1 2
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:04 a.m.

Selling my 2004 Mazda 6 wagon manual with 183k miles. I've decided to move on - this has been my daily driver for over 4 years and has been a good car but I want something newer. The car has its flaws but overall is good at doing car things and looks good.

The good: v6 manual wagon with zero rust. Originally a Tennessee car, it's been in Ohio since 2015. Still no rust. Well maintained. Good winter tires on a set of steel wheels and bad worn out tires on factory 16" alloys. Super practical car with tons of room inside, both for people and stuff. Includes cargo cover; those almost always walk away. Includes two keys and two keyless fobs.

The bad:
-Motor leaks and/or burns oil, not a ton but if I had to wild guess at this point it's about 1-2 quarts each oil change, which is 5,000 miles for me.
-Motor is noisy: it has been since I bought it, and might just be how these run, but to my ear it's more coarse than I would expect
-Driver's power window is slow. Might just need lubed but might need a new motor.
-Driver's seat has a little wear to it, still looks decent though
-The starter "misses" sometimes, failing to engage. Only happens every few months. It began when I replaced the old, failed starter and just never happened enough to motivate me to swap it again. Trying again on the starter will get it going.
-Digital display in center stack has messed up LCD elements in the clock. Extremely common on this generation of 6.
-Check engine light comes on occasionally for "catalyst efficiency below threshold." It's off now, but will come on again eventually. Then turn itself off again later.
-Paint has scratches and scuffs, some would likely buff out but I'm not a big detailer.

Recent-ish service:
-All front control arms replaced last year

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, I'll flesh this out later. I'll miss the car a ton, but it's time to pull off the bandaid. If I was going to keep it long term, I'd probably swap the motor for a lower mileage one. It's a Duratec 3.0 v6 with Mazda heads, and I think these are not exactly known as 300k mile motors. Still, it's a punchy and fun to drive wagon.

Asking $2000, flexible for GRM peeps, open to trades but prefer cash. Located in Columbus, OH.

I was going to link to an Imgur album full of pics but Imgur appears to have broken albums. Instead I'll post all the pics here in a follow up.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:06 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:06 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:07 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:07 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:08 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 10:08 a.m.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
4/29/19 11:26 a.m.

You're killing me Smalls.  You may have met my kids at one of the NJMP races we ran together years ago.  Well, the oldest is now 15 and about to get his permit.  I've been, and still am, "kicking the tires" for something for him.  If I had my pick of cars, it'd be a stick shift wagon.  He wants to learn to drive stick (he wants to run LeMons eventually) and I want a wagon.  Do I show this to my wife??  Do I trust you given that I've seen some decisions you've made at the track....  wink

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 11:29 a.m.

i had the 2003 sedan version of that car, but with black interior.   loved it.   would have loved the wagon more.   i'm watching this one.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 12:07 p.m.
Klayfish said:

You're killing me Smalls.  You may have met my kids at one of the NJMP races we ran together years ago.  Well, the oldest is now 15 and about to get his permit.  I've been, and still am, "kicking the tires" for something for him.  If I had my pick of cars, it'd be a stick shift wagon.  He wants to learn to drive stick (he wants to run LeMons eventually) and I want a wagon.  Do I show this to my wife??  Do I trust you given that I've seen some decisions you've made at the track....  wink

Buying this is definitely a better idea than Omar letting me drive the golf cart at 3am.

I think this clutch is original. I haven't touched it, at least. So plan to replace it after the kiddo gets good at clutching. Better than burning up a new one, I guess!

Extra special good deal for you, but I don't know if this is the perfect 1st car. That's still quite a few years in the future for me.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 12:10 p.m.

I forgot to mention: This has a trailer hitch and wiring for a trailer. It's a class 2 I believe, and works great with my little Harbor Freight utility trailer. I'll have to add a hitch to something else once this is gone, as I love having that ability. Wiring stows nicely in the rear left storage compartment. Installed by U-Haul by previous owner.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/19 1:48 p.m.

I really like these.

I have always had one on my list if I had to replace my 04 Ralliart wagon. V6 and manual!

Probably won't ever happen, at almost 10 years of ownership the Lancer's been near bulletproof. 

Good luck with the sale. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/19 1:53 p.m.

I want this SOOO bad. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/29/19 1:55 p.m.

Side note: I didn't even wash the car before taking these pics. I cleaned the interior because that was skanky, since it's been a backup kid hauler for 4 years, but otherwise this is as it sits photos. The interior could use some detailing - a carpet cleaner would do wonders to the floor mats. It could use a new radio antenna - the base has lost its rubber overwrap so the rusty spring is showing. I might put some heat shrink around it to dress it up.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
4/29/19 5:23 p.m.

I'll try to shoot you an email, or you can send me one.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/19 8:32 p.m.

These wagons are kinda rare these days. I've seen maybe 3 on the road since about 2005. After I sold everything and moved to Florida, I looked for a while to find one around here. There were exactly zero east of the Mississippi.

To me, this is the perfect "do everything" kinda car. Its a wagon, it has a manual, its a V6 and its a Mazda.

Someone needs to snap this one up.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/6/19 11:23 a.m.

Bump! Some nibbles but no bites yet. Given my frustrations working on the Taurus, once that's fixed I'll probably sell it and then who knows where that leaves this one! Nah, I'll probably sell both and get something else.

meareweird
meareweird New Reader
5/7/19 8:17 a.m.

Man I wish I could buy this! GLWS

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
5/9/19 10:57 p.m.

I'm sorry.  I cant.  I want to, but I cant.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/17/19 10:12 p.m.

Hmm let's make this $1750.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/17/19 10:15 p.m.

If it wasn't a northern car, id be on it like white on rice. But, i have a rule. If i cant pull the suspension apart with a 3/8 ratchet, i wont buy it. 

Which REALLY limits my car buying pool.

But i grew up in the rust belt. Never again. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/18/19 9:32 p.m.

It's not rusty at all. I haven't had any trouble with stuck fasteners. But it has been driven in 3 or 4 Ohio winters, so it might qualify as northern as much as a 2016 would..

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/22/19 3:18 p.m.

Do you have any interest in stepping up to a 2014 Volt with 42k miles? I am interested either way. I am switching jobs and my commute is getting MUCH smaller but so is my pay check. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/22/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Tell me about Volt...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/22/19 3:48 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

It is a 2014 Base model with 42k miles. It has the charger that can take 120v or 240v. Charges in 4 hours on 240v. It is the light blue color. Absolutely great car but I can't justify a loan with a smaller pay check. 

Give me a call if you want to chat. 

573 eight 1 nine 2337

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nRaqU3LzKQp9rYEQliMiKaKrv2pNAdfbxq2Fw5NtRRqBC9RiMdOYD4YadyjXmTRH