1 2
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/11/13 8:13 a.m.

Yes I know, I keep waffling on this one. It's really time to let it go (and the Yugo, see the other classifieds) and I hope it will find a good home here.

1958 Wartburg 311 I think everyone knows this one by now. If not start here http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewforum.php?id=13 and here http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com

With that said I won't go into the full build details but rather tell you what else comes with it.

A spare 2.2 subaru motor A spare 2.0 turbo subaru motor, needs turbo and valve replacement (snapped timing belt) all wiring and ECU included. A set of high quality (brand name escapes me) coil over shocks which could be adapted to the rear suspension.

Front and rear seats from a Subaru STI (blue and black)

Anything else I have left over from subarus/vw's etc which were parted out while building this car.

A set of CCW Classic 16" wheels and tires. 16x10 and 16x11, these will require some modification to the rear fenders to use but they look sweet :)

I have driven this car over 3000 miles on the street including participation in the Big Apple to Big Easy rally. It is street capable although I dont recommend it as its uncomfortable and I make no garantees about it making it to it's destination should you try to drive it home.

It is fully caged with a FIA legal seat, it would require new harnesses to race.

Currently runs and drives.

$5000 If you intend to Lemons it or use it for GRM the price breakdown is as follows (but only sold as a package) $500 for car $2000 for safety (cage, seat) $2500 for spares

Trades considered, but only running driving street legal vehicles. Of particular interest would be a VW based trike.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/11/13 10:19 a.m.

this should be on bringatrailer

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/11/13 10:30 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: this should be on bringatrailer

It was on there last time it went up for sale, lot's of commentary but not much else.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/11/13 11:03 a.m.

[sigh!] It needs to be kept in the family. I don't have space/cash/time (especially time)

Why won't Tim buy it and keep it in the showroom at GRM world HQ? It certainly deserves it....

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/19/13 8:16 p.m.

Just to sweeten the deal slightly, purchaser of this car will receive one free entry for the 2014 Asphault Adventures Saints 2 Sinners 5 day adventure rally ;)

Willing to discuss sale without the spares at a reduced price.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/13 8:41 a.m.

i gather the car less the spares is still out of current budget, and you are not interested in the least in my rambler.

i really hope it finds a good home

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/20/13 12:19 p.m.

I'm still lobbying for it to be on a plinth in the GRM HQ.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/20/13 6:20 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i gather the car less the spares is still out of current budget, and you are not interested in the least in my rambler. i really hope it finds a good home

"in the least" is a strong statement. My first classic car was a Rambler so I do have a soft spot for them. I'm foggy on your car, I'll go poke around and see if I can find it.

JoeyM wrote: I'm still lobbying for it to be on a plinth in the GRM HQ.

I'd love for them or Jay Lamm to have it, but I fully understand that both have other, better, things to spend their money on.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/20/13 6:25 p.m.

Found the Rambler....reminds me of this which is in my local scrapyard, sadly

Not quite the same but I'll bet some of the parts (turn signal buckets) would work.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/1/13 8:46 p.m.

Last bump, will negotiate reduced price without spares but if no interest then I'm going to start selling off the spares and bits ebay the car or part it. No point in keeping these things around right now, trying to plan a move and too many cars and parts to move them all :)

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/17/13 11:49 a.m.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Wartburg-311-311-1958-Wartburg-311-Custom-hot-rod-racer-/330992846604?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d10b6070c&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1182

Reserve is lower than any price I've ever asked or will ever ask without parting it out so hop in if you want it.

Still entertaining some trades

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/17/13 11:57 a.m.

It pains me to see you selling this car.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/17/13 1:42 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: It pains me to see you selling this car.

Pains me worse to see cars sitting in the garage. I've just lost my interest in racing and I have enough street cars, its really time for someone else to take this and the Yugo to the next level

patgizz
8/17/13 5:49 p.m.

well. i tried. i bid everything that is in my car money box less $300 for gas.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/21/13 5:58 p.m.

Ugh...so I got a call from a previously unknown entity who found the car on the Lemons board. Looks like he's serious about it. Calling back later tonite with an offer now that he has all the info he wanted and can take some time to collect his thoughts.

I've never had a problem selling a car but this is making me a little sick to my stomach right now. Part of me is hoping he lowballs and I can say no, part of me hopes he makes a good offer and I can end the torture.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/21/13 7:14 p.m.

I want to see it preserved....

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/21/13 7:38 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: I want to see it preserved....

Me too. That's why it was just SOLD, not to go back on the track again.

I need to go have a few more beers, can't say I'm overjoyed about selling but it's going to a good place.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/21/13 7:39 p.m.

I feel a little better about that.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/21/13 7:42 p.m.

Oh and for anyone interested the CCW wheels did not go with it so they are up for sale send intriguing offers

patgizz
8/21/13 8:26 p.m.

whats the bolt circle on those things

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/21/13 8:28 p.m.
patgizz wrote: whats the bolt circle on those things

5x130, Porsche pattern. 16x10 fronts 16x11 (maybe 12) rear

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/13 9:37 p.m.

I know exactly how you feel, brother... All I can say it that it will be easier now that you can actually move on instead of being stuck in "what-if" limbo.

Also, I can bring over some incredibly strong bourbon tomorrow if you really need it!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/22/13 6:20 a.m.
tb wrote: I know exactly how you feel, brother... All I can say it that it will be easier now that you can actually move on instead of being stuck in "what-if" limbo. Also, I can bring over some incredibly strong bourbon tomorrow if you really need it!

The mental relief of starting to dig out from project overload is good. And the funds will do some much needed repairs at the house with maybe enough left over for the Shockwaves for the wagon so I can finally get that on air. Still too many projects (and here I am talking about more) causing too much stress so I need to be good with it and I will be good with it.

It's heading to an auto shop class up North. Teacher likes to keep the students interested with unique projects. Folks like that, who took the time and effort to teach me are why I was able to build something like like this in the first place and I've always tried to pass it on and teach others. So the fact that my "baby" can be a part of that is a good thing.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/23/13 2:34 p.m.

Sigh...

Aaaand off she goes. Bittersweet to be certain, but off to a good place. Negotiated first right of refusal so when it's completed in 2 years it may just come home again.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/23/13 2:35 p.m.

Wait.... that's a Ridgeline towing it..... Did the Suddards come get it from you?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oNxuqusK06pqn0j5v5ej6PEtaL7iV6w1cVCE8HY2TQgQ5flWXh7SvroR3pqKjRsh