1 2
gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/3/23 8:06 p.m.

It's a sad day, but I've realized that I'm long overdue for paring down the fleet. It's time to sell the Tahoe.

It's a 2000 Tahoe Limited, one of between 7 and 8 thousand built for that model year only. Think of it like the GMT400 version of a Blazer Extreme, or a Tahoe SS. Factory blacked out, two tone interior, 120 mph speedometer, RWD only, all of the additional fluid coolers from the 9C1 police Tahoe, Z56 suspension package (springs, shocks, and sway bars), no roof rack, 3.42 rear end with a locking differential, some unique wheels, and some other special trim. This one also has the only option - the cold weather package with heated mirrors and heated seats. I searched for quite a while before I found this one, and I've had it for about 6 years and 70ish thousand miles. I did almost all of the modifications to it after I bought it, and then proceeded to daily it and drive it all over the country. The last few years, it has sat quite a bit, since I bought a new truck for the longer road trips. So recently it's mostly been used to commute to work the one day a week I need to go in to the office.

It currently has about 283,000 miles on it. It got a new transmission right around 210,000. Tires have 15k miles on them.

Maintenance stuff I've done beyond the usual fluids and filters:

• New fuel filler
  • Replaced driveshaft
  • new wheel bearings
  • Replaced intake manifold gaskets
  • Passenger axle shaft, both rear axle bearings and seals
  • All steering joints
  • Transmission output shaft seal and extension housing bushing
  • Transmission mount
  • Interior door handles and door lock actuators
  • AC system upgraded to Sanden SD7 modern compressor
  • Replaced mirrors (power and heated)
  • PowerStop Z36 brakes
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Accel aluminum distributor and new plug wires
  • New starter
  • New alternator
  • Added Curt trailer hitch
  • Added wiring for trailer brakes, plus a 4 and 7 pin connector in the rear bumper

Modifications:

• Aluminum radiator
  • Multi point fuel injection conversion (gets rid of the spider system)
  • Impala SS wheels, Chevy Venture center caps
  • Orange turn signals, replacement stock headlights
  • 4-hi mod, and added relays for the low and high beams
  • New steering box (AGR), quick ratio, early (heavy) assist valving
  • Rag joint replaced with universal joint
  • EVO variable assist delete
  • DJM flip kit and C notch
  • 2200 lb leaf springs
  • Shortened swaybar links
  • RideTech Strong Arm tubular front A arms and coilover conversion, 800 lb springs
  • RideTech coilover shocks in the rear with custom relocation arms, no springs on the shock bodies
  • ZQ8 progressive bump stops front, GMT800 progressive stops in the rear
  • Morel Maximo component speakers in the front, Polk coax speakers in the rear doors, and Infinity Reference plate speakers in the rear ceiling
  • Lowered driver's side seat mount 1" (I'm tall)
  • Escalade interior trim
  • 0411 ECM swap
  • 1FactoryRadio rebuilt stock head unit with aux input
  • Inverter built into the center console

I'm sure there's more. The intent was for this to be a keeper, manual swap it, etc. so I tried to do everything "right". But I have other cars that are higher on the "keeper" list...

The bad:

• Catalysts were stolen and straight piped before I bought it. Rear O2s have been tuned out, so there's no CEL.
  • There is an occasional air bag light that comes on, and then goes out after a bump or something. this didn't ever happen until it started to sit more, so I suspect there's an iffy connection somewhere.
  • A few dents
  • Hail damage on the hood
  • Some rust on the rear passenger wheel well - this has been a midwest truck its whole life
  • Some tears in the driver's seat
  • It was in an accident some time before I got it, which is why it doesn't have the right front bumper. The driver side door, fender, and the hood were also replaced. The radiator support was not and still has some bends - I have a straight used OEM radiator support that can be included with the truck. I need to check if the title is rebuilt or not, I don't remember but it might be if that's something that bothers you.
  • Windshield is cracked and pitted pretty badly
  • I started to color match the interior lights to the factory aqua gauge cluster, and I never finished. Now, a few of the LEDs are intermittent in the gauge cluster. I may or may not have this fixed before it sells.
  • The diff is leaking at the pinion a bit and is starting to whine

Also, while I feel it drives great, this is a very lowered truck. It's possible to get the tires to hit the fender liners, and I think I went overboard on the leaf spring stiffness since it rides best when it's loaded down. With the 275-section square tire setup, it does also tramline a bit, but it's fun to drive and really does handle surprisingly well.

Located in Columbus, IN

$6000

So there you go. Too many words, now for some pictures:

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/3/23 8:10 p.m.

Interior shots:

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/3/23 8:14 p.m.

I do also have the Escalade dash bezel and center console as well, which can be included in the sale.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/17/23 6:07 p.m.

Still for sale, had a couple nibbles but no takers yet.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/26/23 9:23 a.m.

Still for sale, price drop to $5500.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/23 10:55 a.m.

Sweet ride! 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/28/23 8:06 p.m.

That looks like a standard throttle body injection for a non vortec truck, exactly what is is and how did you tune it afterwards?  What does it make now?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/29/23 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

It is a standard Vortec 350, I don't think it makes any meaningful amount more than stock. The MPFI injection is actually an AC Delco retrofit kit to replace the spider injection with those hard plastic fuel lines and poppet injectors. It's just a much more precise fuel system and is not as prone to internal leakage. Main differences I noticed were a slight fuel economy improvement and smoother idle, but my stock spider module was also leaking so not a great baseline.

The tuning I did was with EFILive. Because I converted it to the LS1B 0411 ECM, there is a lot of flexibility that I was originally going to leverage for a more built engine and the manual swap.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/30/23 1:05 p.m.

I may be completely wrong on what I thought you did.   I may just leave quietly and read some more.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/5/23 5:48 p.m.

This is the MPFI conversion in question, or at least an overview of it: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1012or-csfi-to-mpfi-vortec-engine-fueling-fix/

Truck is still for sale, fewer hits on Marketplace than I was expecting honestly.

wferns
wferns New Reader
6/15/23 11:32 a.m.

What a nice truck. I'm surprised it has not sold yet. I also have the same truck and saw your comment about lowering the driver's seat. I'm tall and can't fit correctly in the driver's seat. How did you drop the brackets, if you don't mind me asking?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/15/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to wferns :

I think the miles probably scares people, and I've had bad luck with too much detail in the ad making it harder to sell rather than easier. It is strange. I think on Marketplace I may try posting it with basically no info and see if I get a different outcome.

On the seat, if you look at what the seat bolts to, it's on a couple of steel risers. I just cut an inch out of them and welded them back together. You can't do it on the passenger side because the floor pan has a bump for transfer case clearance for the 4x4 trucks.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
6/15/23 2:31 p.m.

That's a great truck and a great upgrade/modification list.  I am planning/hoping to do a lot of the same stuff to my 99 Suburban.   I just got a crash course in door handles and actuators this last weekend, but at least my back doors open now.   

I think the problem is finding the right buyer.  It is probably easier selling a basket case to the typical bottom feeder than it is selling something well-sorted like this one.   Most people just can't see past the asking price, even if they would end up spending more getting a basket case up to snuff.    

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/16/23 10:13 a.m.

In reply to SEADave :

Yeah, you are absolutely right - I have been that guy for most of my automotive life. Buy cheap and spend a ton on the build vs. starting with a nicer example. Modified vehicles are always a niche and this is no exception; I'm sure I'll sit on it for a bit but I am open to offers. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/5/23 8:55 a.m.

Still for sale, and open to offers. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/18/23 9:31 p.m.

Weeklyish bump....

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/19/23 4:22 p.m.

Did you ever find out about the title?   I'm thinking more about this truck these days

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/2/23 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Hey, for some reason I missed this. Title is rebuilt. I do still have it, and open to offers. Been driving it to work a couple times a week just to keep the battery charged and whatnot. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/5/23 3:53 p.m.

I'm kind of out until I sell something or unless someone wants to trade for an f150, Saab 97x, KLR650 or 2001 BMW 330ci factory 5 speed manual.  Unless you know anyone after anything like that (or all of it, lol) my hands are tied.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/5/23 10:50 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I've already got trucks, bikes, and SUVs covered, but the E46 is intriguing...

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/6/23 2:07 a.m.

Needs a radiator and expansion tank before it can be driven and a front lower control arm bushing has at least one bearing shot to e36 M3.  It has the 3 liter and 5 speed with light wheels and new all seasons.  AC even works.  It's a project but it has a trunk full of almost new Koni Yellows and Eibach Springs for all the way around in the trunk

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/6/23 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

That's Hot!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/6/23 9:55 a.m.

100% rust free factory black, manual "big" motor e46 coupe with normal BMW issues.  I can probably deliver it too

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/6/23 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Thanks, I'll try to get a few more pics

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/6/23 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Hmm, as you might guess from my screen name, I'm a BMW guy so color me extremely interested. I've never had a ton a of luck with the direct message system here but I'll give it a try in a minute.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kMpl7lpULOKPZIvRSC0JfkQuruih3QhwgXfwZLryRSjnO7XrPPvayDLoBJkdx65n