1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/2/19 5:46 p.m.

I’m high bidder knowing that if this is a real S it’ll go higher but what if everyone got busy and forgot to bid?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223643939380

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/19 6:51 p.m.

Well at least it isn't close to me...

berkeley

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/2/19 7:35 p.m.

Doesn't appear to be a Cooper or Cooper S based on the chassis plate number. That number equates to a Morris Mini, left hand drive. The valve cover says Morris and the bonnet badge says Morris Cooper S.

There are a few Innocenti clues. The dash with 6 gauges, the boot badge, the square shaped license plate frame. Innocentis did not come from the factory with twin fuel tanks I don't think, but that could've been added anywhere along the way.

Looks to be what most Minis in the states end up being...a bitsa car. 

That won't make it any less fun once it is out on the road, but may make it a poor financial decision to try and restore and fix all the rust and dents.

They are fun cars and easy to work on with good parts availability.

If you haven't already, dig around on the Mini Mania website. They have a decent Mini identification guide.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/19 8:25 p.m.

Engine might run a bit better with spark plug wires, not to mention that the front floor looks a tad crusty in the underbody photo. The plastic wheel arch extensions also aren’t from a 67 Cooper.

Having owned a couple of old Minis, that looks like a bunch of work. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/3/19 10:48 p.m.

2d 10h to go. Are you still the high bidder?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/19 6:06 a.m.

I really wish that you could still buy Yokohama A-008s in normal sizes.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/4/19 6:19 a.m.

That's already more than I paid for my Jag.  

Concur- looks like a buncha work.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/4/19 6:24 a.m.

Interesting stage of "Completion?"  I see zero signs of quality work having been done during the build and that makes me concerned for the engine and gearbox and brakes. Missing both gas caps; how do I know this did not sit outside as an abandoned project for a couple of years? 

Two paths:

1-Get it running and drive it around as is cosmetically and interior-wise. 2-3k on top of the purchase price if the drivetrain works.

2- Decide to make a nice car out of this collection of random parts. Tear the thing to the ground and build back-up with fresh suspension, brakes and drivetrain. 15k by the time you are done and two to five years.

I would not buy it .

Pete

What is a nice Mini going for nowdays?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/4/19 7:04 a.m.

My goal was to get it running - not perfect.   

I think 2 other guys have bumped me - $3000 is max for an unseen car.  Interestingly is he provided the registry calling it a Cooper S.

Me thinks the serial plate has moved to another car?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/4/19 7:05 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/4/19 7:17 a.m.

Just browsing Hemmings, prices seem to be all over the map for Minis.  I seem to think low-mid teens is about right, but of course there are rarer ones out there that fetch more.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/4/19 7:54 a.m.

Honestly, if you can get it for that price it looks awesome.  It's far enough non stock that you can build it into something fun and solid and not feel like you're ruining a piece of history.  While it needs work, everything is available.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/19 8:37 a.m.
Woody said:

I really wish that you could still buy Yokohama A-008s in normal sizes.

What do you mean? 10" is totally a normal size ;)

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 Reader
9/4/19 8:58 a.m.

The instruments are definitely Innocenti , my older brother had a  1 Lt Mini Cooper in Italy in 1969 , built by innocenti under license , I don’t recall innocenti offering a cooper S with 1275 motor though and I think they first offered a Cooper version of the mini as a 1 lt car in 1969 , I may be wrong though , of course a lot of earlier 1275 Cooper S made their way to Italy, they were converted to left hand drive and fitted with the much nicer innocenti dash and other bits , I’m going to look at it today , I know the seller well , let me know if you need something specific checked out on the car , be glad to do for anyone interested in buying it . My email is ladypit5556@gmail.com 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/4/19 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I have one of those certificates for my Mini as well claiming it is a 64 Cooper S, but it most definitely is a car from the early 70’s. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/4/19 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

CCC mag in the UK built IIRC a Honda 1.4 K-series swapped mini and touted it as an ultimate 'Q-ship' but for the minilites and A-008s which they swore by.  This was probably the early 90s.  Matter of fact I think they swore by the A-008 for everything back then. smiley

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/4/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

You can't overestimate the impact A008's had on the world for the guy on the street back in that pre internet age.  It was like a full race tire for the street, it was uber uber special.

I really miss the old Cars and Cars Conversions.  All mine got lost in a fire and subsequent soaking by water in the mid 90's.  I had all my dad's copies from the 60's and mine from the mid 80's on.  It's the magazine I wish GRM could be at times.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/4/19 1:45 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I have one of those certificates for my Mini as well claiming it is a 64 Cooper S, but it most definitely is a car from the early 70’s. 

Hey, at least it looks like a Mk II car.  The number of 1960's Mini's I've seen in this country with no external hinges, massive tail lights, padded steering wheeh's, 13" road wheels, 1275 A+ engines etc..  I bet 95% of the cars sold in the States have had their VIN's and identities tacked onto an 80's or 90's vintage car long before they hit the 25 year mark.  

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/19 3:47 p.m.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mini/cooper-s/2312825.html

They were asking almost $10K for it. I see it as maybe a 6K car. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/4/19 3:53 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mini/cooper-s/2312825.html

They were asking almost $10K for it. I see it as maybe a 6K car. 

I bet your right and that's where it will end up, $6K +$500/-$1000 when the auction ends in a couple of days.  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/19 4:08 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to nutherjrfan :

You can't overestimate the impact A008's had on the world for the guy on the street back in that pre internet age.  It was like a full race tire for the street, it was uber uber special.

Full disclosure: I never had the cajones to put a set of A-008s on a street car, but I did own at least two or three sets of A-008Rs for autocrossing. They inspired 30 years of brand loyalty to Yokohama tires.

If A-008s were available in non-Mini Cooper sizes today, I would buy a car to fit them.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/4/19 6:38 p.m.

While I have owned a '64 Mini, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the cars. That said, certificate aside, something about this car just doesn't seem right.  But...  a reasonably solid project car for sale in the US is surprisingly hard to find. This one needs work, but not a ton.  If it sells for under $5K I would consider it a good deal.  Even if it needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. Such is the market for classic Minis right now.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/19 8:32 p.m.

It's interesting that the certificate suggests the car that the VIN belonged to had been delivered to Italy. Not that I would ever think the original car may have been reshelled in Italy with an Innocenti shell. I mean, it's Italy, stuff like that would never happen there .

Either way it looks like a bitsa to me. Innocenti did make a 1300 Cooper, which IIRC is more or less using a 1275 engine anyway. Sticking a Morris-marked valve cover on that wouldn't be a problem. 

You can get one of the late model, JDM import Rover Minis for around $10k via a proper importer. Unless you really want a late 60s/early 70s Mini, those are a much better buy. Heck, Mini never figured out the rust proofing so one from a country that doesn't chuck salt on the roads should give you a head start.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/6/19 7:22 a.m.

Up to $5,300 with 1 1/2 hours to go!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/6/19 9:27 a.m.

...and sold for $5,301.  Could be better, could be worse. Hard to really say without a detailed inspection. So many variables with this one.  A decade ago this would have been insanely overpriced, but today... maybe not. Personally, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a car that doesn't need so much.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HiNBlgv2GdCClIZ3PFDrbczJpkw4oYEeMHOC1ZchUiQXSq3Wp14PZlHQ7uQtJm76