eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/9/19 11:53 a.m.

Edit:  SOLD Locally

I am drowning in project cars, and the reason I bought this one has gone away, so I need to take a loss and get rid of it.  It's a 1989 Mazda 626 with an automatic, 114K miles, but not on the original engine.    Located just a bit east of Cincinnati, OH.

Interior is dirty, but in pretty good shape for it's age.

You can see some details about it in this thread:  Eastside's folly

It runs and drives, though I would not want to use it for a long trip, unless you are looking for an adventure. 

The Good:

1. It's a Florida car, so little rust
  2. The oscillating fans still work
  3. New front calipers, pads, rotors, and master cylinder
  4. New battery
  5. New outer tie rod ends
  6. New left rear wheel bearing and wheel cylinder

The Bad(tons of little problems):

1. Low idle when in gear.  Sometimes stalls when first started, but if you give it a little gas when starting it again, it runs).  I suspect the IAC needs to be cleaned or replaced.  Never had it stall once it is going.
  2. Shaky at higher speeds.  The rear tires are not balanced, and it may need an inner tie rod end on one side (can't remember).  55 MPH is probably okay - haven't pushed it over that since balancing the front tires.
  3. Leaky sunroof when it rains hard - its taped up for now.
  4. Driver's side window off track
  5. Stereo not working - may just be a fuse I pulled when trying to figure out a possible voltage drain
  6. Crappy window tint
  7. Drivers side outer door lock rarely works.  Usually have to unlock from the passenger side.
  8. Coolant temp and gas gauge do not appear to work
  9. Other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Ideally, it's probably a good backup around town car, rallycross beater, cheap gastropod entry, or beater rally car.   If it doesn't sell, I'll probably see about rallycrossing it until my Beetle is good to go.  Price is negotiable, especially if you can buy it before the temp tag runs out next Monday.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/9/19 7:06 p.m.

Two 80's Mazda 626's in the classifieds? Strange days here in GRM land. Good luck with the sale. Wish it was a GT Hatchback. Yours will be an easier sell than mine. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/10/19 6:31 a.m.

I certainly hope it's an easy sell.  I really don't want to deal with CL.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
5/23/19 2:59 p.m.

Bump.  Still have this.  Sealed up the sunroof with silicone, and have gotten up to speed on the highway.  Cruises pretty smoothly at 65-70, 45 or so is the main area it is shaky at, I suspect balancing the rear wheels might help.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/24/19 6:46 a.m.

What's your e-mail address?  The PM thing never seems to work for me.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
5/24/19 9:16 a.m.
Klayfish said:

What's your e-mail address?  The PM thing never seems to work for me.

Responded to your email.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
6/14/19 8:28 a.m.

The power steering system appears to have sprung a leak.  Price drop to $350 firm.  Get this thing out of my driveway!

Edit:  And now that I've added power steering fluid to replace whats been dumped on my driveway, it seems to work at lower speeds now.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/14/19 9:46 a.m.

That Lucas Save-the-Baby stuff won't seal the leak?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
6/14/19 9:57 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I may try that next time I get to the parts/discount store.  I just really want to spend as little time on this thing as possible, too many other projects.  May list it for more on the local CL if leak stopper does the trick. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/2/19 1:51 p.m.

Power steering stop leak seems to have worked for now, and the power steering isn’t acting up at low speeds anymore.  Someone please take this off my hands, I keep thinking about keeping it every time I run an errand in it.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/2/19 2:03 p.m.

I got a new corded sawzall and a couple packs of good blades.  Bring it over, I'll break out the whiskey, and we'll have you a 6ute6!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/2/19 2:16 p.m.
wae said:

I got a new corded sawzall and a couple packs of good blades.  Bring it over, I'll break out the whiskey, and we'll have you a 6ute6!

That’d be tempting, but with the Beetle out of the garage, I finally have space and time to make the S10 into a usable pickup!

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/2/19 6:28 p.m.

E-mail sent

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/2/19 9:12 p.m.
Klayfish said:

E-mail sent

Sent you a reply

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/13/19 8:45 a.m.

More pics and details on my CL Ad.  Ignore the price, still $350 through the GRM board.  I am getting worried about the voltage regulator, I kind of wonder if that is what is causing some gauge issues.  It appears another bulb in the dash just burned out, too (the indicator if the transmission is in econ or power mode)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b84Wj8Gl0dzOUazmGTi6ouxesXpG9rJtTuy9BvNRFw5HA4cv79v6ckXvvPbps8C1