jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
2/5/22 3:22 p.m.

This was my project for the next Challenge, but “Life is what happens when you’re making other plans”.

Job-change and move force me to let this one go.  I purchased it Oct. 2021 and I’m a good ways into the process.  The car was parked for 5 years, so the tank and CIS fuel system were a horror story.  A new tank and 5 psi electric pump were installed and remaining lines purged/flushed.

It comes with a new-in-the-box K402-38 Weber and intake manifold, new Ebay header. This is for the 1.6L that came in the car, but all will move up to a 1.8L if one so chose.  I’m including a new water pump, hoses, all tune-up goodies and fresh oil just went into it before Xmas, after new oil pan and valve cover gaskets.

The heater core/fan/controls have been removed, but will go with the car to sell against your Challenge budget along with some other original miscellany from the teardown.  There are 2 dash clusters, but only one Speedo/Odo not original to the car.  Actual mileage unknown.

All new shift linkage bushings.  Replacement, rust-free doors go on before sale, ignore the crappy ones in the pics.

New Drums, Discs, Pads, Shoes & Hoses, converted wheel mounts to studs instead of those infernal bolts.  New Inner and Outer Tie Rods with boots. New wheel bearings all around.  Suspension has old Bilsteins all around, condition unknown, mostly showing surface rust.  Two pair of unmatched wheels, very old tires that hold air fine for shop work.

There’s more I’m forgetting, but by now you’re either drooling or bored so I’ll stop.  I hope to have more current pictures available here or via email reply.

The car is on a signed open Maryland title, in-hand but not in my name as yet. I’m in Hagerstown, MD, just PM me for more info and pics as desired.  First $1600 takes it away!

Thanks for looking!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/22 6:14 p.m.

I'm not in the market, but DURN!, that's pretty, and a good deal.

Good Luck With Sale!

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
2/9/22 7:45 p.m.

Thanks, I thought so as well and I really need it gone asap.

The roof and hood have been stripped bare and primered since these photos, and some of the side areas as well.

JERice
JERice
2/11/22 5:10 p.m.

Still have it?  I owned it's clone 30:years ago, except mine was pretty much perfect at the time!  Any interior? What kind of parts list would I need to complete? 

thanks,  Jon 

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
2/11/22 6:09 p.m.

Yep, she's sitting here waiting for a new home.  Interior is down to just the seats, good condition, no tears. and all 4 door cards have been Vinyl-painted black.

Basically I planned to mount the new water pump and hoses, hang the new header, intake and carb, then bleed the brakes (forgot to list the new rear brake hoses, not yet mounted) and fire it up.  Coil tested good and the new plugs/wires/cap/rotor are ready to go on as well.

Thanks for asking Jon, love to see it go to someone whose played with them before!

JERice
JERice New Reader
2/11/22 8:47 p.m.

I am too new to forum to pm. Maybe you can pm me your #?  We need to talk. I am interested in a street build/ auto cross car, taking it too a fairly high level. I have owned many cars, mostly BMWs, but I miss the Mk 1 most of all..

Jon

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/22 8:46 a.m.

I hope this works out. As an enabler, I pointed Jon to this Scirocco hoping it would be a good fit for his interests. Jon is a good guy. He and I have passed BMWs back and forth over the years. I expect to help out with the Scirocco if it goes to him.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/12/22 9:59 a.m.

Cool car, with tons of potential.

I'm having an internal argument - whether I would have the time to go 8hrs each way, in case JRice doesn't snag it.

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
2/12/22 7:42 p.m.

BlueInGreen - Jon

JRice has backed out, I'm still trying to find a good home her.  Let me know if you'd like any more info - Jeff

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/22 4:59 p.m.

I really hope this goes to a good home.

Bengelman99
Bengelman99 New Reader
2/15/22 7:52 a.m.

If you weren't so far away I'd probably come and snatch this up

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/22 8:48 a.m.

All for this going to a good home. If I had space I'd be one of the people coming to grab it. 

eurotechms
eurotechms New Reader
2/15/22 4:57 p.m.

In reply to jabos7 

Oh boy just up the road from me in Thurmont. Tempting to bring this back to the shop..

motobill
motobill New Reader
2/15/22 7:00 p.m.

This may be a really bad idea, but I sent you an email...

--Bill

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
2/18/22 7:09 p.m.

Going, going, Gone!

Off to an enthusiast in Ohio tomorrow!

Thanks for everyone's interest, she's off to a great new home!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/22 7:19 p.m.

In reply to jabos7 :

I predict it's going to Chandler

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/18/22 7:33 p.m.

Oh good. Now I can stop having the "I want, but I shouldn't" debate with myself. I'm glad you found a good home for it

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/18/22 10:16 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to jabos7 :

I predict it's going to Chandler

It's not, I even refrained from thinking about it

maisgelb
maisgelb GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/22 8:58 p.m.

The Scirocco has landed in Ohio (in my driveway). I'm more of an enabler than I expected... devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OTc5ZcXpwfIZ20OJS3f9ESygai3OByyB6rXFmgD0NzdScPHX84YzhoFRmJoGs7J6