1 2
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/28/21 9:39 p.m.

I bought as a potential challenge/gambler car. Im 2k into it and would like 2k for it. Recently got something id like to devote my time to more. It does need a headgasket, but is complete and does run and drive, albeit not far as it will overheat. Oil is starting to become milky. 

169k miles. northern car so has some rust. Clean title. 1 owner car if im not mistaken. New radiator and condensor. Old ones were crushed when the car nose dived over the jumpnat the firm. This is what lead to overheating and needing the headgasket. Ac worked prior to condensor being busted. Refill the system and it will work. 

Its a former rally car, that being said exterior is about what you would expect. Interior is actually pretty clean, just dusty. 

Mods include a new set of snow tires (rally friendly) turbo back exhaust, cobb v3 accessport, and a short throw shifter. 

Im located in oviedo florida behind UCF and the car would need to be picked up. Its a headgasket away from a pretty fun challenge car. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/21 9:12 p.m.

Tempt me more and I will use it as a drivetrain donor for this.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/29/21 10:36 p.m.

I really want to keep it as i have yet to own and enjoy a bugeye wrx. But i have about a dozen cars at the moment lol

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 12:56 a.m.

Nope ... nope ... nothing to see here.  I forgot where you live.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
7/31/21 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You know you want itttttt.

8/1/21 5:27 p.m.

Any relay help getting this to Atlanta or closer to DFW?  I know I will be going to Atlanta soon due to a family death, sadly.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/2/21 2:09 p.m.

Ironically after a bottle of blue devil, it doesnt smoke anymore....

I might wind up draining and flushing the oil to see if its patched enough to drive. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/21 6:12 p.m.

Blue devil for the win

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/2/21 8:59 p.m.

I mean it drove prior. But milky oil due to coolant intrusion and overheating. 

Have yet to see if it overheats but dont want to run it long with that much coolant in the oil. Ive wiped bearings clean before not being careful. So would like to change the oil first to see. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/2/21 9:00 p.m.

Full discolsure. I bet as it sits, it would make it through the challenge. Just would have to monitor coolant temps. 

8/2/21 9:37 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

But you are going to drive it to Dallas for me instead right?  Just imagine seeing all my cool rallycross updates knowing your old driveline is getting it done!  (With short block reseal just to be safe)

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/3/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

If i could, i would. but i put this thing on my lift yesterday and it has a good amount of rust... I would definitely reinforce some areas. Its obviously still strong enough to rally considering it hasn't fallen apart yet, but still a little crazy. rocker rust is irrelevant to any structural integrity, but the rear subframe has considerable rust as well as the frame near its forward mounting locations. i see new hardware someone has put in so im curious if there has already been a plate welded in behind it. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/21 9:15 a.m.

Interested in a 94 Honda shadowhawk 250 along with all the parts to convert to front disk brakes in trade? I  can use this for a parts donor for my bugeye wagon, and at the same time strip it down to race weight for the challenge/gambler .

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/3/21 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Ideally, i would just like to sell it. unfortunately i dont need anymore bikes than i already have (4) lol

Mr. Lee
8/3/21 9:47 a.m.

LOL I get it. Building the fun fund back up again currently. Bought the 'hawk in march, a duke 690 in may, ended up missing most of the month of June from work due to tech issues with the company provided computer. two weeks of troubleshooting, plus mailing it back to the office, and waiting on it to return.) things are getting back to normal. If I can get the bike sold on facebook or CL, I'll be checking back with you. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/3/21 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Oh nice. i had a duke 690 for a while. absolutely loved that bike. not sure what year you have. I had a 17' and have ridden older ones too. Absolute blast. I have heavily considered getting the 890...

Mr. Lee
8/3/21 10:38 a.m.

Mine's a 14. Considering what I want for my next one. 890/990 adv is on the list. So far I've only taken it about 3 hours out one way, but damn I love this thing. laugh  And I didn't go looking for a single, didn't want it. Just something about it... Talks to me. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/3/21 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

absolute great bikes. my wife had the 390 when i had the 690 and that was equally, if not more fun. 

8/3/21 8:45 p.m.

Well I'm shopping WRXes and thinking of selling my RS or maybe even going all in and getting an STI.  I'd like to see if I can take a stock AWD car from the top 5 each event to top 3 or better.  I think more power would help.  Also the WRX and STI have better brakes and differentials.  Both of these options also have way better seats, steering racks and steering wheels.  I'm only interested in 2000-02 cars for WRXes and STIs from 05-07 if I'm making the leap. 

The other choice is go modified and swap drivetrains which allows me to do lightening.  This is the budget choice. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/3/21 9:17 p.m.

You have a 2.5rs? Is it a 2 door? That's one of my favorite cars. 

8/4/21 4:33 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

You have a 2.5rs? Is it a 2 door? That's one of my favorite cars. 

It's a 2002 bugeye, not what you are envisioning.  These were all 4 door.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/4/21 9:03 p.m.

Oh ok. I thought it was a GC8. Which i Loveeee. There is a guy here who rallys one that is amazing to see. Rhd and all.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
8/11/21 9:25 a.m.

duplicate post revoved (my response wasn't showing up)

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
8/11/21 10:00 a.m.

I remember seeing the jump picture after the FIRM event.  I immediately thought "i wonder if he broke something."  I really, really can't take on a project at the moment.  For the benefit of others, is head gasket replacement engine-out for these cars?  It seems that way (and also replace the clutch and timing belt while it's out). 

Do you have any more details about the rust?  Buying a northern car in FL is a little backwards...even if it is challenge priced.  SWMBO has done it twice and I swore I'd never do that to myself. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/11/21 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I have pics of the rust underneath i can text. It would be beneficial to replace The rear subframe. 

I have heard you can do the headgasket in the car, but its not even worth it imo. Better off just yanking it out and doing outnof the car as it will be a lot easier. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HLRoikfHD7PX2preiRuo5RIKzcS9f7MGHhtm0JngDe9WLuQLCudRKiF32kRYcLOX