1 2 3 ... 12
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 9:37 p.m.

This is a long story so bear with me.

Way back in the 80s when I was the Lil Stampie I got my car bug from my Dad. Not the normal adjust the carb and hear the V8 rumble way. He gave it to me in his own special way. The one thing I remember most from my Dad while growing up was that one day he wanted a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible.  I swear he said that more than he beat my ass and my ass got beat a lot. Only one problem, my Dad didn't get that 64 1/2 Mustang while I was growing up so it was just a dream.

Move forward to the early 2000s. I'd owned several Volvo 240s in high school and college and  88 Saab 900 Turbo while in the Air Force but those were normal cars back then. By now I'd move to Jacksonville and had a job that kept me driving all around town. One day I see an old American convertible sitting at a house. Knock on the door and no answer. Few months later I'm in the same area and it's sitting there still. Knock on the door and a lady answered. She said it's her father's but he won't sell.  Even a more few months later I see it again and when I knock on the door he answers.

He tells me that it's a 1970 Cadillac DeVille convertible. Says that yeah he'll sell so we go to look at it. It's rusty as berk and if I knew then what I know now I'd shake his hand and walk away. Instead I'm in love with this classic American vert that's probably lost a ton in rust.  He then says the magic words. He'll sell it for $1200 but has a friend that runs a tow truck. He'll have it towed to my house and let me look it over that weekend before I decide.

It gets there and I'm in love. I start looking it over. It doesn't start. It's rusted to hell but the top goes down and I look good in it. For being a 20 something I actually make the adult decision to pass.  Then I think of my Dad's 64 1/2 Mustang that he didn't get. I call the guy and tell him that I'll take it because I didn't want to go through life thinking I should have bought that rusty old Cadillac.  That old Cadillac started me down my old/interesting car path. Without it I wouldn't have the addiction I have now.

Move on to late 2008. The new Lil Stampie is just starting to walk when my Dad calls me. Says that he has the money to get his 64 1/2 Mustang. Asked me to find him one. I find him one a couple of hours north of him. Few weeks later I go up and we look at it together. Beautiful car. Best restoration I've ever seen. I tell my Dad that the only problem is it's so nice he'll be afraid of driving it. He buys it and over the next few years puts several hundred miles on it but was afraid to drive it because it was so nice.

We sold it a few years back. I thought about buying it but it would have killed me financially with a young Lil Stampie in private school. I ended deciding that it really wasn't for me because it was my Dad's dream and he'd fulfilled that dream because now he can say that he got his 64 1/2 Mustang.

So why am I telling you this story?  Because a little over a month ago spkorb put up this ad.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/challenge-prices-challenge-collection/192326/page1/

65 Suprang?  What's that?  Ok Supra enhanced Mustang. Peaked my interest enough that I sent him a PM and he replies that he'll call me the next evening. In the meanwhile he post a link the to build.

https://suprang.com/

I start to read and get deep enough that I'm like this dude build a cool ass car. This is the kind of first gen Mustang I can get into. We talk the next evening and I love it except no title. I throw out a couple of ideas and they don't work. I decide to think about it.

Next day is Friday and in car pool line I decide I don't need a car I can't drive on the street. That evening I call spkorb to tell him that I'm going to pass. When I mention title he says oh my wife and I figured out how we can do it. I immediately say yes I'll take it.

Right now Lil Stampie and I are in a hotel downtown Raleigh, NC ready to pick up Suprang in the morning. I was able to check it out a few weeks ago when I picked up the Nash that spkorb sold 914driver.

Here's the teaser pictures from my first time seeing it in person.

So what is Suprang?  It's a 65 Mustang A Code 289 V8 with the firewall and forward of a 82 Supra with the Mustang panels grafted on. A 289 is engine swapped onto the Supra metal and uses a custom Aussie made bellhousing too adapt it to the Supra 5 speed transmission. In the rear the Supra subframe was grafted in including the factory LSD. Spkorb is a genius. How many Challenge cars can claim to be engine swapped and run in stock block class?

I'm glad spkorb let us adopt Suprang.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 9:53 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Cool. 

Please get that awful 1968 gas cap off of it as soon as possible. Thank you. 

Stampie
4/15/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I hadn't noticed it but I will aim to please you.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/22 10:20 p.m.

I've been waiting for this post.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/15/22 10:39 p.m.
Stampie said:

I hadn't noticed it but I will aim to please you.

The 1965 Mustang gas cap is a thing of beauty. 

The 1968 Mustang gas cap is a thing that covers the hole where the gas goes in. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/22 10:45 p.m.

The Supra wheels look great on there. Sweet ride!

Stampie
4/15/22 10:45 p.m.

So now you're getting picky. Looking I kinda like the 69/70 ones.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/16/22 5:27 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No, no, no, no, no, no, no...

The 1969-70 cap is the one that ended up on lots of Mustangs by default when they had their much nicer gas caps stolen. The design is okay, but the execution came off pretty cheap looking up close. 

Fun fact: One of the distinguishing features of a 1964-1/2 Mustang is the gas cap. It looks just like the later  1965 cap from the outside, but so many of the early caps were either lost (left on top of the gas pump) or stolen, Ford had to add a strong cable tether to secure the caps to the filler neck later in the year. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/16/22 5:31 a.m.

Ignore the arrow in this (stolen) photo:

Stampie
4/16/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

They do right?  Now if we can figure out how to solve Woody's has cap fetish. 

First success. The trailer wasn't stolen last night. 

We locked a spare ball in the hitch. Put a wheel lock on one side, removed both tires from the other side, and took our spares. 

Dusterdb13 should be here soon and Brett Murphy also. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/16/22 8:18 a.m.

I sold my last '65 Mustang nineteen years ago, but I bought a used gas cap on eBay earlier this month.

Good to hear the news about the trailer. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/16/22 8:44 a.m.

I am still trying to figure out what a Suprang is. 

Its running a 289 w/ a Supra box and Supra suspension front and back? Too early for me I guess but I like it. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/22 9:07 a.m.

I remember loving that car at the Challenge! Excited to see it set to get back to its former glory!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/22 9:51 a.m.

I've always been intrigued by this car. The 4 lug wheels make it seem like a 6cyl.

A Supra has gotta handle better than a Mustang, right? The tasty IRS and 5 speed should really improve driving dynamics. Interesting choice to put the 289 in, the Supra 6 could have been cool. Very GRM, much want. Seems like there was a build thread somewhere online...

Stampie
4/16/22 9:52 a.m.

Teaser pic

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/16/22 10:25 a.m.

Supra stuff is cool and all but mechanicals aside, still one of the best looking cars to come out of the mid-60s.  Have fun with this one! :D

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/22 10:39 a.m.
dyintorace said:

I remember loving that car at the Challenge! Excited to see it set to get back to its former glory!

Well, let's not get carried away. It's  Stampie, not Duster, who bought it. devil

in all seriousness though, I remember following this build almost 20 years ago and thinking "I wanna be like spkorb when I grow up!"

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/16/22 10:41 a.m.
Stampie said:

Teaser pic

Ahhh... I see what you're teasing us with!

You've already removed the gas cap haven't you?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/16/22 2:14 p.m.

that was sketchy as berkeley 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/16/22 3:23 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

that was sketchy as berkeley 

^That looks like the kind of scene where the cops call you. 

Stampie
4/16/22 4:19 p.m.

More details to come but thank you Dusterdb13, Munchkin, Brett Murphy, and Lil Stampie. That was way over the top of what I was expecting. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/22 6:02 p.m.

Getting a car with no clutch and no brakes down an 18 degree incline:

We're going to to some sketchy E36 M3,
Doo da, doo, da
Holy crap, we got away with it
What a lucky day.

The scrape in the concrete and the skid mark gives clues as to how this was done.
Also, 10k steps went into getting the car and parts loaded.

Stampie
4/16/22 6:08 p.m.

I did remove it for a second just to see how it would look without a cap. Besides being the wrong one it also is very cracked. I'll see what I can do for you. 

Today was way long. We started at 8am and didn't finish until 4pm. That's was without a lunch break. I just didn't realize what time it was. It seemed like after every tote spkorb would find he'd say on that one over there goes also. 

We only had one major incident. We loaded up Michael's bed with scrap and the original Mustang rear axle. I was about to walk down when I decided riding down on the tailgate was much easier.  Michael was having to back down and I didn't think about the physics. About half way down I felt the rear axle start to slide towards me. I don't remember my whole decision making process but it basically went like:

Oh E36 M3, I don't need this axle rolling over me, what the berkeley do I do, I know get off and run backwards so I can gain time to think, ok got a second, oh E36 M3 the axle is coming off towards me, jump on top of it, motherberkeleyer that worked, E36 M3 I hear more stuff coming off the bed towards me, nothing I can do, close eyes brace for impact!

The impact never came. I think the axle stopped the rest of the stuff from hitting me. I got very lucky and came out of it with just a little bruise on my hand.  Here's the aftermath.

Munchkin took video of the Suprang coming down the hill so they'll post it later. That went much better. 

We're tired so we're staying in NC for the evening. Here's the truck and Suprang tucked in for the night.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/16/22 6:34 p.m.

https://youtu.be/bRWLQejpGWM

This is Mini_Munchkin on my dads account mainly cause ny phone is dead. I apologize now for the 20 minutes of your life you are going to waste. But we wanted video evidence of just how sketchy this was.

Mini_Munchkin out.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/22 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

(picture of bed of truck)

Yes, that is a whole Mustang front clip in the back of the pickup. Only human power was used getting it up there.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4wnvTQXQ8fHAySkGd4o6wwbLu1HyYgJHlvW3XEaHC8Yn4UVO4DgaCfJ4W6IPrklc