Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 10:52 a.m.

Bronco is SOLD!

After a great deal of personal debate, I've decided it's time for me to move on from our Bronco.  As we close in on retirement, I'm finding that we're doing less of what I built this Bronco for, and I need to focus my time and energies on the things we're doing more of.

The basics:

1992 Ford Bronco - Eddie Bauer, 351W (5.8L) V8, E4OD,  4.10s, 170,000 miles.

I built this Bronco it for real world trails, and if you’re looking for a rock solid OBS Bronco that you can drive, wheel and enjoy, you don’t need to look any further.  I've documented some of the projects in my "Miata Experience" thread here on GRM.

This is a life-long Arizona Bronco that I’ve owned since 2013.  It’s not a shiny showroom survivor, and it’s not a tube-framed desert racer or rock crawler.  Every bit of work on it, whether maintenance or modification has been aimed at improving the reliability and performance in the real world, on real trails. Everything was done properly, and no corners were cut.  

In the last year/2000 miles, the entire front end was rebuilt with urethane bushings and 3/4 ton truck steering gear; brakes are entirely new from the booster to the brake pads; new wheel bearings and manual locking hubs.  All 5 wheels and tires are new from 5/2020 and have 1100 miles on them.  Also replaced recently were the fuel pump, radiator and heater core.  The engine and transmission are stock.  The engine runs strong, and the transmission works perfectly. Also in 2020, a manual shift transfer case was rebuilt and installed to allow flat towing.

Since this is an AZ truck, there is no rust.  There’s a little patina on the undercarriage, but NO structural corrosion, and NO sheet metal rust.  The sheet metal itself is straight.  Exterior is currently Rustoleum Khaki… durable, cheap and easy to touch up if necessary.

The suspension has a Tuff Country 4” lift.  Tires are Goodyear Duratrac Wranger 35s (315/75-16) on Black Rock 16x10 steel wheels. It has 4.10 gears, with the original Traction-lok differential in the rear, front is open.

This Bronco has a lot of custom modifications, starting with custom fabricated steel bumpers and rock sliders/steps.  The front bumper is heavy sheet style construction with a center grille guard and was built around a 12000lb Badlands winch.  The rear bumper is steel channel with double swingouts carrying the spare tire, 3 Scepter cans (2 fuel and one water) and a hi-lift jack.  The rear bumper also incorporates rocker protection, and bright LED backup lighting. Both bumpers include heavy duty recovery points that are tied directly into the frame rails. The rock sliders/steps are frame mounted and provide a step into the truck, as well as a good spot to stand while washing the windshield.

The interior is in very good shape, much better than the typical Bronco of this age.  The front seats have been replaced with seats from a 2012 Ram pickup.  The driver’s side seat is power adjustable, and the passenger side uses the original Bronco slide/tilt mounting.  The rear seat has been replaced by a custom platform, padded and carpeted, that I built for our dog.  I also have the original rear seat, which is in excellent condition.

The stereo is a JVC head unit with USB/BT with Pioneer and Kenwood speakers.  Nothing special, but it works fine.  It is also equipped with a CB radio, and VHF/UHF/FRS/GMRS ham radio for trail comms.

In 2020 the electronic transfer case was swapped out for a manual shift BW1356 transfer case that was gone through before installation, using all original OEM parts.  This was done for reliability, and also so we could flat tow the Bronco behind our RV.  Included with the Bronco is a custom fabricated tow bar that integrates with the front bumper recovery points, as well as electric hookups and magnetic LED rear lights for use while towing.

Everything works on this Bronco… from the power windows to the cruise control. With one exception:  the air conditioning.  Last year I replaced the compressor, and in the process found that most of the original components were gummed up with crap, so I removed the entire system with the intent of replacing it this spring.  The entire parts list is under $500 for R134 compatible parts to get it back to 100%, and they’re available just about anywhere.

I have maintenance records, and just about every receipt for everything that has been done to this Bronco in the last 8 years.

New in the last year/2500 miles:

Fuel pump

Wheels/tires

Brake booster, master cylinder, calipers, rotors, pads, shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, front lines, fluid

Front wheel bearings

Warn manual locking hubs

Manual BW 1356 transfer case

Urethane axle pivot bushings

Urethane radius arm bushings

¾ ton tie rods, ends, drag link

Alignment

Radiator

Heater core

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 10:57 a.m.

More pics.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 11:00 a.m.

And more...

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/21 11:08 a.m.

Beautiful

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/11/21 12:45 p.m.

That's really nice. It's not small money but I suspect it's reasonable market value. I'm really going to regret not buying one of these back when they were cheap, aren't I?

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 1:13 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks guys.  I expect it could bring a little more if I were willing to wait for top dollar, but I've tried to price it for a quick sale; before I change my mind.

Under 100k mile, clean, stock examples are bringing shocking money right now ($20k+).  Ratty 200k+ mile examples with half-assed mods are priced locally $8-10k.

There's no question that values on anything old and nice are on the rise big time, and Broncos are definitely going down the same road as so many other enthusiast vehicles from the 70s-90s.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/21 1:14 p.m.

Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

Gorgeous Bronco, man.  Good luck with it.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
1/11/21 2:58 p.m.

That is PERFECT.  Best of luck with the sale, I wish I had the dough.

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/21 3:01 p.m.

Really cool looking build!! Gives me lots of inspiration for my recently acquired'82 Bronco. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
1/11/21 3:53 p.m.

Those seats! That might be the cleanest 90s ford interior I've ever seen...

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 4:23 p.m.

Well, the seats are out of a 2012 Ram 1500... wink

I do still have the original rear tumble/fold seat, which is quite good shape.

Mr_Asa
1/11/21 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Not to hijack the thread, but do you have anything on what it took to get them to fit?  I've got a '93 F150 that I'd like to upgrade the seats on

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/11/21 4:29 p.m.
Mr_Asa
1/11/21 4:30 p.m.

Awesome, thanks!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/12/21 8:57 a.m.

Nice looking Bronco.  Good ones are bringing the bucks these days.  Better to buy one already done than trying to get a hooptie there. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/13/21 6:25 p.m.

Bronco sold to the first looker today.

Thanks everyone for looking, and for the kind comments. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Suqg845Wjh7o8skuRL3BkMQ91chhujMciRrQ7PJWuNhjTcXIcKjTlUbbOrdlZLCi