1 2
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/16/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Whichever way he goes he needs to incorporate the twin kidney Grill just to identify it as not a Miata

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/17 4:42 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I think if you're planning to lop everything off, you should get it down to bare bones before deciding on a direction to go with the aesthetics. There may be features to the unibody that we can't see right now which set a tone you could follow with your fenders/cage/whatever to make it look more intentional.

Agreed. I can't wait to start getting it torn down. I just have a few side work projects I need to get some work done on first...

AWSX1686
6/17/17 4:43 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Whichever way he goes he needs to incorporate the twin kidney Grill just to identify it as not a Miata

I think that is probably a must!

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
6/18/17 6:17 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: just to identify it as not a Miata

I thought the front struts make that obvious.

AWSX1686
6/19/17 8:26 a.m.
Chadeux wrote:
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: just to identify it as not a Miata
I thought the front struts make that obvious.

That and the sound of a nice inline 6!

AWSX1686
8/29/17 10:53 a.m.

Haven't updated in way too long, so here we go.

Last few weeks have mostly been gutting the interior and everything unnecessary. It is actually gutted a little more than those pictures show, I need to take some more current pictures. The dash is out, as well as the HVAC center console thing and heater core. The plastic wheel liners are out as well.

Sunday I removed all A/C parts, removed all the stock e-brake parts, reassembled the rear brakes and bled/flushed all the brakes since I had an assistant.

AWSX1686
8/29/17 10:56 a.m.

Saturday I first had some fun cleaning up the garage and regaining work-able space on the workbench. Then I had some real fun making the seat adapter for the racing seat.

I am very happy with how it turned out!

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
8/29/17 12:01 p.m.

You might want to take it in, get the tub on a frame jig and a have it pulled back to a stock base line.

Then start removing sheetmetal.

AWSX1686
8/29/17 12:24 p.m.

Next on the list:

1. Secondary air pump delete.
  2. Coolant heater core bypass. (Gotta get those open lines out from the cabin area...)
  3. Rear shocks and mounts ordered, should be very quick and easy to replace. The drivers side rear shock has a dent in it and I am pretty sure the fluid is gone. Rock auto had a great deal.
  4. Make a floorboard for the driver.
  5. Verify what of my stock of BMW wheels fit.

And many, many other items.

AWSX1686
8/29/17 12:25 p.m.
jr02518 wrote: You might want to take it in, get the tub on a frame jig and a have it pulled back to a stock base line. Then start removing sheetmetal.

I am planning to just chop off the damaged rear end behind the suspension points.

AWSX1686
8/31/17 11:48 a.m.

Oh, and the "Speed buggy" theme may go out the door, but I haven't fully decided yet. I'll keep you in suspense!

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
8/31/17 11:50 a.m.
AWSX1686 wrote:
jr02518 wrote: You might want to take it in, get the tub on a frame jig and a have it pulled back to a stock base line. Then start removing sheetmetal.
I am planning to just chop off the damaged rear end behind the suspension points.

Is it entirely cosmetic? Or is there anything adding structure between the rear suspension mounts in the damaged section?

Might be able to buy (make!) a strut brace, etc if it measures out OK.

body shops should be able to get measurements to see if a car is in spec, or with the car in the air on your wheel thinga, maybe cross-measure points front left to rear right and vice versa? If they measure the same, then that spot is symmetrical.

Imagine viewing the car from above:

| | ok

| \ not ok bottom left to top right will be way shorter

/ \ ok

/ / not ok top left to bottom right will be way shorter.

You may be able to measure with string (not anything that stretches) with a loop at one end and a flag of tape at the other.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hFzyYKT83VCbFusuIj04zi6Xl99hrGqPvK9oYwpCzVwP29RDa3IZCZKqqJm8Q81C