Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/21 10:59 a.m.

1999 Buick Regal GS

Offered here only for now, but I might put it at the end of the driveway too. 

Yes, it's supercharged. 

Safe, quick, quiet, comfortable, and ready to use. 

Bought new by my father, and used by by mother, an actual little old lady, 2007 - 2019.  Always garaged and properly maintained, but also
driven year round.

107 K miles. Smaller supercharger pulley (a Christmas present to my father in 2002 or so), no other modifications

I had intended to have kid #2 use this for school this year, but he turned it down. Before that, I replaced (or had my local shop replace)

- 2 tires (they all match and are recent)
- all 4 struts
- all hard brake lines
- all hard fuel lines
- steering rack
- power steering pump
- A/C compressor
- fuel filter
- rear lower control arms
- supercharger coupling and supercharger oil
- front speakers (much better!) 

Runs and drives great.  Smooth and quiet. Cold A/C. Stops straight, vibration-free, and quiet. Comfy seats. Rides like a Buick. 

Paint is nice and shiny. It looks a little bit light and flat and washed out in the pictures.  It's prettier in person. Interior is pleasant but shows some wear on the front seats and steering wheel. Original floor mats look like new because they were always under a second set of floor mats. 

Issues:
- left rear window won't go down. If you manually disconnect it from the motor and lower the window, the motor puts it back up just fine
- small dent on right front fender (see pictures)
- there was a small coolant leak, but it seems to have gone away. It will come back when you test drive the car, but it's not happening now. 
- A few small scratches on the rear bumper and elsewhere, many of which will, in fact, buff out
- The shop that did some of the above work says it needs rear pads and rotors, and belts. I think they're a little premature. 
- the original muffler is approaching end of life, but it's still completely Buick quiet
- The inside rear view mirror is a little wavy. 

Please look at all the pictures. 

My father is a retired CPA. He keeps extensive and immaculate financial records (including tax returns back to 1963), but is less interested in
keeping records on cars, other than ownership documents, so I don't have much of a paper trail for maintenance records, but it got what it needed when it needed it, up until 2015 or so, and I've corrected all of that. 

Title is in my name. Inspection in person strongly preferred, and I prefer that the buyer pick up the car and provide payment in person.  The car is located in  Too Juan Juan Tree Sicks.

Additional items included
- the original springs, which should be a little stiffer than the ones on the car
- engine cover, which is not on the car
- the stock supercharger pulley, and the tools/parts to install it
- a car cover suitable for indoor use 
- log book, which is missing a few pages, but there is enough there for you to understand the level of maintenance

$3500

Trades:
Probably not. Two unlikely possibilities, both require cash from me. I'm going to buy a Corolla, Civic, Camry, or Accord for kid #2. It will be
in great shape, have an Automatic, few or no needs, and be under $10K. If you'd like to part with one of those, let's talk.  I could also
consider a truck (for me), but I'm unrealistically picky: 3/4 ton, 4x4, extended cab or crew cab, 6.5' bed, gas engine over 400 CI (or 6.0 LS),
manual transmission, light colored interior, great condition, under 150 K miles. Yeah, no one has that.

6/13/21 11:02 a.m.

6/13/21 11:06 a.m.

imagesbytjm
imagesbytjm GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/13/21 2:56 p.m.

I just fixed up and sold a 2000 Regal (not GS) for my neighbor (just turned 80).  Had the same rear window issue. Removed the door panel and found a chuck of stryofoam insulation that had come unglued from door.  It was blocking the passage of the window. Did front rotors and pads, rear pads, general clean up, oil/filter and fixed few other minor issues.  Car had 160xxx miles. Sold the car on fb in two days. She got $2200 for it. I have to say these aren't awful cars.  I think the GS, lower miles, and better condition makes this a deal at $3500.  

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/13/21 8:47 p.m.

I have wanted a nice condition L67 (if I remember the engine number correctly) for a long time. But they have all been beat too bad, or way out of my price range. That's a good fair price for a good fair condition in theses covid price times. Unfortunately, as prices increase, my financial position goes the other way. I wish I could find one at pre covid pricing. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/13/21 9:22 p.m.

I'd be tempted to tell kid #2 to suck it up and drive it.  There is nothing about that car to be ashamed of.  

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 5:44 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

True!

spitfirebill said:

I'd be tempted to tell kid #2 to suck it up and drive it.  There is nothing about that car to be ashamed of.  

I agree on both counts. Kid #2 doesn't care about cars at all, so I thought he'd drive whatever we had.  And I wouldn't have to  go through the PITA and extra cost of selling it and buying something else, and I'd get to hold onto it a bit longer (I'm not thrilled about selling this).  But I had to be responsive to other opinions and dynamics within the family.  Gotta play the long game and all that, so away it goes. 

If anyone is actually interested, please PM me for a phone number. Trying to avoid the CL/FB crowd. 

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
6/14/21 7:45 p.m.

My Mom's sister had one of these.   Being a bit of a speed freak, she got pulled over several times by cops who I suspect were surprised to see a little old lady racing down the road.  

These are borderline sleepers: quiet, unassuming looks, with a decent amount of power, but not crazy fast.  If I hadn't just bought a new to me car a month ago this would be appealing.

And I second the idea: your kid would be lucky, heck, smart to drive this, but I realize any boy (it is a boy, I'll bet), wants something that doesn't look like a grampa mobile.   A girl would be a bit more practical/pragmatic.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 8:24 p.m.

The other problem with kid2 getting it; would you really trust a HS (I assume) kid with a sleeper like that. I know what I would have done with something like that...

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
6/14/21 8:30 p.m.

That car is neat. I happened to park next to one (same color, GS) today and was explaining to my little boy about the "Grandpa car with a supercharger".

It would be cool to see what the car could put out boost wise before it let go.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 8:33 p.m.

In reply to FatMongo :

There are folks that have done that! Sadly, I have not had the chance to be one of themcrying

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/14/21 8:36 p.m.

I like the Bonnie SSei better. But the GS is the true sleeper of that pack of GM fwd's. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 8:49 a.m.

Still around?

How bad is the coolant leak, and where from? My widow friends honda got totalled last week.....

No coolant leak at the moment. But I know if I fail to mention it, it will reappear on a test drive. When leaking, it left a few drips when parked and you could smell it a little. I haven't found the source, as it never got bad enough to track it down easily. Most common cause is the plastic coolant elbows on the intake manifold. The fix is to replace them with metal ones. <$20, but I'm done working on this one. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
6/21/21 12:13 a.m.

Friend of mine had one years ago. Def a sleeper car.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/21 1:49 p.m.

Widow wants something smaller. Sorry 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Widow wants something smaller. Sorry 

No problem.

My kid said the same thing, but then he said an Accord would be fine. Grrrrr.   It'll sit at the end of the driveway for a few more days, then I will reluctantly start the  CL/FB process. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/21 7:11 p.m.

I was in the Buick showroom in 1999 when an old couple was in there making their decision on what to buy. The lady says to her husband "I like the floor shifter better" 

Just like that, and for no other reason than that, they got a supercharged GS instead of the LS

Makes me smile any time I think of it

And yes, I really enjoyed doing the PDI on these, making sure the blower worked. 

Discovery channel discovery struggle is real GIF - Find on GIFER

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xrRcz9gStmLCQP92SQJq8TXX0cbO2qdukOrnyZztypGd7eZwh8sNyE427aN1QQaq