masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/1/16 4:32 p.m.

Edit - SOLD! Thanks GRM!

Hey GRM!

You may know me as one of the two idiots who drove all of Route 66 in a newly-purchased, sight-unseen beater '77 Ford Maverick - https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/a-77-maverick-does-route-66/104816/page1/

I swear, the video of that will come out one of these days. But right now I'm here to sell my old DD. I'd much rather see it go to an enthusiast, so willing to make more of a deal with a forum member!

See ad below: or at http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5429278422.html

Up for sale is my E39! It is a wagon with rear-wheel drive, a manual transmission, self-leveling suspension and the M-Sport package, which is a very rare combination of options. If you want the ultimate driver's wagon, this is the best one you could buy from the factory in 2002! Cost around $80k new. I also have a ton of extras for sale separately but can go with the car for the right price.

The engine is strong, it handles properly, and the interior is luxurious. Pick it up for cheap, fix a couple things, and you’ve got a great base for a custom build or an impressive ride as is.

I'm selling because I no longer need a wagon for work - I'm going back to a roadster! :)

Asking $3000 o.b.o., open to any and all offers! (shhh don't tell Craigslist, I've got it listed for slightly more over there)

Photos from when I purchased the car 3 years ago: http://luckysnafu.smugmug.com/Cars/e39/BMW-2002-e39-525iT/27222067_3dfVSB#!i=2287006197&k=2cKdr2s

Photos from my time with the car: http://imgur.com/a/iSSGm Happy to snap more pics upon request.

Contact me by email at rarehberg@gmail.com or by phone at (four8four) nine0four-nine127.

2002 BMW 525i Touring (E39)

• M-Sport Package
  • 2.5-liter M52B25 Inline-6
  • 5-speed Manual
  • Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Self-Leveling Suspension
  • Cold Weather Package (heated seats)
  • Titansilber paint, black leather interior
  • 182,5xx miles and counting

Modifications:

• Mille Miglia Cello 16x8 w/Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Tires
  • Mille Miglia Cello full-size spare
  • E34 M5 Clutch
  • UUC Motorwerks Performance Lightweight Flywheel

Recent Major Maintenance:

• Entire suspension rebuilt 4 years ago
  • Clutch & flywheel 2 years ago
  • New front bumper & passenger front fender (not due to accident) 2 years ago
  • Brakes 1 year ago
  • Entire cooling system rebuilt 6 months ago

Issues:

• Car was hit while parked and dented. You can see the damage to the passenger side front fender in the picture of the engine bay. This is very recent (annoyingly) so I haven’t gotten the chance to try to pop it out yet. It hasn’t affected drivability.
  • Passenger rear air spring has a leak - it will deflate if left to sit, but reinflates when you start the car and the car drives fine. I’d replace it if I was keeping the car, it’s a $300 part and easy install.
  • Service Engine Soon light comes on every once in a while - code P2096 - signifies a slight exhaust leak at the catalytic converter. Either goes away by itself or you can clear it with an OBDII scanner. Not worth fixing to me, but maybe to you if you want things to be perfect!
  • Engine burns a little bit of oil due to worn valve guide seals - not worth fixing no matter how much of a perfectionist you are - just top off oil once a month or when car tells you to (if you are the trusting sort).
  • Had to wait for cooling system rebuild parts, so the (recently rebuilt) brakes got rusty. They work fine but are a little uneven.
  • One small spot of bubbling at the corner of the driver’s door. Pics in album above. Underside is rust free!

Separate:

• BMW OEM Roof Rack - $150
  • Kayak Roof attachments - never used - $40
  • DICE Audiovox Mediabridge USB/iPod/Bluetooth Audio integration system - $150
  • 2x Mille Miglia MM11 18x8 w/ 235/40R-18 Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 Tires - less than 1 season on them - $250
  • 2x Mille Miglia MM11 18x8 w/ 235/40R-18 Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 Tires - ruined by a pothole but theoretically wheels are repairable - $50
  • Performance All Season Tires - old - $free.99
  • OBDII Scanner - $20

(Edited to fix embedded images)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/1/16 9:02 p.m.

If that had 25% fewer issues and was 25% more expensive, I'd be all over it. I think your price is fair and good, but I'm looking for 25% better car. GLWS! It's beautiful with those MMs on it.

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf Reader
2/1/16 9:31 p.m.

Sweet Jesus. I want this car. And it's close. And I have no money.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/1/16 10:30 p.m.

Firmly in the category of 'if it weren't 1500 miles away'
GLWS!

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/2/16 1:39 a.m.
Duke wrote: If that had 25% fewer issues and was 25% more expensive, I'd be all over it. I think your price is fair and good, but I'm looking for 25% better car. GLWS! It's beautiful with those MMs on it.

Believe you me, that's how I'd like to be selling it. But I just can't hang on to it any longer/put any time in on it right now.

And 10% of these issues (the hit-when-parked damage) happened literally a week or so ago, as I was prepping the ad...

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
2/2/16 8:14 a.m.

Are you in Mass or Chicago,Il?

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/2/16 12:29 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Are you in Mass or Chicago,Il?

Sorry for the confusion - I'm in Chicago, I bought it a few years ago in Boston - that's why the old photo album is in Massachusetts.

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/2/16 12:30 p.m.

Here's an image of the option packages, as decoded from the VIN. Originally had Type 81 wheels if you wanted to return it to stock.

DanielCut
DanielCut Reader
2/2/16 1:45 p.m.

I'm happy with my e30, I don't need a wagon.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
2/3/16 12:00 a.m.

FYI - This is one of about 150 525iT manual cars imported in 2002. I looked for my 2001 for 2 years, and paid about $10k. Granted, it was in exceptional shape and mileage, but these are astonishingly good cars. Mine also has sport/SLS suspension and I find the handling perfect for a daily car for someone who may have also have cars that are nutty enough so it's nice to just drive a nice, regular car but with great feedback and vehicle dynamics sometimes.

Mine is my forever car. Check back in a few years - it'll be a supercharged 530iT by then...

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/3/16 1:47 p.m.
DanielCut wrote: I'm happy with my e30, I don't need a wagon. I'm happy with my e30, I don't need a wagon. I'm happy with my e30, I don't need a wagon.

You need an e30 wagon. You need an e30 wagon. You need an e30 wagon.

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/3/16 1:56 p.m.
motomoron wrote: FYI - This is one of about 150 525iT manual cars imported in 2002. I looked for my 2001 for 2 years, and paid about $10k. Granted, it was in exceptional shape and mileage, but these are astonishingly good cars. Mine also has sport/SLS suspension and I find the handling perfect for a daily car for someone who may have also have cars that are nutty enough so it's nice to just drive a nice, regular car but with great feedback and vehicle dynamics sometimes. Mine is my forever car. Check back in a few years - it'll be a supercharged 530iT by then...

That was the dream when I first bought it! My employment situation at the time made that a much more reasonable goal. Now I make art.

I think having a Miata as a first car has ruined me for life. I'm pretty sure I'll never go another full year without owning an NA. Never let anybody convince you that you need a practical car! Unless you have created a tiny human that has half of their DNA...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/4/16 8:32 a.m.

I seriously need to stop looking at that top picture and focus on the ones with the rusty door, bent fender, and stock wheels. Kinda like a cold shower.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/4/16 9:49 a.m.

Sweet mother of God...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/4/16 10:54 a.m.

So tempting!!!

I need a manual wagon...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/4/16 4:03 p.m.

This got even more tempting when I realized that you live about 6 miles from me.

Then I checked my bank account, and realized we just bought a car on Saturday. Whew, that was close!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/16 5:34 p.m.
Duke wrote: I *seriously* need to stop looking at that top picture and focus on the ones with the rusty door, bent fender, and stock wheels. Kinda like a cold shower.

Silver e39s are dime a dozen ... but a fender, door and bolt them on. Done. Just trying to help

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/16 5:42 p.m.

Door

Fender

Done

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/4/16 6:35 p.m.

berkeley.gif

Thank god you are so far away.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/4/16 6:56 p.m.

I'e been ignoring this since I assumed you and Nonack BOTH lived on the East coast...you're in Chicago. Great googly moogly!

Email inbound.

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/5/16 3:47 p.m.

Car is sold! Thanks for all the support & appreciation, GRM!

masterchef604
masterchef604 New Reader
2/5/16 3:51 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I'e been ignoring this since I assumed you and Nonack BOTH lived on the East coast...you're in Chicago. Great googly moogly! Email inbound.

Oh noooooo I was busy selling it to a local guy as that you were writing that email :( I would much rather have sold it to a Nonack associate.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AdCmbkis3CwmN1daxNOz5anTT6DW2nZBjBQcNThO0zGlrWDNgXkKxgU9sRCdm1k9