vdubinsd
vdubinsd Reader
7/13/17 12:18 p.m.

Hate to sell it but only thing that makes sense. Wanted one of these since working at BMW dealer in 1997....

1997 BMW 540i 6 speed. Black on black. Original BBS alloys wheels.

PROS-All original paint-even has factory BMW windshield. Interior very nice of age/miles (no tears or rips-headliner still holding up-shows some wear). Very presentable and unmolested. Way more fun to drive than a heavy 20+ year old sedan has the right to be. Cold a/c (see below) hot heater. All electric works except drivers side seat heater.

CONS-it is a 230K mile BMW. Has P0301 cam sensor fault-it is timing chains or just a sensor? 65 mph steering wobble (sure bushings are worn). When sits overnight have to crank excessively before it build fuel pressure-probably same fuel delivery issues that makes gas gauge stick at 1/4 tank. Front bumper broken from hitting a parking block (neither the wife or daughter did it-they insist) but its broken and has a mass of zip ties sorta kinda holding it up. Wheel lips need refinish. Aux fan does not work-a/c cuts out when sitting at a stoplight. Rear brakes squeak like mad-might have time to fix this because it drives me crazy.

I wish I had the time, money and resources to keep it-but I don't. Know for a fact that I will regret selling-but would regret it more if my neglect kills it. Just unable on all levels to keep it in decent condition. Somewhere there is a BMW enthusiast that wants to go thru it and keep as toy-just not me right now.

Located in Carson City Nevada. Let me know if interested!

photo 20150718_111300_zpsnvfn46fm.jpg

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
7/13/17 12:40 p.m.

Price?

vdubinsd
vdubinsd Reader
7/13/17 1:22 p.m.

open to offers. In my mind it is worth $5k but probably not realistic at all.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/13/17 2:10 p.m.

P0301 is Misfire Cyl 1.

In metro Detroit that's a $2000 car due to miles, bumper, aux fan, front suspension. if you could prove cooling system has been redone. If it was an autotragic it would be closer to $1k.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd Reader
7/14/17 1:18 p.m.

Was off on my P-code.....cant remember exactly what the # was but can clearly recall cam position sensor out of range.

Angrycorvair is very close to a number I would be satisfied selling at.

And if it was automatic would have been someone else's to deal with. Only bought because 6 speed+v8=fun

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/14/17 2:15 p.m.
vdubinsd wrote: And if it was automatic would have been someone else's to deal with. Only bought because 6 speed+v8=fun

I can dig that. I love the power delivery of my 740iL, so I'm sure it would be quite entertaining with 6MT and without 500 lbs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZHZf3ympSbDV1eTfadlizpwS2EOVvkd1361dXMEFdg5vzgPonjJJfBo5SyDcekWF