1 2 3
jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
10/23/17 2:08 p.m.

Just picked up what I never thought I'd own: a corvette. 

But since so many here are doing it, I couldn't resist the pressure.  I know the c5 z06 is probably a better deal but I just cannot wrap my arms around one.  The c6 is just such, in my opinion, a better looking car.  And since this will be what I take to work when someone might be influenced by what a driver drives, that, unfortunately, plays a role in my decision. 

But the main reason is that I want to do some timed road race events with some local groups and don't want a car that I can blame for not winning :). 

Here she is:

https://imgur.com/a/h7wGH

Z06

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/23/17 2:18 p.m.

Nice.  What now?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
10/23/17 2:57 p.m.

Larger oil tank, tank baffle, already bought some c7 wheels to run the narrower tire for the series.  

Then I hit the track and see what's up!

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
10/23/17 3:37 p.m.

As somebody that owns a base auto C5 I'm mildly jealous, but you probably paid at least 4 times more than what I paid for mine ($5k). I will say that I like the C5 more just because it has popup headlights.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
10/23/17 6:36 p.m.

Eh, the gold chain stereotype died in the 90s. The demo now skews so old the stereotype these days is Tommy Bahama, Lipitor and a golfer’s tan. 

Congratulations on the purchase. Hope it gives you many smiles. Look into the valve spring update, I’ve known owners whose engines never gave a problem and others who were on a third warranty engine.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
10/23/17 11:18 p.m.

In reply to conesare2seconds :

Yes indeed.....  this is apparently stock with 88k so I'm hoping that it is one of the few with no issue.  But we shall see.....  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/23/17 11:27 p.m.

Congrats on the purchase! Should be a lot of fun on track.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/17 5:45 a.m.

very very nice. that should fit your projected use perfectly!

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/24/17 7:11 a.m.

Very nice. Corvettes seem to tick so many boxes, especially with the criteria you were working within, but they just seem like the less inspired choice. Sometimes that's the best decision because you'd be chasing a lot of other upgrades and setup issues otherwise.

Enjoy!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
10/24/17 7:15 a.m.

Nice. I would totally hire a stunt driver that showed up in that. Well that or something that looked like its been in demolition derby.cheeky

Ive driven one z06 in my life, a c5. Yeah, you definitely cant blame any losses on that car.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
10/24/17 11:45 a.m.

A C6 Z06 is definitely a great choice for racing, even if it might feel like overkill right now. I've always thought of it as building a sand castle with a bulldozer, haha

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/24/17 11:50 a.m.

Niiiice that is more car than you will ever need on a track

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
11/2/17 9:31 a.m.

Not much progress on the actual car but a lot of research has led me to the conclusion that this is not going to be an inexpensive car to go fast on the track with. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best approach to the brakes. The abs can be shut down but apparently only by pulling the fuse. The problem is that the abs computer controls the bias and disconnecting it leads to issues with the rears getting too much (or was it not enough?) brake.  Solution? $700 master cylinder with built-in bias

Also, the computer is looking for a staggered tire diameter f-r so I need to maintain that or I run the risk of abs and other nannies interfering.  Solution? $750+ abs controller

The front calipers are just not up for heavy track use   Which is a bummer because that was one reason (in addition to 505 reasons under the hood) I opted for the z06   Solution? $3500 brake kit

Lastly, the car uses tpms and if they aren't detected after a certain amount of time, I've read of cars actually applying brakes. Solution? Separate set of tpm sensors for track wheels $200 plus reprogramming every time wheels are switched. Or $400 track box that shuts the tpms system off. 

I am glad i didn't do this research before but am desperately trying to figure out grm ways to address these issues.  

Oh, and I haven't even had it on track yet!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
11/2/17 10:31 a.m.

Why do you want to delete the abs?  Not sure I see a good reason to do that?

You might be able to find the tpms on eBay for really cheap.  The tpms in my Porsche Cayenne are something like $120 each from the dealer, I bought a set (yeah, all 4) for $60 off eBay that have been working perfectly for the last two years...

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
11/2/17 12:51 p.m.

I've seen someone pull the stock TPMS pieces out of the wheels, put them in a sealed PVC pipe pressurized to 40psi and leave it in the trunk. 

Might be the home depot solution to taht issue.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/2/17 1:02 p.m.

I've driven a car with ABS on track and it was brilliant. I don't know how the Corvette ABS works but it has to be even better than the 90s car I was driving. Also, solution to the desire for tire stagger: get staggered tires?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
11/3/17 9:29 a.m.

You are all correct - 

perhaps the abs would be suitable on track.  I have never driven it on the track so I can't say for sure but some guys found it to be a handicap.  I know a lot of guys say it's good but a lot of guys don't really push these cars too hard either. :)

tpms....   I've heard of the sensors in the tube.  My concern is that if one goes bad, even in the tube, it will cause interference that would be bad.  

I could buy additional sets but that's still money I'd rather put towards making the car better plus I have to buy a programmer. :(.   Not the end of the world but I'd rather just eliminate it for the track. 

Tire stagger - I wanted square (same tire on all 4) for two reasons - less expensive and I can rotate thoroughly.  I probably will just buy staggered tires. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
11/7/17 1:31 p.m.

I spoke with a guy on the east coast who just won some championship in a c6 z06 and he was gracious enough to give me some insight. 

He runs abs which is good enough for me to at least start with. 

I'm  just going to run the staggered size tires. 

Ill pull the steering wheel sensor to disable traction control, active handling and the tpms sensors. 

So....  I pulled the oil tank and it is headed east to lingenfelter to have them enlarge it. $350.  Ouch.  I could do it but the time and trial and error just leads me to write the check.  Also ordered the tAnk baffle from aviaid   All of this in an attempt to eliminate oil starvation. 

Next is a brake duct mod that shouldnt be too much $$$.  I'm going to make my own spindle duct instead of paying $180 for them. 

I think I'll end up pulling the heads and having them gone through to eliminate the valve dropping possibility.  

Also found two tow hooks for a good price used.  Still, it's a big step when I'm used to fabbing this stuff up for free.  

But time and no test fitting make it worth the $50. 

Also going to get an alcantara steering wheel cover and sew it on.  I've always wanted one and this way I keep the airbag. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/22/18 12:21 a.m.

Well a lot has been happening since I got the car - a lot except actually driving it.  I managed to go through less than a tank of gas before planting it on the lift where it has been gathering dust for some time.

Right before I did that, I bought a used set of wheels and a hood vent that I got a little discount on for Black Friday after reading about the sale on one of the e36 m3 threads here. 

It had had an awesome template, replete with lines to guide the cutting and holes to drill a specific sized hole.  I assumed that the cutting lines would hit the holes just right to make perfect, radiused corners.  I didn't double check and I remembered why I shouldn't assume anything  :(   At least you can't see the corners with the vent in.

This is what it looked like before undergoing some semi-major surgery:

Even though I completely fit the demographic these are known for (middle aged man who wants to look cooler than he is), I really fought getting one. I didn't need to confirm anyone's suspicions that these things were true. 

Well, in the short time I drove it, I loved it. And I drive a lot of cars for work, so driving something cool isn't foreign to me.  I just felt like I was in an awesome supercar. Which I was. But it was mine! And what is funny to me is that it cost the same or less than most of the other cars on the roads around here.  But when other parents pick their kids up at the elementary school, they don't have crowds of boys yelling and pointing. My daughter said she was embarrassed but didn't roll the window up. Made!

So with the plan to build a streetable car that can really move around a track,  I started to think that maybe there were some companies that might be interested in teaming up for some exposure. I decided to reach out to a few companies and, to my surprise, got mostly positive responses. In the interest of full transparency, I will gladly talk about which products were donated and which ones were purchased.

I chose the Corvette, and the Z06 in particular, believing that they would be out-of-the-box ready to rock on the track. After some research (which I should've done before forking over  more money than I had ever spent on a car before ) I learned that these cars have some pretty significant weaknesses. Oil pressure loss, valves dropping and taking out motors, and overheating brakes were at the top of the list.

So the first thing I did was pull the dry sump oil tank and send it out for modification to increase the capacity. The Internet says that these tend to develop problems using stickier tires on long left-hand turns. The oil is pushed away from the outlet and the g-force in the turn causes the pick-up to be uncovered. So adding more oil to the tank, like they did to the ZR1 and later z06's, allows for more time before the oil starvation occurs.

The other modification was adding a baffle to the tank to help prevent the oil from being pushed away from the pick up in the first place.   I managed to do these before pulling the car off the road and, as expected, noticed no difference when I was driving it. Which is a good thing. 

I reached out to a local suspension manufacturer called Alden American and met with the owner. Garrett is a super nice guy who's working hard to make a good product and he agreed to give me a set of his coil overs in exchange for using the car for some articles in Vette magazine.  His stuff looks really good and is available for all kinds of cars if anyone is interested. I told him I thought his stuff was actually priced too low and might turn some people off because of perceived value. So check out his stuff before he takes my  advice and raises prices.  :) 

The next issue was the heads. While there are many people who say there is a problem with these heads, there are many people who say they are fine. The way to measure the valves to determine if you have a problem is also contested and I really didn't know what to believe. My car had high miles  (90k) and I figured if it was going to drop a valve it would've already happened by now; especially since many cars ended up dropping valves with less then 2, 3 or 4000 miles on them.  

One of, if not the, best shops for doing work on the LS motors is American Heritage Performance in Torrance, California. It turns out they're very close to me and I contacted them about possible sponsorship. They were open to it and I went down the shop to meet the guys. The owner,  Kohle, and his manager, Jake, are incredibly cool and intelligent guys. The shop is amazing and they agreed to help out. 

Pulling the  heads wasn't that difficult but  since I hadn't planned on doing any more than an oil change, it was a lot more work than i had expected to do to the car when I had first purchased it.

A friend of mine, who is been building his 73 challenger in my garage, turns out to be a friend of the worst/best kind - an incredible enabler. He told me that since I've already got the heads off it would be foolish of me not to do a cam at the same time. So I agreed to buy a cam and all the related components from AHP.

To get the cam out of the front of the motor I would need to pull the radiator out. In preparation for that eventuality, I pulled everything out of the front of the car. Not super thrilled about putting the old radiator back in  I did some research and found out that Dewitts makes a very high quality unit. I contacted them and they agreed to help with the radiator and I thought it was a good idea to buy a set of their fans at the same time. These things can overheat and southern California can get hot so I figured that this could go a long  way  towards keeping everything in check. 

I ended up going out of town for a few weeks at this point to work on mile 22, a Mark Wahlberg film that will probably come out in about a year. The heads were nearly ready when I got home and I started working on prepping the front cradle to drop so I could put the cam in. 

Yes, that's right.  To get the front cover off of the motor requires you pulling the harmonic balancer. Of course; they all do.  To get the balance or off requires you to remove the steering rack. Oh man. And the easiest way to do that,  according to most people, is to drop the front cradle about 6 inches. Argh  

I realized while I was disconnecting the lower a-arms, it was good of a time as any to put extended studs on the hubs which require pulling the hubs from the car. And thanks to GM's amazing foresight this also requires popping all the lower ball joints loose to access one of the bolts holding the hubs in. 

Another issue with these cars is that the clutch slave cylinder fails.  There are, again, many theories as to why, but  fluid contamination seems to be the culprit. Unfortunately, the bleeder valve on the clutch slave cylinder is virtually impossible to access without lowering the motor. So I figured this would be a good time to lower the motor enough to add a remote clutch bleeder line. 

Once again, my enabling friend pipes up and tells me that now is also the perfect time to do a clutch and that I would be a fool to trust a 90,000 mile old clutch to handle track duty with all the new power that this thing should have.   Two nights later, I'm talking with a friend of mine about the project and he offers up, unprovoked, that if I need a clutch to let him know as he has connections with Centerforce. The next day I get a text that  Centerforce is my new sponsor!  

And now, since I'm gonna go in there, I'm might as well replace the clutch slave cylinder and throwout bearing. I reach out to Qartermaster who agrees to send me one of their nice units with a billet bearing sleeve  which solves a fairly common problem of clutch engagement issues when the stock plastic sleeve deforms. 

To address the front brakes I built cooling ducts through the fog light holes. I bought a used spindle duct and am piecing together the rest of the kit. I was hoping that this will be enough to keep the brakes cool  and solve the overheating issues that the stock brakes have but I came across a pretty good deal on a used set of front racing brakes so I bought them  

Making the scoops:

One thing is for sure – very few things for this car have been cheap. There really is a vette tax and I've kind of decided to not be as frugal as I usually am when I build my cars.  I usually will just make do with what I have but I've  decided that I can spend bigger chunks of money  if I get a good deal on something because I can make back most if not all of it back by just pulling and selling the part in the near future.

So instead of me running stock wheels that I can find for $400 like I usually do, I'm buying some pretty nice aftermarket wheels  that I can sell later for what I paid for them. 

I have purchased a set of wheels to run the 285 width 200 treadwear tires as required by some of the lower time attack classes but I don't anticipate that i  will be there very long. . So I simultaneously placed an order for four very sticky and very not-cheap Nitto NT01's.  There are definitely more expensive tires out there but this is the most I've ever spent on tires.

I also picked up a new water pump that came on a crate motor but was never used as well as a new silicone hose kit. Knowing how important a good seat is, I found a good deal on a used OMP carbon fiber seat and a passenger side seat mount that I will modify to use on the driver's side. A harness bar and a set of harnesses is also waiting in the garage for installation.

That pretty much gets us where I am today with the build. I'm still planning on hitting time attacks and local autocrosses but my enabling buddy has convinced me that I should look into running one of the local Optima events.  

Needless to say, I am very ready to get this car back on the road and see how it handles on the track. Hopefully those updates will come sooner than later!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/22/18 9:10 a.m.

You may be surprised by the fact that the Nitto NT01's aren't a whole lot stickier than the 200 "street" tires...

rothwem
rothwem New Reader
3/22/18 12:26 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Well, in the short time I drove it, I loved it. And I drive a lot of cars for work, so driving something cool isn't foreign to me.  I just felt like I was in an awesome supercar. Which I was. But it was mine! And what is funny to me is that it cost the same or less than most of the other cars on the roads around here.  But when other parents pick their kids up at the elementary school, they don't have crowds of boys yelling and pointing. My daughter said she was embarrassed but didn't roll the window up. Made!

One of my earliest memories was from preschool/kindergarten, and my best friend's dad had a Corvette with a loud exhaust on it.  We'd be playing in the playground, hear the Cor-vette pull up and knew that Stephen Tofasivic's dad was there!  I was heartbroken when his dad sold the Vette for a 300ZX, and even though Stephen tried to explain that it had TWO TURBOs, I just wasn't impressed.  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/22/18 1:00 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I laughed most of the way through this because I have a tendency to play the "while I'm in there" game too, leading to massive scope creep. It's cool you got some hookups to help out.

Really interested to see how things develop as you start racing it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/22/18 8:35 p.m.
docwyte said:

You may be surprised by the fact that the Nitto NT01's aren't a whole lot stickier than the 200 "street" tires...

I've heard that.... I wish I could do a back-to-back comparison but I'll see how these do relative to other guys on the good 200tw tires

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/22/18 8:37 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to jfryjfry :

I laughed most of the way through this because I have a tendency to play the "while I'm in there" game too, leading to massive scope creep. It's cool you got some hookups to help out.

It's a crazy game....  at one point I realized I was about to replace every wear item and even some non-wearing items just because!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/22/18 9:16 p.m.
jfryjfry said:
The0retical said:

In reply to jfryjfry :

It's a crazy game....  at one point I realized I was about to replace every wear item and even some non-wearing items just because!

Have to get back to you on that. I've heard that too. Not running a 'vette, just a tiny underpowered Miata. Ran NT01's the past couple years because I wanted race tires that I could drive across town to autocrosses. Got tired of changing tires twice a day. Decided to try the RE-71R this year. Meant switching from a 14" wheel to a 15" wheel so that might account for something. A slightly shorter sidewall, same diameter. Have already noticed the car rides a bit stiffer.

NT01's are kinda scary in the wet, FWIW.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U9GYJth39KohNXSQpQT1BdG432lfhN4BW1TGjILIfJiSugcmn3ESycbZBsfiP9ZM