1 2
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/20 9:47 p.m.

It's time to face reality and admit that I will never actually get around to restoring this 91 BRG that I've had for ~12 years..  I bought it from South Carolina where the previous owner apparently had abused the poor thing, but it was rust free and ran pretty well, and it shared daily driver duties with my Rx-8 since I bought it.    About a year and a half ago, the starter died, and that was the impetus to finally start restoring it like I had wanted to do for a decade.

Since then, I've only managed to get it partially stripped down..  I'm not really making any forward progress towards getting to the reassembly point.  I think I've gotten to work on it about 2 hours in the past two months, and I estimate that at the current rate I will be dead before I drive it again.

Stats:

1991 British Racing Green Miata

143,770 miles

Current status:  Straight shell, no engine, transmission, differential, subframes, etc.  Front bumper has the bottom center cut out and the hood that comes with it has a small dent.

Interior Condition:  Dash is good, carpets fair, top poor (it's a 12 year old top)

Price:  $100 to a GRMer

Available separately:  1999 Engine in good shape, Megasquirt 3 ECU (unassembled),  sub frames, control arms, etc.  much better condition doors, hood, bumpers, etc.

Here's the only real rust I can find on the body other than some surface stuff on the rear tow hook area:

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/8/20 4:14 p.m.

Wish you were close. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
2/8/20 4:18 p.m.

Installation is the reverse of removal!

WonkoTheSane
2/8/20 4:41 p.m.

Pretty much!  Just hopefully the next owner has time to make it pretty.. or a track car, whatever..

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm happy to package things creatively for challenge purposes!

Need the subframes and control arms as well?  Let's package it for $100 for the car and $100 for the interior or something?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/8/20 6:02 p.m.

Except for that 1990 Blue color I feel BRG is the best color for a Miata.  Just feels right.  

WonkoTheSane
2/8/20 7:11 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Except for that 1990 Blue color I feel BRG is the best color for a Miata.  Just feels right.  

I agree!  I hope that Mazda has this combo available on an ND in a year or three.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/8/20 7:38 p.m.

Almost like your thumbing your nose at all those problematic English cars.  

You know who you are.  Am I getting too political now?  LOL

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/9/20 7:04 a.m.

How much for shell and say subframes, enough to have it rolling? 

Asking for a friend, seriously I can't take on another car myself. 

WonkoTheSane
2/9/20 12:54 p.m.

Hmm..  how about $250?  The only problem is I don't have shocks/springs.. I had Vmaxx on it and I was planning to reuse them.  Do you have some old stock pieces handy?  If not, I can probably Fab something from 2x4 :)

WonkoTheSane
2/9/20 2:05 p.m.

Oh, to be clear, that'd be rolling on 14" Daisy's with the fenders, bumper hood, etc..

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/20 7:01 p.m.

If you get to the point of parting this, please PM me. My Mom has a BRG and it needs a few things.

WonkoTheSane
2/10/20 7:08 p.m.
hobiercr said:

If you get to the point of parting this, please PM me. My Mom has a BRG and it needs a few things.

What's she need?  I have pretty much a whole BRG worth of spares I had planned on restoring this with.

I just haven't had time to post the for sale ads.

WonkoTheSane
2/10/20 7:20 p.m.

Oh yeah, that being said, I'm totally up for being negotiated down on the shell.  Bonus points awarded for promising me you'll restore it or use it for race car goodness. I'm a big sucker for either of those futures for the car!

Just reach out to me and we'll figure something out.

I also have most of a hopped up Miata to all I, and I'd probably be pretty motivated to package it such as:

Flying Miata sways & end links

99 stock engine

Megasquirt 3 with wiring harness (unassembled)

5 sp tranny

hobiercr
2/11/20 10:21 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

I need to really take a hard look, but both front fenders for sure. I'll PM you on the rest.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/11/20 2:41 p.m.

I'm interested in the ms3 if you're willing to ship it - which kit is it specifically?

WonkoTheSane
2/11/20 3:53 p.m.

Hobie - I'll dig out what I have and get pictures.  Probably not tonight, though, I have a class to teach and don't get home until late.

CMC - I'm happy to ship, I believe it was a MS3X v3.0, but I'll look and confirm. I think I still have your email, so I'll probably forward the original sale email when I have a moment.

WonkoTheSane
2/11/20 10:55 p.m.

Hobie - Bad news, I don't have the fenders..  I remember that on the other  BRG I scrapped due to rust, the fenders were in pretty rough shape so I gave them to my friend to use on his lemons car...  I remember now that I was planning on getting new ones when the time came.

CMcGregor- I believe I emailed you the original sales order for the MS3..  Let me know if you didn't get it.

hobiercr
2/12/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

No worries. Thanks for the follow-up.

WonkoTheSane
2/12/20 8:19 p.m.

Additional undercarriage pics:

WonkoTheSane
2/12/20 10:23 p.m.

Also, here's all the subframes & control arms and such.  The group in the front has been cleaned up and is ready for a final cleaning and then top coat.  The ones in the back haven't yet:

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/12/20 11:00 p.m.

So is the MS3 sold?  If not put me in line depending on price

WonkoTheSane
2/13/20 7:25 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

I'm in talks with CMcGregor right now.  I'll let you know whether he buys it or not.

WonkoTheSane
2/15/20 9:00 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Heyo Justjim, I PM'd you a few days ago.. Did you get it?

Feel free to PM me or send me an email at myusername@gmaillcom.

WonkoTheSane
2/24/20 12:26 p.m.

The shell rolled out on Saturday, and the shocks are gone..

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/26/20 7:09 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

The shell rolled out on Saturday, and the shocks are gone..

Curious, did the shell go to someone who lives in CT? Just saw a BRG shell on a trailer at a friend of a friends house nearby. Wondering if it's the same one. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3x2NsvV9gzmzT7XQgDx9lvkbCuHVz9zSUuYjYbxvFJu5jVJxfh6vDZbwgzMzOyUG