1 2
chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
12/14/18 1:36 p.m.

It is time to put my 2004 CTS-V up for sale.  I hope someone here can purchase it and keep it on the road.  I am asking $3800 OBO.   I have had a blast with this car and will miss it.  Details below.  The car is located in Baton Rouge, LA

Main Information

The car is a 2004 CTS-V with 290,000 miles on it.  Both myself and the previous owner were road warriors for work.  The majority of these miles are interstate miles.  The LS6 doesn't miss a beat and probably has a ton of life left in it.   My plan was to sell the car when I hit 300,000 miles.  However the transmission had other ideas.   I just lost 5th and 6th gear.   5th and 6th gear on a T56 are one assembly and they are pressed onto a shaft.   It sounds like the gear is worn out and now just spins on the shaft.   The first 4 gears work fine.  The car is drivable in the first 4 gears.  I have parked the car in my barn as not to create any new issues.  Normally I would just pull the transmission and fix it, however I was going to sell it anyways in 10,000 miles, so hopefully someone else can fix and enjoy this car or pull the LS6 and put it in something else.  One last time I want to remind the readers this car has 290,000 miles on it.  I have driven this car all over the southeast and trust it, however I don't want anyone to think they are buying a perfect garage queen for low dollars.  

Extra Details 

Paint - The car was painted by the previous owner.  It is a 10 footer.  In other words it looks great from 10 feet away.   Once close you can see some orange peel in certain areas.  There is a minor wreck on the carfax report.  It happened way back in 2004 when it was new.  Not an issue.  No dents, rust, etc.  

Interior - Overall it is in good condition.  However I have to emphasize this car has 290,000 miles on it.  The driver's and passenger's seats are showing wear.  Some buttons are loosing paint on the infotainment and there is a worn section of material on the B-Pillar.  

Clutch - I replaced the clutch, master and slave cylinders at 230,000 miles with a Z06 single mass clutch.  All is fine.

Rear End - I have never experienced any rear end issues.  I recently replaced the rear end bushing to get rid of the clunk.   

Brakes - The front rotors might need to be turned or replaced.  They are picking up a vibration on braking from higher speeds.  Around town no issues.  They are drilled Brembo rotors.

Engine - As stated above it runs like a top.  This car has never left me stranded.  The starter, alternator and water pump are new.  Outside of that it is mostly as the factory made it.  Like a lot of LS's it is starting to leak oil around the oil pan gasket.  It is weird.  I can see oil on the pan, however it rarely drips on my garage floor.   

Wheels - These are the original wheels.  The paint is flaking off on some of them.  Not a surprise with this mileage.  They could use a freshening up.  

Let me know what other questions you all have.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/18 2:36 p.m.

damn!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/14/18 6:08 p.m.

Wow.. seems like a great deal, even with high miles..

pintodave
pintodave
12/14/18 10:34 p.m.

Dropped you a message, but I never post on here. I just lurk. If it didn't come through let me know...

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
12/14/18 10:35 p.m.

Smoking deal. If I had the cash I’d be on a plane ASAP 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/14/18 11:49 p.m.

goodness.  Just talking with a kid today about how I'd love to make it back down there for the first time since '05 for a couple of games.  He's currently enrolled at Howard after leaving LSUs program.  I'm still at least a year away from this kind of project.  Good luck with the sale. smiley

chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
12/15/18 10:51 p.m.

Some new pictures.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/18 4:28 p.m.

How is this not gone yet?!?!?!?!?! I've been avoiding this forum just so I don't have to see this. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/18 8:12 p.m.

Is there a way I can block myself from being able to see this thread? crying

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/19/18 8:16 p.m.

I would do very, very bad things with this car. GLWTS!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/19/18 8:20 p.m.

any idea on cost to fix gear 5 and 6?

chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
12/20/18 10:50 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

That is a tough question to answer.  It depends on how much work you do yourself.  I would assume anyone on this forum would do most of the work themselves.  You could pull the transmission and either rebuild it yourself or drop it off at many of the T56 rebuilders around the country for not that much.  That was originally my plan, however I decided to pick up a new daily driver.   I also looked into picking up a used T56 and swapping them out.   That was more expensive then I thought.  Rebuilding is the best way to go from a budget perspective.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/20/18 11:27 a.m.

UGH, Can't afford, but the want is SOOOOO Strong. GLWS! 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/18 5:34 p.m.

Hummm. I am going to get shipping quotes and see if this is even remotely worth it. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/22/18 7:44 p.m.

Hang on; I’m seeing if it’s too late to return all the kids’ Christmas presents.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/18 10:10 p.m.

You can do it, Waterboy!

poopshovel again
12/23/18 12:35 p.m.

Totally not joking: Refresh my memory - Where are the revs at 70mph in 4th?

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/24/18 9:40 a.m.

5th and 6th on a T56 lie within the extension housing which means there's a chance that the transmission won't have to be torn down all the way to fix the shifting issue.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/18 10:04 a.m.

I'm really glad this is black. It kind of kills my interest in it beyond an engine donor.

chuckathon
chuckathon New Reader
12/24/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

4th gear ratio is 1.00:1, rear gear is 3.73 and the tire height is about 27".   That should put you about 3300 RPM, give or take.  

poopshovel again
12/24/18 12:06 p.m.
chuckathon said:

4th gear ratio is 1.00:1, rear gear is 3.73 and the tire height is about 27".   That should put you about 3300 RPM, give or take.  

Thanks man! I sent you an email through the site, but not sure how well that works. My brother and I are considering a fly and drive...where we would undoubtedly stop in NOLA on the way back and try to win at least $3800 at the blackjack table lol.

Text me at seb-mo-six six-six-nahn tree-fie-six-six? Or email mikeAThongnorrDOTcom?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/18 12:28 p.m.

I can't read that email or number, good job lol surprise

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/18 12:53 p.m.

I may have been in the South too long, I read that area code just fine.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 12:35 a.m.

It made no sense reading it to myself.  As soon as I said it out loud, I immediately got it.  My concern is over Thongnorr.  I don’t want to see poopshovel again in a thong again.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/25/18 5:43 a.m.

Again?? surprise

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5X9r4tdWkoqMQtcUb0Wj4u1Q65gwUnw68w2VtaQozL7ZcAajdw56nHhUyZ1i6f7T