dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/14/19 8:40 p.m.

Our '05 Odyssey transmission finally bit the dust last week. It's a known weak spot, and despite never towing with it and doing a 3X drain/fill every 30k, it finally gave up the ghost. The rest of the vehicle is in good shape, especially considering the age. It has about 164k on it, has the dark grey exterior (no rust) and the cloth light grey interior.

I've been maintaining this vehicle religiously since '08 when we bought it with around 36k on it. I just did the timing belt, water pump, radiator, t-stat, etc. over the winter. Front Brembo rotors and Akebono pads were done in January, and I have a set of stock alloy wheels with new tires available separately with <100 miles on them (may even be less than 50!).

The interior and exterior are in very good shape (minus the rear bumper cover) and everything works. This also has a set of Airlift rear bags that have been fantastic at leveling out the van, even when loaded.

The transmission died while on the highway (it was slipping at highway speeds), so this would need to be towed away.

If anyone has any interest in the van as a whole or for individual parts, let me know. Location is in Newtown, CT - zip code 06470.

Price is $750 OBO for everything (roof rack crossbars and carrier  are staying).

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/14/19 8:57 p.m.

That’s sad based on your efforts the prevent it.   A coworker had one lunch it’s trans on the way to Myrtle Beach for vacation.  Nothing says desperation like van shopping with your family in blazing heat with a van packed to the hilt with luggage. 

Did I miss the price?  I assume it has typical NE rustbelt rust?  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/19 5:54 a.m.

I’m glad ours decided to fail in the first few miles of our trip, otherwise we would have been at a rental desk with all our kids and luggage! Luckily we were able to return home and grab another vehicle.

I added a price ($750 OBO), and the exterior has no rust, despite spending its entire life in New England.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/19 9:24 a.m.

Mine (in much worse shape) sold for $1400 in minutes on CL last fall. Now, the trans was working, but mine had nearly 230k miles.

Does it need a new trans? Or could it be something a bit easier like a solenoid or control pack? (Note, I know little about auto transmissions)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/15/19 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I suspect most mechanics see Honda Odyssey and say, yup needs a new trans.  

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/15/19 8:42 p.m.

Sent a PM with some questions. Please let me know if you didn't get it. 

And speaking of vans giving out -- the other day on the way out of town for vacation my wife calls back from the driver's seat that the check engine light is on. I ask her which one, "the one that looks like we're overheating" PULL OVER RIGHT NOW!

the temp was at redline. We'd lost the lower rad hose. Providentially we were just feet away from an exit with an auto parts store. I limped it there and half an hour later we were on the road again. Coulda been WAY worse, and she was a saint with keeping the two toddlers happy while I did it

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
8/16/19 1:40 p.m.

I also sent a PM with a few questions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pAiDAyVqJaE3Wz9VtQaJpo55sq6FWQyP5Qk3WRFaomxNVTyB6cfVSyWWlmxz6SRx