1 2
tmtf11
tmtf11 New Reader
6/2/21 11:04 p.m.

It is time I get rid of my crap in my parents' yard. I bought this car with a bad IMA and drove it this way for a year or so. After I moved (three years ago) it sat at my parents house and hasn't been started since.

Good:
It doesn't have any body damage to speak of
it was a cheap light car that got 45ish mpg when i drove it
pretty sure the A/C worked
FREE to GRM

Bad:
has not been started in 3 years. With a new battery it might start, it might not. I have no idea.
miles: around 200k miles on it--I dont remember exactly
missing lugnuts. After a wheel change that broke studs on my girlfriends DD insight, we stole a bunch of lugnuts. I bought replacements but I have no clue where they are now(could be in the car for all I know)
rust: Most of the car is aluminum, but this was a midwestern car for all of its life so the parts that can rust have. This was never a huge deal but it did have an impact on the few projects I did do on the car.
IMA has been bad as long as I have had the car
exhaust leaked very bad
I checked compression (I guess while doing spark plugs?) at some point and I dont remember the numbers but do remember that all were high enough that I wouldn't be concerned, except that 2 cylinders were 20ish psi lower than the third.
Im sure the suspension is all shot but dont remember any specific complaints.
interior looks like a 20 yearold honda econobox

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/3/21 2:02 a.m.

If we could figure out how to get that to lower alabama, I'd love to play with it some. Having had a CRX SI new in 85, I kinda liked the odd little things when they came out. I beleive my wife might think your asking price is a bit to high surprise but I could bring her around. cheeky

I've seen Toyota adds bragging about the prius being the first hybrid, and still the best MPG, but I don't remember it that way, back at the turn of the latest century.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/21 6:00 a.m.

I thought lower Alabama was Pensacola and East wink

I agree that this thing would be fun to play with. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/3/21 6:12 a.m.

12-1/2 hours from me means I'm out. Damn, that's WAY up there in the UP. Sad because I have a full K-swap sitting in a corner. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/21 7:27 a.m.

I saw the Michigan plate and thought it could be close to me.  As I looked at the pictures, I noticed a lot of pine.  That clued me that this could be farther north.  Turns out, it is "all the north".  Generally located at Sault Ste Marie.  

For any one interested, if summer time, be sure to visit the nearby Tahquamenon Falls

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/3/21 5:35 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I thought lower Alabama was Pensacola and East wink

I agree that this thing would be fun to play with. 

Technically correct... I just like telling people I now live in "L. A." ! I'm about 50 miles N. of the L. A. / AL line (as the crow flies.)

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/21 5:58 p.m.

Love that color. So it needs a battery and the engine may be worn out as well? The in-laws live in Farmington Hills. How close is that to you?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
6/3/21 6:18 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Probably upwards of 5 hours

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/3/21 6:22 p.m.

Someone needs to K-swap this lightweight beast.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/3/21 6:25 p.m.

It's soooo far north.......How far north is it? ..........It's so far north you can see the Sault St. Marie, Ontario airport from the beach.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
6/3/21 7:26 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

It is far enough north, You could drive several hours south to Canada.  

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
6/3/21 9:23 p.m.

Looks like a manual? Kinda interested! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/21 9:03 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a full K-swap sitting in a corner. 

are you considering selling?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/4/21 9:06 a.m.

BTW, can't say I'm not interested in the insight, too. Full up on projects right now. trying to resist.

tmtf11
tmtf11 New Reader
6/4/21 10:21 a.m.

It is indeed a manual. Youd think id mention that. The reason i had been keeping this was to k swap it but in the interim i bought my dream crapbox project car (an e30 that my dad owned when i was growing up) and the engine gave on the dd insight at 260k miles, so if one gets an engine swap itll be the one with more sentimental value.  Like I said it very well might run with a 12v but i cant justify the effort. As far as where Brimley is, yes, it's basically canada. This is why location is listed in the bad. I believe it is about 5 hours from Farmington Hills... And anything else for that matter. I was originally going to offer to deliver anywhere in the midwest for beer money but since the tow vehicle died that is not an option. Ha.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/4/21 10:30 a.m.

For my own wellbeing I'm just gonna Grandpa Simpson my way out.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
6/4/21 10:52 a.m.

In reply to tmtf11 :

Thanks! How about the wheel spat things (over the rear wheels).  Still figuring...

tmtf11
tmtf11 New Reader
6/4/21 2:00 p.m.

Those are in the car. As are the pins which are kind of hard to get ahold of.

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru New Reader
6/9/21 10:56 p.m.

This is very tempting, I would probably try to pick it up this weekend if it wasn't for the fact that my truck refuses to allow me to put fuel in the fuel tank. A 10-hour round trip takes a lot more than 10 hours when you can only put 0.2 gallons in before the pump shuts off. If I get that figured out before someone else picks it up, I'd be interested.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/10/21 7:40 a.m.
nocones said:

For my own wellbeing I'm just gonna Grandpa Simpson my way out.

Same. If it was half as close to me I'd probably consider it, but ~12 hour drive each way is a bit much. 

tmtf11
tmtf11 New Reader
6/11/21 9:40 a.m.

If the location continues to be an issue I might be able to get it to the Grand Rapids area but since that would be a pain id prefer to have a specific buyer in mind and be reimbursed for gas (and potentially trailer or dolly rental). This doesn't help those on the east. I dont think any of my friends in the detroit area are in a position to store it for a couple days or help out but I can ask around and find out if that would help a potential buyer. 

tmtf11
tmtf11 New Reader
6/11/21 9:42 a.m.

And if you want it and a manual bmw x5 with 0 compression on cylinder 3 I can deliver the combo essentially anywhere east of thr Mississippi but id probably want 1000-1500 for thr pair delivered. More if it is a giant pita

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/11/21 9:57 a.m.
tmtf11 said:

And if you want it and a manual bmw x5 with 0 compression on cylinder 3 I can deliver the combo essentially anywhere east of thr Mississippi but id probably want 1000-1500 for thr pair delivered. More if it is a giant pita

staaaap!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
6/11/21 1:57 p.m.

We don't need another X5, we don't need another X5..

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/21 12:53 a.m.
tmtf11 said:

I've spend the whole day trying to figure out how to mesh together a X5 and a Insight for all the Challenge glory.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5uCMYijywf2cq6LMtDZG4e5zXS8jCWYP4uW7iXi0ogGuXlQQIefu889TB6MIABhd