SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
10/6/19 5:52 p.m.

The time has come to sell my 5. It is an 08 sport, 5 speed manual, with 112k miles. I’m the second owner and have had it since 2012 and 19k miles. It doesn’t have a lot of options, but does have automatic climate control, Mazda roof rack, and fog lights (I installed factory ones when I bought it).

In the last year I have installed new brake pads and rotors on all four corners, cat back exhaust, front sway bar end links, rear shock mounts, and a new windshield. New spark plugs, secondary oxygen sensor, rear shocks, rear sway bar bushings and ends links were done about two years ago. Tires have 32k miles on them and have some left left. I have religiously changed the oil with mobile 1 every 5k miles. No warning lights, everything wrong has been fixed promptly. 

The car has lived its entire life in New England, so there is some bubbling paint/rust in the rear wheel wells (see pictures). Car is located in Westerly RI 02891.

I’m looking to get $3,800 for it. Feel free to call or text with any questions (4o1) 7four2 - 27three6 

thanks, Josh

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/6/19 10:06 p.m.

Those have a third row and sliding doors?   Neat, free bump

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
10/16/19 5:54 p.m.

I figured that with the “Behold! The Millenium Falcon! (Mazda5 content)” thread being on page 21 someone here would want a manual 5. Am I asking too much? What do you guys think this thing is worth?

Too much rust? Is is only cosmetic, there are no structural issues (I’m happy to through it up on the lift if anyone wants to come check it out). It really is surprisingly fun to drive. I was originally planning on keeping it for another 3-5 years, but the need has come up for something with some real towing capacity in my life.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/19 6:55 p.m.

In reply to SlowNB :

Some combo of rust, price, and physical location. I'd be super interested if only to swap your drivetrain and mine and then resell yours as an automatic 5. Except you're in Rhode Island and I'm in Washington.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/16/19 7:02 p.m.

Hmm... this is precisely what I'm looking for.  In the process of selling my G37 (will be gone next week) so I can buy a budget friendly long roof.  Manual trans is a plus.  I drive 40k miles per year and am looking for a reliable and relatively fuel efficient wagon to pile a E36 M3 ton of miles on.  Shopping list is Mazda5, HHR (love them, had one before), Soul, Ford C-Max, Elantra GT.  Does it have satellite radio?  Biggest thing for me is price and distance.  Live in Atlanta.  Also was considering buying 2010+ and using a 24 month loan for something cheap instead of shelling out too much cash. 

Yep, like Javelin said it's probably a combination of price, rust, and location.  One very much like yours sold on GRM about 7 or 8 months ago for much less money. I'm still kicking myself for not buying that one.

Hmm....

RyanGreener
RyanGreener Reader
10/17/19 10:24 a.m.

I dig it, but unfortunately it's manual and my wife doesn't want to drive something like that. It's perfect though because of possible mini-me's on the way soon.

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
10/17/19 8:14 p.m.

No satellite radio. It has an aux input jack, so I use that to stream from my phone. I’m willing to negotiate on price.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/19 8:58 p.m.
RyanGreener said:

I dig it, but unfortunately it's manual and my wife doesn't want to drive something like that. It's perfect though because of possible mini-me's on the way soon.

Through some combo of sorcery, if I could get this and swap the transmission with my 5 (also an 08, with 116k miles, 5-speed auto), would you be interested in it then?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/17/19 9:55 p.m.

Javelin proposes a three way. This could result in a good thread. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/18/19 7:23 a.m.
SlowNB said:

No satellite radio. It has an aux input jack, so I use that to stream from my phone. I’m willing to negotiate on price.

We certainly can at least talk about it, no harm there.  It really is just what I'm looking for, would just need a lot of flexibility in price.  Shoot me a PM. Ironically, I'm up in your neck of the woods this weekend. I'm at New Hampshire Motor Speedway for a lemons race.

JFRCross88
JFRCross88 New Reader
10/24/19 2:02 p.m.

I had one of these that I bought new in 2008 specifically because it had 3 rows of seats, was fun to drive and had a manual. I added summer tires, a Mazdaspeed 3 rear anti-roll bar and KYB shocks/struts on mine.  GLWS

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/24/19 2:10 p.m.

GLWS

My 5 has been horrifically uneventful to own.   It didn't start once when the battery died, in the garage at home.  166k on in now I have been hoarding parts for it to put on some day, plugs, filters, idler pulley, some day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JYvrCxRLBXtRefStvJ7gyCnKuuutH0Ifo12Of14RTq0SoFDa5Za48koaEoN3CyT2