a Bob Costas when it comes to this years event, but if you want a job in york I need some wallpaper removed. 

Stampie
6/2/19 9:42 a.m.

That totally looks like a normal shock could be adapted. Hell I wish my 3rd gen was like that.

Patrick
6/2/19 9:44 a.m.

I’ll look under the car and check measurements, it may be a circle track catalog away from coilovers.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/2/19 10:43 a.m.
Stampie said:

That totally looks like a normal shock could be adapted. Hell I wish my 3rd gen was like that.

I wish my TL were that easy to adapt, too

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/2/19 10:50 a.m.

I have some threaded body afcos that i paid $100 for the pair if you need them 

Patrick
6/2/19 4:52 p.m.

This looks nothing like that

Patrick
6/2/19 5:02 p.m.

So we’re looking at a pair of non touring assemblies for $600, a pair of touring assemblies for $1400, a used probably blown one from junkyard for??, or godspeed coilovers for $600.  OR see if i can find an insert that fits close enough?  

I really don’t want to spend $600 for shocks on a $350 car.  

If i can pop the cartridge out maybe i can fit something stupid cheap like a $23 kyb insert for a lumina

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/19 5:48 p.m.

Time to break out the welder. 

Patrick
6/2/19 7:46 p.m.

Oh god i nailed it on the first wild ass guess.  Lumina inserts are same diameter, same shaft length, 1.75” shorter body, same thread size on nut that holds it into the housing.  Lumina strut cartridges are $26 each.  

So pull cartridge, make a spacer for the bottom, install lumina cartridge, pull bulb from active suspension light.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/2/19 7:53 p.m.

Car-part.com has several q45 struts for around $50.00 apiece.

Patrick
6/2/19 8:39 p.m.

I did the request a quote for shipped prices on the two cheap ones, but then dug up some dimensions and $26 for new is better than $50 for used and likely blown.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/2/19 9:01 p.m.
Patrick said:

I did the request a quote for shipped prices on the two cheap ones, but then dug up some dimensions and $26 for new is better than $50 for used and likely blown.  

Good point

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/3/19 3:22 a.m.

Well, that’s an impressive bit of figuring.

I’m a little bummed the picture is wrong, but not surprised.  That setup looks the same as I have/have-had on both the TL and the Sonata.  Now you’ve got me wondering about putting Impala struts on a Sonata.  cheeky

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/19 5:32 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I have a set of new Impala rear strut assemblies that I once got for free with the purchase of a '00 Chevy Impala. They can be yours for the same price if they will fit/help. 

Patrick
6/6/19 10:25 p.m.

Anyone want the TrashbInfiniti for $520.69?  

I will make strut spacers if it sells so lumina cartridges can go right in up front.  I’m considering doing something stupid.  

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OxPcj1MdiPYQL12hh17cmZdQnate6YOXXIrGzd4OylPLmWpYjNM66m4aGInwFyrj