1 2 3
Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/21 10:02 p.m.

It's a project. I picked it up with no seats and a non start situation. After tracing every electrical gremlin I could possibly find I finally pulled the timing cover.  Keyway had sheared. It's apart, I've got the parts to fix it, just haven't dug into it.

I've got some minty NB (pulled from a sub 50k mile car another member was converting to V8 power for a "race car") seats sitting in dads shop, a crapton of spares I could send along with it. (I think I have 3 miata's hanging out at dads place, I really need to get moved.  I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Mainly get it running and cleaned up.  Then the thoughts of boost, swapping etc move in and I run and hide from myself.

What can I say, I got really really really caught up in miata's. Then realized I was putting way too much time into them and ran away screaming

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/10/21 11:02 p.m.

No such thing as too much Miata

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/11/21 7:18 a.m.

Anybody need a good pickup?

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
9/16/21 7:08 a.m.

Sold, took a deposit from Jim, and in true GRM fashion, while he was there he helped me get a broken head stud out of an engine block.  I love this forum and the camaraderie it fosters.  I had tried welding a nut on, but it was so close to flush, I wasn't having any luck.  Jim showed me a new trick, and helped me get it out.  Woo-hoo! 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/21 8:31 a.m.

In reply to HoserRacing :

Well what was the trick?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Wow $3000 for this was a deal. 

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
9/16/21 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Since the bolt was so close to flush with the block, the weld was not sticking to the top of the bolt.  The fill on the nut looked beautiful, but it had filled in the nut too high.  He took a shop tool, wet it, and wrapped it around the bolt so that slag wouldn't get on the block surface, and built up the top of the bolt so that it was sticking up higher.  That got it hot enough that we were able to just take a pair of vise grips, latch on to the built up portion, and unscrew the broken bolt.  I would never have thought of that approach, so now I'm free to reassemble that motor instead of pushing it to the side for later, which no one ever knows when will get here.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to HoserRacing :

Cool deal. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/16/21 12:33 p.m.

For the outrageously good deal I'm getting, removing a bolt seemed insignificant, but glad to help.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/22/21 6:47 p.m.

My son turned 16 today and took his test in it and passed!

He said to tell Mr Hoser thank you 

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
9/23/21 6:29 a.m.

Woo-hoo!  Glad to see it go to a good home!  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 12:52 p.m.

burnout or it didn't happen!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/25/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

It's all wheel drive with open diffs and traction control. 

Mr. Lee
9/25/21 8:38 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

don't hold down the stability control button for 10 seconds... devil

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/26/21 8:48 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/21 10:02 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I had to >> through the banter, but once we got to the 125s it turned out to be pretty entertaining.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/26/21 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

I'll go out in a few and not do that today.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/26/21 11:30 a.m.

Bodhi is definitely happy with the rear cargo area leg room.  The black thing is a 4Knines thing that is waterproof and keeps blonde dog hair in check.  HIGHLY recommended as it attaches to the headrests and can be unzipped for folding seats and such.  Also makes a neat barrier between the mid row captains chairs.   This for sale thread seems to have turned into something else.

Positively huge back here.  The black thing would also protect from dirty car parts and race day tires but I mostly have it for trips to the lake since Bodhi is half English Setter and half Lab

Mr. Lee
9/27/21 8:11 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Mr. Lee :

I'll go out in a few and not do that today.  

they usually drift pretty well with stabilitrak turned off. :D of course that was tested in a field.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
10/28/21 7:11 p.m.

I'm liking it more all the time.  The front ride height has been corrected and the alignment fixed, new to me 33" tires, and I put in a new converter thingy (the one in there looked wired right to me so who knows) so the aftermarket stereo and the Bose factory stuff understand each other and it sounds amazing

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pbips6zbAiKhdm91hO2dI7dicLmKbbuSWL1tfdcNbB2COfbvQOhd4a9nTb15lGNJ