1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/19 6:17 a.m.
Patrick said:

Anyone want the TrashbInfiniti for $520.69?  

I will make strut spacers if it sells so lumina cartridges can go right in up front.  I’m considering doing something stupid.  

I vote for stupid cause your stupid is usually fun. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 6:55 a.m.

The smart thing for me to do here would be stop immediately so I don’t end up with $1000 in a $900 at best car with zero support and may be worth less than the initial $500 investment (tow included) if I cannot get the check engine light off.  In my estimation it needs a knock sensor, front struts, exhaust is at least partially missing between cats and muffler, tires are dead not just from me roasting them, and there are bondoed over rust holes in the front fenders.

I need to give the car a good long look and do some thinking today.  Maybe it donates a 4 cam v8 to a future project, I keep the wheels because i love them, and I keep all the r200 lsd and cv joint rear diff stuff for when the r160 explodes in the datsun.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/7/19 7:00 a.m.
Patrick said:

The smart thing for me to do here would be stop immediately so I don’t end up with $1000 in a $900 at best car with zero support and may be worth less than the initial $500 investment (tow included) if I cannot get the check engine light off.  In my estimation it needs a knock sensor, front struts, exhaust is at least partially missing between cats and muffler, tires are dead not just from me roasting them, and there are bondoed over rust holes in the front fenders.

I need to give the car a good long look and do some thinking today.  Maybe it donates a 4 cam v8 to a future project, I keep the wheels because i love them, and I keep all the r200 lsd and cv joint rear diff stuff for when the r160 explodes in the datsun.  

This. Youve got $500 in keeping parts, or 1000 in a parts car. What do you want to own?

Patrick
6/7/19 8:06 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Patrick said:

This. Youve got $500 in keeping parts, or 1000 in a parts car. What do you want to own?

Why does it feel wrong to me that you’re my compass.  

Dusterbd13-michael
6/7/19 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Because if I am you are completely berkeleyed. I have made every bad decision a man can make and not be doing Federal time or get divorced.

Patrick
6/7/19 8:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Patrick :

Because if I am you are completely berkeleyed. I have made every bad decision a man can make and not be doing Federal time or get divorced.

I live vicariously through your drug stories

Dusterbd13-michael
6/7/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thank god they are stories now, and no longer my lifestyle. Amazing i made it out alive, with as many intact brain cells as i have.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/7/19 10:55 a.m.

Ugh you have the Subaru XT6 problem. Is it worth it to check LKQ for  used takeoff parts from a lower mileage Q?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/7/19 1:33 p.m.
Patrick said:

The smart thing for me to do here would be stop immediately so I don’t end up with $1000 in a $500 car.

I would not put any money into a 2nd gen Q45. Your time has value don’t waste it on this car beyond parts anymore. 

Patrick
6/7/19 3:50 p.m.

Ok but i’m going to do so many burnouts before i kill it.  I think dad still has some ranger wheels and tires from the truck he gave Evan, I’ve always wanted to do a burnout till the tires pop.  

Dusterbd13-michael
6/7/19 4:09 p.m.
Patrick said:

Ok but i’m going to do so many burnouts before i kill it.  I think dad still has some ranger wheels and tires from the truck he gave Evan, I’ve always wanted to do a burnout till the tires pop.  

We're going to need video graphic evidence of this

Patrick
6/9/19 7:47 p.m.

Sooooo the plan fell through on the other car.  Is this worth throwing $100 of struts and maybe mounts, $23 knock sensor at and hoping it stays alive?  $50 for salvage inspection on top plus about $30 in title and taxes plus whatever plates cost.  It has a valid emissions certificate so it would not need to pass till july 28 next year

if all i do is test the engine for a year then pull that and the diff bits and junk it, it’s worth something.  Kinda want to build something old around the all aluminum dohc v8

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/19 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

My vote is still for stupid. Do you need the $23 knock sensor, $50 inspection, and $30 plus in free to title it if all it'll be is a back up Challenge car and future cool engine donor?

Patrick
6/9/19 9:35 p.m.

I don’t know.  I’m torn, and torn usually means DO NOT PROCEED.  Maybe i should fix the wheel bearing in the RF of the wrx so i can go drive something fun and stop thinking about going to infiniti and beyond 

unfortunately, both stupids aren’t happening.  One got sold to the offer before mine and the other’s bidding is out of reach.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/9/19 9:44 p.m.

Don't waste any more time on this junk.   Do the Burn out until tire pops and that's it.

Focus on quality not quantity.  Your missing Power Tour because your other truly AWESOME projects and cars aren't mobile.  Get to building those.

Patrick
6/10/19 7:44 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Don't waste any more time on this junk.   Do the Burn out until tire pops and that's it.

Focus on quality not quantity.  Your missing Power Tour because your other truly AWESOME projects and cars aren't mobile.  Get to building those.

I need that every once in a while.  We’re renting one of those huge outdoor articulating forklifts when we do the garage addition, i could use it to move the q around to pull stuff.  Like flip car on side against some trees and pin it there with the forks to undo all the underneath stuff then pull engine out the top. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/19 7:47 a.m.

Does it really NEED struts? Like if you threw a knock sensor at it and got the CEL to go away, think you could sell it a lot easier? After the epic burn-out, of course.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/10/19 8:08 a.m.
Patrick said:
Indy-Guy said:

I need that every once in a while.  We’re renting one of those huge outdoor articulating forklifts when we do the garage addition, i could use it to move the q around to pull stuff.  Like flip car on side against some trees and pin it there with the forks to undo all the underneath stuff then pull engine out the top. 

Yeah,  You guys saved me from myself when I got distracting and was considering trying to rescue that BMW 740iL I bought as a wheel donor.  With automotive ADHD it's easy to get distracted if you don't stay focused.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/10/19 8:08 a.m.

Just stick it somewhere, tow it to the rallycross in October and THEN do a burnout until the tires pop...

Patrick
6/10/19 10:32 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Does it really NEED struts? Like if you threw a knock sensor at it and got the CEL to go away, think you could sell it a lot easier? After the epic burn-out, of course.

Drivers side strut shaft is sheared off at the top of the cartridge and the spring is acting as the upper ball joint.

honestly for what i paid i could pull the lsd r200, cv’s and rear hub assemblies and be ok financially with the deal.  But getting an all aluminum dohc v8 that has a known adaptation to a manual transmission out of it too is pretty sweet. 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/10/19 2:02 p.m.

Will the V-8 fit in a Miata?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/19 2:35 p.m.

Is the knock sensor the only code?

Typically all the nissans from that era the knock sensor is a code that will not illuminate the check engine light.

Patrick
6/10/19 3:50 p.m.

P1320 and p0330

Dusterbd13-michael
6/10/19 4:33 p.m.

With a 1320 trouble code, it needs to make at least one super sketchy pass down the strip with all the nitrous. Kind of like Karma.

Patrick
6/10/19 4:36 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

With a 1320 trouble code, it needs to make at least one super sketchy pass down the strip with all the nitrous. Kind of like Karma.

I thought it quite appropriate that it has a 1320 code and 0330, since 330 is my area code and i live my life a quarter mile at a time 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NTnOc0xai9lf7sKNsLjRLgE4S2IqaVCfnVuY7HIFOETd6zDhgRcLv0zzIgSwm28N