wagonracer
wagonracer None
8/4/19 6:55 p.m.

It is time to let go of a fun car. If you are looking at this you probably know how cool these cars are. This one is very fast and reliable with much work done and many new parts. I own a 5 star rated Subaru shop in Taos, N.M. (Taos Suby Garage) and performed all of the work on the car. BaT lurkers may recognize this car from a "failed to bring enough cabbage" auction from June.  Low mileage cars are bringing strong money, but this one has the distinct advantage of having been sorted and ready to jump in and have fun with.  I am not going to give this car away. I have close to $14k invested and will entertain offers around $10K. Thanks for understanding

160 photos and a start-up video, complete with a now famous "loogie-hack" can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/182951801@N05/albums/72157709929588162/page1

Here's the history...It lived in Albuquerque, N.M. all it's life and was parked for nearly 16 years (1999-2015) which is why the paint (clear coat) was shot when I purchased the car, having been burned off by the southwest sun. It was a one owner car (have copy of original title) until the summer of 2015 at which time it was purchased by a DSM mechanic who went through the fuel system and got the car running. Tank, pump and filters were replaced and lines and injectors were professional cleaned. I purchased the car from him 8/25/15 at 103855 miles  and set about doing the mechanical restoration. Below is listed everything that was repaired replaced and performed on the car during the winter of 2015/16. It has since been driven spiritedly but sparingly and shows 110003 miles currently. It is being stored indoors until the sale. All photos were taken 5/27/19  It was not detailed prior to photos, just a wash and vacuum. Could really use a good hand wax as it has been a year since last done. I will change the oil and filter and will top it off with fresh premium gas before vehicle is picked up. Oil and gas are both approaching 6 months old, just before storing the car for the winter.

Chassis and drivetrain:
Stoptech slotted and vented rotors
Axxis metal master brake pads
Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
ATE racing brake fluid
Yokohama S drive tires (new summer of 2016)
inner and outer tie rods both sides (alignment performed)
Power steering pump 
Sway bar endlink bushings, front and rear
Competition Clutch stage 2 kit
Competition Clutch light weight chromoly flywheel
gear box fluid replacement, cocktail of redline and motul products
rear diff lube replaced with MOPAR gear oil (LSD specific)
one stub shaft seal replaced

Engine, turbo and engine management:
1988 ECM
1988 distributor (new cap, rotor, condensor)
NGK one step colder spark plugs and wires
Cylinder head removed
timing chain checked
Head gasket, valve cover gasket
intake manifold gasket 
exhaust manifold gaskets, including turbo set
oil pan gasket
oil filter housing o-ring
oil cooler line crush washers
rear main seal and holder gasket
New OE alternator
Interstate battery
cooling system flush
radiator hoses and cap
turbo cooling hoses
turbo oil feed line
intake boot
oil breather hoses
drive belts

Performance upgrades:
18g turbo with upgraded turbine wheel (stock mitsu housing)
Top-end performance intercooler piping
Top-end performance down pipe and mid pipe
DEI titanium heat wrap
Aero-turbine muffler 2540i (nice tone/not too loud)
K&N air filter
Innovate wide band gauge
3 wire o2 sensor
Tial Q blow-off valve
Hallman pro RX boost cotroller
Running 14 psi safely and reliably. A/F ratio 10.7 at full boost

Exterior/Interior
Full body re-spray 3 stage/driver quality paint
new Nikofab front airdam/valance
front seats and rear bolsters re-upholstered
rear seats swapped for used vinyl seats, previously '80s velour (oh my !)
hatch struts rebuilt by Strut-wise

All of the original parts, piping, turbo etc. will be included with sale. I can provide pictures of those upon request

Fantastically fun car to drive
Completely 100% RUST FREE south west car
always starts on first turn of the key
handles great, great braking
I like to think of it as a Japanese built 944, only more solidly and smartly engineered

everything works except
cruise control and
Air conditioning inop, (belt removed, components still in place)
small dings on one rear rim, repaired and true, but visible
rear struts slightly noisy (handles great though)
seaps a little oil from bottom of intake manifold (after PCV/breather routing)
could use color sanding/buffing to really bring out the paint
slight damage to new airdam from very large and rabid jackrabbit collision (he was fine)

I am selling this little gem because I have too may cars, and it doesn't get driven as much as it deserves. I always wanted one of these and really have enjoyed doing the mechanical restoration and driving the car. Time to move it on to a good home. Please buy it because you love it and will enjoy it as much as I have. If you have further questions feel free to phone or text 5 seven 5 seven 4 one 5 two zero 7

wagonracer
wagonracer New Reader
8/8/19 8:45 a.m.

Well, I guess nobody is looking for "finished" projects in here, or else the jack rabbit collision has scared everyone away....hmmm?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/8/19 1:23 p.m.

Nah.  I think more than a few of us on here are broke from one week to the next. cool

Thanks for sharing however.  Conquests are so cool and yours is pretty nice. smiley

Talking about unfinished projects I may be putting one up here pretty soon for $500 on a strictly no questions asked haul it away basis with clear title of course. indecision

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
8/8/19 8:34 p.m.

Very cool car. Kudos to a proper for sale ad and excellent pics/info. Good luck with the sale, this card is worth every penny and you will regret selling it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/8/19 9:57 p.m.

Awesome car.  Have you considered listing on BAT?

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
8/8/19 10:29 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It's been on BaT.   Bid to $5700...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/8/19 10:44 p.m.

Doh.  I missed that part.

wagonracer
wagonracer New Reader
8/9/19 10:31 p.m.

In reply to GarageGorilla :

Thanks for the compliment. I will miss the Conquest (if I manage to find it a new home) but really have too many vehicles. Just bringing my silly race car up to speed and getting an ancient tow rig reliable is enough. Only regret is not getting to drive the TSi in anger on track. 

wagonracer
wagonracer New Reader
8/16/19 9:06 p.m.

Do folks still say el bumpus?

wagonracer
wagonracer New Reader
9/18/19 12:05 a.m.

One more last ditch bump in a desperate act of shameless self promotion. Don't need the dough, so much as I'd like to see the car enjoyed by somebody that "always wanted one of those" as much as I did. Thanks again for looking

Rodulrich
Rodulrich New Reader
9/18/19 6:53 a.m.

I wish I had the room for this car! Always wanted one. GLWS.

tdrrally
tdrrally HalfDork
9/18/19 8:00 a.m.

the want is high for this one!!!!!!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HtqKJMJmyMdFDwK89B2i5jPeZN1UeLPCxx123WYXjuNWPoMJhbVZs12rBhen2Ru8