volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/9/19 2:05 p.m.
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/9/19 3:12 p.m.

Man....

" older than my wife (and certainly with more miles on it)"

I can't buy it, but I will ask:  How is the rust? Northern Rust-Free (which is Southern Rusty) or some other condition? 

volvoclearinghouse
4/10/19 6:12 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

There's rust, but it's not major nor structural.  Bottom of driver's door has some surface rust that's been painted (see the gray patch looking area on the driver's door).  Front lower driver's side fender has some rust through at the lower attachment point.  Floors behind the front two seats have a couple of rust through holes.  

Unibody frame, trunk, hood, etc all the rest are good and solid.  I'd call it "Asheville Rust-Free".  

volvoclearinghouse
4/11/19 6:34 a.m.

Added some pictures to show the rust.  Had one guy interested yesterday, I sent him the pictures, and he said "oh, looks like it needs all new floors!"  indecision

RedGT
RedGT Dork
4/11/19 10:12 a.m.

I mean...when i see daylight through the floor I too think "it looks like it needs new floors".  Might still be worth $1900 but the dude ain't wrong.

volvoclearinghouse
4/11/19 10:51 a.m.

I guess it looks worse in the pictures?  It needs a patch behind the passenger seat.  It does not need the whole floor pan cut out and replaced, which is what the guy said.  

Honestly, it's been like that the whole time I've owned the car, so it doesn't really _need_ anything.  cheeky

Dave M
Dave M Reader
4/12/19 1:42 p.m.

Ooooh man...I do NOT need a sixth car! But the want is strong.... :)

volvoclearinghouse
4/12/19 2:00 p.m.
Dave M said:

Ooooh man...I do NOT need a sixth car! But the want is strong.... :)

I really do not need it either, but it's been a really great car.  Part of me thinks, if I can't find a good home for it, I may swap in some more modern seats and swap all the tires over to the W126 wheels and drive it a bit more often.  

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/19 1:36 p.m.

Just an LS away from greatness...  

volvoclearinghouse
4/16/19 8:13 a.m.
noddaz said:

Just an LS away from greatness...  

It had occurred to me....devil

volvoclearinghouse
5/14/19 8:53 a.m.

Bump.  Had some interest from Craig's list, a few tire kickers who stopped by (I have it parked by the road with a FOR SALE sign in the windshield, just like the old days), but no takers yet.

$1500, for anyone here.  It's a helluva good car, I just don't drive it much anymore.

Craigslist Link

volvoclearinghouse
5/23/19 6:23 a.m.

Last Sunday, a father and son came to look at it.  Son needed a car.  They looked it over, he seemed to dig it.  Tossed him the keys, the 3 of us go for a ride- me riding shotgun, kid driving, father in back.  

Digression: the kid was young enough that, biologically, I could have been his father.  Talk about your "yikes" moment.

He's tossing the car around and seems to like it, until we come to a hill and he's struggling to make it up.  I joked with him that when you drive this car, you develop a keen sense of topography and planning.  The dearth of power seemed to bug him though, so after we'd crested the hills, and with some good twisties coming up, I told him, "downshift into 3rd, floor it, and take it through these turns.  Oh, and hold on to the wheel properly" (he'd had his left hand laid over the top of the wheel while driving with his right, which bothered me more than I thought it would).  He corrected his hand positioning and did as I had told him.  

A few minutes later we were standing in my kitchen, him counting out bills and me signing the title.  I guess I can sell a car.  laugh

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/23/19 9:54 a.m.

Wait until you meet one young enough to be your grandchildsurprisecrying

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en Reader
5/24/19 8:34 a.m.

Man oh man, I can't click links on my school laptop, so idk the location, but I wanted one of these so bad for my first car, I probably would've bought one over my miata. Maybe. That's hard.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/19 9:08 a.m.

I want a wagon version of one of these with giant slower revving torque monster v8. Or maybe a bmw v12..

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/24/19 9:24 a.m.

Congrats on the sale!  And part of me is glad that I somehow missed this post...  It's cool that a young kid bought it and knew how to drive a manual transmission. 

volvoclearinghouse
5/25/19 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

When the dad first texted me about the car, and told me it was for his son, the first thing I asked was, "you know it has a manual transmission, right?  A stick shift."  Having clarified on that point I felt about 3/4 of the way there on the sale.  When they arrived to look it over the dad was driving a clapped out 15 year old Beemer with a different-color hood, so I guessed they were somewhat handy with a wrench.  We chatted about cars for awhile, and they seemed interested in the 24 Hours of LeMons.  So, maybe some new friends.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QdA0WADIFXBJKEtZHci3tAmm7R0q8EhjGs1g3V9w4VPi2qibmp5oLK3KxZZthxbY