1 ... 3 4 5
CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
10/13/12 2:30 p.m.

Now theres one I haven't seen before, very cool

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/16/12 11:44 a.m.

again no work... but a bit of a buying spree... feel kinda like a drunk sailor... no idea how much i've spent in the last few days doh...

have some suspension bits on their way... a few tools n bits that I need should be here soon...

also called around to a few driveshaft shops in the area... there are TONS of them here (should be being in the 4th largest city in the US) and estimates ran from $75 on up to $250 to have the rear shaft shortened and the entire thing balanced... I'll go actually visit these shops with the shaft down the road so I can get a more accurate estimate and talk to them about proper measurement for how much it needs shortened

so now I need to get though these next 2 weeks of school (super busy) and hopefuly I'll have some free time to run off though houston :)

Winston
Winston Reader
10/16/12 3:57 p.m.

Sweet! You do the legwork on the driveshaft bit, I benefit from your newfound knowledge of the best/cheapest place to have it done. Win-win!

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/16/12 4:18 p.m.

lol... i'm just amazed at how many driveshaft shops are in the area...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
10/21/12 6:52 p.m.

When I went to college in Houston there was a business entirely dedicated to repairing Opels; a few driveshaft shops don't surprise me.

Not sure how the new trans compares to the old one in length, but it's been my experience that making a driveshaft shorter is always a lot cheaper and quicker. Like enough cheaper that if yours is too long finding a long wheelbase one at a junkyard is worth the $.

Beyond that, for GM stuff I have had excellent luck in the past with a tape measure and just finding one the right length, since almost everything uses the same u-joints or yokes. For my Dodge engine and 700R4 swap into the '48 Firetruck a couple of hours at the junkyard spit out a Caddy driveshaft that just needed a conversion joint on the back to drop in.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/21/12 7:36 p.m.

ya shortening is just properly cutting it and welding the yolk to the shaft then re-balance it... I could do it in theory but don't trust my welding on something so important.

if I really wanted to I could have them find a yolk that uses the GM sized u joint... but conversion U joints are cheap so i won't bother unless I have probs with the shaft down the line...

if the volvo trans didn't have a flange on it instead of a slip yolk I'd prob look for a shorter one that I could swap the slip yolk onto... but volvo did a 2 peice with a slip joint in the middle of the shaft... so going to stick with that.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/21/12 8:42 p.m.

yoke.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/21/12 9:03 p.m.

um ya... that 2...

but I was really hoping to have an egg or 2 in there somewhere...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/31/12 2:13 p.m.

minor update... again no work done but parts acquisitions :)... 4000CC worth of injectors...

RC racing injectors PL4-1000... 1000cc injectors got the set for not much more than RC's pricing for one... http://www.rceng.com/Peak-Hold-Injector-PL4-1000-Bosch-style-top-P11C5.aspx

the plug is right and should be 100% drop in fit...

so we may well be runing e85... will need a bit more pump for that though but the saftey factor in the high octane is a good thing on my small rod bottom end... and it'll be a good thing when I get a chance to go though and swap in the big rod engine... although e85 tempts me to go for a bit rod NA bottom end for the c/r bump... but thats down the road...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/19/12 8:57 p.m.

thanksgiving brake so no school for the next week... so spent some time out in the garage... cleaned it up, trashed some odds and ends taking up room that I don't need and hung my shop lights to help with the poor lighting...

also spent a little time playing with turbos also... want to use the t3t4 on the engine so looking into what it would take to use the volvo turbine housting... very different sizes for now i'm going to put it all back together and I'll get a rebuild kit and swap on the t4 compressor to the volvo/garrett unit at some point.

plan to spend a bit of time tomm working on the truck itself...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/23/12 8:35 p.m.

finally found some momentum... not much but some :)...

yesterday I spent a little time out working on clocking the tdo4hl properly... ran into some problems getting the pin out on the compressor side and called it a day... sorta...

when I bought my 945ti it came with some spares including a spare EZK and add on board so it could be made chippable... so last night after everyone went to sleep I finally pulled it out and got to soldering... will prob test it next week and assuming it works out fine I'll have one for sale that'll pay for a TLAO ignition chip (have a hi-tunning/freds) and a TLAO fuel chip already...

today I finished the wifes head liner in the deathscort... it was sagging bad so I just ripped it out, brushed off the foam and spray painted it... ghetto but its cheap and easy and getting replaced this spring...

after I finished that I went back to finishing up the clocking of the of the turbo... ended up having to get a cut off wheel to the pin... then got it all nicely clocked...

with it clocked I was able to work out the wastegate setup... I used the WG from my t3 as it's supposed to be a lot better than the one from the td04hl... so I pulled out one of the a/c brackets, the drill and angle grinder at got to work...

I had to flip the stock t3 bracket and to do that I had to cut off the 90* bend portion that interfered with the wastegate can... came out well... nice and solid.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/25/12 6:39 p.m.

bit of time out working on car stuff today...

started with removing the electric sunroof portion of the 945 and installing a manual crank... also lubed up some of the moving parts... works like a charm now... just in time for the awesome weather of fall :)

then hopped out to the garage... started getting the loom on the wire harness... another afternoon and I should have it finished up... I need to find the end plate of my relay board and drill the hole in the firewall for the harness... so not a lot left as far as electric stuff...

so nothing picture worthy but she's coming along :)

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/4/12 5:02 p.m.

finished my last exam yesterday so i'll be able to spend some more time out in the garage...

the other day I picked up an alternator belt for a 240 and discovered it's just short enough to work and gives just enough clearance between the alt and the frame rail to be safe... makes keeping track of a part a bit easier...

anyway today I spent a little time out in the garage... i've been working on finishing up my harness today I decided to run the relay board cable though the firewall... originally I planned to drill a hole in the firewall but I don't have much room in the drivers foot well area... I did some digging and decided to run it though the hole for the speedo cable... my transmission doesn't have provision for a speedo and i've got an android phone that I plan to use as my speedo (good use for an old android phone :)... so pulled the speedo cable out and slipped the cable though carefully... slipped a grommet over it... it looks good...

then I found the end plate of relay board (i'd tossed it in a box of bolts/nuts/screws)... now I just need to find the screws to mount it on the firewall again... I'd found some screws that worked perfectly so i'll have to dig though my boxes again to find where I put them...

once the relay board is mounted properly i'll be able to finish up the harness runs so I can have the wires all the proper length... so far i'm pleased with how clean the harness is looking, it's clean but will be accesable without to much issue if i need to get to something.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/9/13 1:52 p.m.

wow... 10 months ago was the last post...

well finally an update...

last Dec/Jan I "finished" wiring it up and went to start it... it wasn't getting any spark... I got frustrated and didn't touch it for a LONG while...

in May we moved into a house with a small 2 car garage... moving the truck and all my tools and crap from the apt was fun :-/... it took me a while to get the garage setup to where I could use it... I'm still not fond it because of the lay out but it's far better then the single car garage I was in at the Apt (not to mention I'm not on the 3rd floor now)

today I finally decided I was going to look at it... I verified the wiring for the ignition module was correct then checked for the dizzy... wiring all looked good so I pulled out the dizzy and just spun it by hand... it wasn't getting a signal... I plugged in one of the spare 700 series head mount dizzys and WHAM the injectors are clicking away and the computer is showing an RPM reading... the old dizzy was working while in FL but that was 500 miles, 2 moves, and 1 1/2 years ago... I didn't look closer at the block mount dizzy but I know that it was messed up when I got it so the sensor was JB welded in... anyway I still have a head mount dizzy on the back of the head so I hooked up the MS to that one, re installed the block mount dizzy and checked for spark... MAGIC

a little ether in the TB and she came right to life... and then promptly died... a bit more ether and she'd start right up again... sounded pretty good at that.

now it seems my fuel pump isn't doing anything, I bypassed the MS relay board up front and gave it power and still didn't hear it at all... so that will be my next venture...

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
9/9/13 9:38 p.m.

Making progress! Good to hear!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/9/13 9:42 p.m.

parts are still on Mongo

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/9/13 10:27 p.m.

awesome aussie... going to have to figure that out at some point eh lol.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/9/13 10:52 p.m.

It will happen, just a matter of timing

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S9CSp1txG2AsDUy1bmVpxtxU0Vtf0nadGo2NkUiESsPuB5iJLYDV6M56gp23zkF9