1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/19 5:03 p.m.

Ah, my bad didn't see that.

The P1320 code will be one of the coils. Usually advise to replace them all. 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/10/19 5:04 p.m.

No nitrous quarter miles with the left front spring "acting like the ball joint". At least get one left strut from eBay for $157...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/19 5:11 p.m.
Run_Away said:

Ah, my bad didn't see that.

The P1320 code will be one of the coils. Usually advise to replace them all. 

Trunk is full of coils like they went down that road already.  

Patrick
6/16/19 6:39 p.m.

So i got some news today that I don’t feel like discussing because stuff got really dark for the family about 40 minutes ago, but i am going to go forward with the replace just the broken strut and get the salvage inspection done and plate/insure it.  I found the emissions test that is valid to October, so the check engine light can stay on until next July without fixing, at which point i can just part it.  

Not turning it into a project and most definitely not making it a challenge backup plan because I don’t need one.  Just doing a repair and calling it done.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/19 7:29 p.m.

If you feel like talking about the "dark", I'm here

Patrick
6/16/19 10:37 p.m.

Thanks John.

i ordered struts and upper mounts.  $72 all in for 2 each, so i will make it work then go to the q45 forum and sell kits to put w body struts in.  Not really.  After the day we had and knowing what’s to come, I had to do something relaxing and looking forward, which is buying parts for me.  

My cousin Becky is like my big sister, we’ve always been close and she used to live with us.  Her husband passed away today.  I’m not going to air any details but it’s bad.  Please keep her and the rest of the family in your thoughts or prayers.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/19 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Sucks about the darkness man. Glad you found a direction on this. Sounds like a logical way to roll for 13 months. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/16/19 11:34 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thoughts and prayers for your cousin and family.

Patrick
6/17/19 6:27 a.m.

Run_Away I have read these cars are sensitive to non ngk plugs and saw several people report on searching the q45 board that the correct plugs fixed a p1320.  Given your nissan experience and that the TrashbInfiniti is a giant ball of deferred maintenance, do you think this is plausible?  

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/19 10:52 p.m.

Sorry for you loss, Pat.

As for your question, it's possible but I don't haven't tried it myself. I started as a lube tech in '08 and most Maximas of that vintage had already returned to the earth around here. I don't think I've ever seen a 2nd get Q45 in person. I've read you can test the signal wire of each coil with a scope and that will show which coils are out of spec by the pattern. If you've got a trunk full of them you might be able to put together a good set. I don't have acess to the service manual with me at home to share what the pattern/spec should be.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/19/19 2:13 a.m.

This link should take you to digital versions of Genuine Infiniti Q45 Field Service Manuals sorted by model year. 

https://nicoclub.com/archives/infiniti-q45-factory-service-manuals.html

Patrick
6/19/19 7:17 a.m.

All rear lugnuts stuck so hard that me standing and bouncing on a 24” breaker bar did nothing.  

Patrick
6/27/19 6:33 p.m.

I think this car is saying don’t drive me.  I fired it up to move and this happened 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/27/19 6:49 p.m.

No, it's an abused pound puppy, it wants you to prove you really do care.

Then it will eventually be a great car. It's nice looking and the V-8 with a new pulley probably runs like a sewing machine.

Leave it to GRM, these cars were invisible to me, now I kinda want one.

Looks better than a similar era Mercedes. 

Patrick
6/27/19 8:19 p.m.

Looks like the fan was probably loose.  Water pump spins fine, pulley isn’t hurt, i was going to do a new belt and the radiator is borderline dirt cheap.  Do we need that fan since it has 2 massive electric fans too?  

Also do any other cars have that radiator cap in top hose setup because i need one for the Wartburg 

all I want to do is rallycross a luxobarge.  

Also because spending $240 on coils is stupid, if it comes down to it i’m going to chop the harness and wire in LS coils if i can because I have a million of those

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/28/19 6:58 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

3rd gen Q45 has something similar. I can't remember if it's easy to separate or not. I'm going to the junkyard today to get front struts so I'll look for you. 

Patrick
6/28/19 7:03 a.m.

Thanks, this one looks like it unbolts from this bracket, which i could probably use as well, and a couple hoses and done 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/28/19 7:29 a.m.

Patrick - Dodge Dakotas have a radiator cap-in-hose but it is plastic. I got one from a JY then it cracked , my recommendation is get this from Summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hre-3423?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqufQ25aM4wIVDp7ACh1bDAK_EAQYASABEgLoLvD_BwE

Patrick
6/28/19 7:30 a.m.

Just ordered radiator and what i think is all the belts from rock auto for $111 and i forgot to put in the discount code.  Oops, could have been $107.  

So my buddy who i got this from bought a house and land 3 minutes away.  We’re getting paid to rehab the house to get ready for it to be rented.  Yesterday i found need of some structural bracing in the basement.  Should be a 3 hour job, and whatever a couple 2x10’s and a couple jack posts cost.  I told him if he was ok with that i would do that repair while i’m there and call the car paid for.  He argued I need to make a living and feed my kids, so he should pay, but i argued he sold me a car and never asked for the money.  So i’ll be into the TrashbInfiniti for however long it takes me to do that and whatever the materials cost me.  Plus a couple struts, a maf, and belts/radiator.  

Patrick
6/28/19 7:31 a.m.
Agent98 said:

Patrick - Dodge Dakotas have a radiator cap-in-hose but it is plastic. I got one from a JY then it cracked , my recommendation is get this from Summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hre-3423?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqufQ25aM4wIVDp7ACh1bDAK_EAQYASABEgLoLvD_BwE

Normally yes, but challenge budget dictates no $25 inline radiator caps

Stampie
6/28/19 3:08 p.m.

Appears that 1st and 3rd gen had that cast as part of the water pump. No 2nd gen in the yard. 

Patrick
6/29/19 11:28 a.m.

Rock auto to the rescue, though i’m not changing it until after next weekend.  

Patrick
7/17/19 7:21 p.m.

Belts are here.  Also for some reason my buddy called me today and said he has the paperwork done for the car, signed over to me, and i can just have it.  So free Q45?

Stampie
7/17/19 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'm pretty sure FMV for a Q45 has been established at $50. 

Patrick
7/17/19 7:53 p.m.

Yours has like 25% more horsepower so I would argue $37.50

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jilNMYvD2YbIZroQJ68y1fowWzEIUB3BqjKnRMkjsgWctadhC5fUDgi3u1YPdjtt