1 2
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) New Reader
2/27/21 9:54 p.m.

Update: taking it off the market, it will be going to my BIL as a nice upgrade from his 02 WRX wagon (which also came from me). Doing my best to enable family members.

2005 Saab 92x Aero, aka the "Saabaru". I purchased it last year as a rallycross car, it's served me well but I miss going (more) sideways. Looking to trade (up, down, or straight across) for something RWD w/ a manual. 

Asking $3600, or better yet, trade for something interesting. Located in Charlottesville, VA

Photos:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNB_ajMtG9tuZcbURKoElTpSWFjP52bf_tS1-fydn1nPBm6IVWmoSQUE2Y7cJFbVQ?key=dnh2dXNwWkc3TWZDOXAySEVlUEVWUXEzN0FiejBn

2.0 Turbo flat-4, 5-speed manual, awd, pw/pl, cruise, AC, 122k miles, just inspected.

New front CV joints, timing belt done at 100k per PO (no paperwork, but I did inspect the belt and it looks new), new plugs. It's stock except for an intake snorkel delete and front/rear seats from a WRX wagon. I have the original 92x seats in good condition that will come with it as well. On stock Enkei 16s w/ all seasons that have seen better days, comes w/ an extra set of WRX wheels w/ blizzacks that are a little chewed from rallycross.

The bad
Small rust bubble in the DS rear fender, the DS rear shock tower has some rust as well, PS is solid. I hit the shock tower w/ a wire weel to clean it up, primed & painted to stop the growth. This is typical of subaru wagons of this generation, unfortunately. 

When I purchased the car it had a misfire, this turned out to be a slightly loose crank pulley, throwing of the crank position sensor. It chewed up the woodruff key and opened up the ends of the keyway in the crank. I replaced the key & retorqued the pulley and it fixed the misfire. The pulley wobbles slightly (not loose, but off perpendicular), there's a video in the link above. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on how it runs and isn't causing any belt problems. I have a spare crank pulley bolt, a re-seat may fix it.

The suspension is acceptable. Brakes OK. The belts/hoses are in good condition, new battery last year. Overall it runs solid. There is an oil leak on the PS side (likely valve covers) that drips on the header. After it's been sitting it will smoke from the header until the oil burns off. Clutch doesn't slip. No evidence of previous mods. I took pictures just after a wash, that's water on the driver's seat, not stains. 

Overall a solid car that could be fixed up for a daily or kept as a guilt free fun/rallycross car (as I have used it). I have another turbo AWD vehicle, time for something different.

2/28/21 4:02 p.m.

I put a few miles on it today, I'll take back my comment on needing a tuneup. It seems to be running strong now, no hesitation/surging (previously had some). I think it just needed to be driven a bit with some fresh gas. In case it isn't clear on the crank pulley, it's on tight, but isn't perfectly perpendicular to the crank. It's possible the crank itself got wallered out a bit from the loose pulley, it's also possible I didn't seat it correctly on the install.

I'm not sure where the market is on these. WRXs are all over the place. 92x's seem to draw less, inexplicably, i guess that's been the story since they were new. 

LapDog
LapDog None
3/2/21 9:23 a.m.

I have a 2006 Mazda Miata that I should probably swap for something at least a bit more family friendly. It has about 130,000 miles and is all stock. 6-spd manual, limited slip differential, Bose sound. It's in generally good mechanical condition but with rough cosmetics. Clearcoat is failing, the rear fenders are showing some rust and the driver side seat bolster is ripped. Dented driver's side fender. Air conditioning works well and the top doesn't leak although it is old and needs to be replaced.  Would you be interested? If so, I'll try to figure out how to PM you.  Thanks. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/2/21 9:29 a.m.

These are neat cars and look better than the WRXs, IMO.  Those look like WRX seats, any idea if they're any more comfortable than the Saab buckets?  The cloth Saab seats were a little small.  These came with a rear LSD, right?  Or, was that an option?  I had the 2.5i (NA) version, which was ~30% less than comparable Impreza wagons at the time (2009ish).  I'm kind of glad you aren't closer to Florida!

3/2/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to LapDog :

I'd be interested in an NC. I do plan to rallycross whatever I replace this with, so that would require sourcing a hard top. Any idea how easy those are to come by for NC's? You should have PM

3/2/21 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

The PO was a biger guy and claimed the WRX seats were a better fit. As far as I know they are the same size, i'll measure them this week and see. As I understand they came w/ viscous LSDs in the center and rear, open in the front, same as the WRX. 

LapDog
LapDog New Reader
3/2/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) :

NC tops seem to run about $1400. A quick search found a few for sale online but I havevn't actually shopped them much. They aren't super common because I think the casual driver who wanted a hard top got the power retractable hard top. 

I don't seem to have gotten your PM yet and I'm too new to send one. 

3/2/21 11:26 a.m.

In reply to LapDog :

I think it goes to the email you have associated w/ your account. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/21 11:43 a.m.

Dang, if I hadn't just bought the BRZ I would've been all over this.

LapDog
LapDog New Reader
3/2/21 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) :

I still haven't received the PM.  Would it be too much to ask for you to send it one more time? 

Continued searching turns up a new aftermarket lightweight hardtop kit from treasurecoastmiata.com. The bare unpainted hardtop without glass is $885 and it's another $275 for the lexan screen, window seals, mounting hardware, etc.  

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/21 9:15 p.m.

I could weep. My free Linear with a head gasket leak will have cost me $900 less than you're asking for this when it's all said and done. 
Enjoyable car to drive, I gotta say. Would be better with the power this one has. GLWTS

EDIT: the majority of that was the result of the crap control arms that GM didn't really fix. Do yourself and the next owner a favor and -- oh wait, Aeros have aluminum arms, don't they? 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 9:44 a.m.

Do you have any closeups of the rusty areas?

And do you have any idea if the subframe has any rust?

Thanks.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/4/21 11:26 a.m.

Saab 9-2X Aero got some additional parts over the WRX:

• STI aluminum control arms
  • STI steering rack
  • More sound deadening
  • "quieter" engine mounts

The steering feel is so good in these. I loved my '06 2.5L, I just couldn't stand the terrible boxer engine (laggy, bad MPG, power is not that impressive) and chassis failures (wheel bearings start going fast on these after 150k, rears are very fun due to the subaru lateral bolt).

" Saab stiffened the steering-gear mounting for better feedback and response, and on the Aero, pitched the WRX's standard rack in favor of the rally-bred STi's, which lowers the ratio from 16.5:1 to 15.0:1"

"The Subaru's strut suspension was reworked with firmer springs, softer dampers, 10mm-shorter rear bump stops, and stiffer front control-arm bushings. In addition, 1.8mm of toe-in was dialed into the front wheels for better on-center feel and straight-line stability."

"Saab wanted—and needed—to enhance the WRX's subpar NVH levels. Thus, it installed not only the upgraded carpet but also sealing for the rear quarter-trim and liftgate; a revised rear engine mount; acoustical treatment on the roof and rear floor; and new or improved insulation for the toe board, fenders, and shift boot. We told you it wasn't a rebadge."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15133083/2005-saab-9-2x-aero-road-test/

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/21 7:17 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Yeah I know nothing about steering but even on my worn out version it just seems great. And one thing I cannot explain is the sensation that it has excellent visibility. My wife was going to tease me about it when she drove it once but came back surprised to genuinely say the same thing

3/4/21 7:57 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Do you have any closeups of the rusty areas?

And do you have any idea if the subframe has any rust?

Thanks.

The front subframe is starting to show some rust, I'll get photos of the undercarriage this weekend. The PS shock tower and fender have no visible rust. On the DS side (shown), I hit it with a wire wheel and some primer to stunt the growth until I could fix it. It's far from terminal, but as you would expect its more than just the surface. I can't find any photos unfortunately

3/4/21 8:06 p.m.

Can confirm on the visibility, low dash/hood and tallish greenhouse. Steering is quick an accurate. I honestly don't think about it much, which I consider a compliment, as slow steering drives me mad. 

mikeonabikesmith
mikeonabikesmith New Reader
3/5/21 8:50 a.m.

Any interest in a cosmetically not-brilliant but well-sorted Miata located in Colorado? I wouldn't mind something more awd, but I don't really want to drive to VA. You run into the hardtop issue here too, maybe worse, but who knows maybe you're big into road trips to and from CO

3/5/21 10:58 a.m.
mikeonabikesmith said:

Any interest in a cosmetically not-brilliant but well-sorted Miata located in Colorado? I wouldn't mind something more awd, but I don't really want to drive to VA. You run into the hardtop issue here too, maybe worse, but who knows maybe you're big into road trips to and from CO

I do love CO (lived there before moving to VA) and cosmetically not-brilliant but well-sorted could be used as my personal mantra. Right there with you on the drive. Probably not in the cards, getting married next month and I'll be focusing my time off on that (and a little vacation afterwords, of course). 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/5/21 11:12 a.m.
mikeonabikesmith said:

I might be interested in this! I've been hunting for a green NB to go with my rusty NA.

mikeonabikesmith
mikeonabikesmith New Reader
3/5/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Shoot me a message? I like the miata, but IF I get something more suited to ski parking lots, and IF I work from home forever, it opens the door to swapping the practical SUV for #vanlife 

3/6/21 7:20 p.m.

I updated the original post w/ a link to some more pictures, including the front subframe (showing some rust), the undercarraige, & the shock tower. 

I swapped the stock crank pulley back on today and it seems to have helped somewhat on the wobble. I put on a new bolt, torqued to spec, It's not coming loose. There's a video in the link. 

Price dropped to $3,600. I really am just interested in having a rwd vehicle again. My daily is a Golf R so I've scratched the AWD itch, time for something different.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/8/21 7:49 a.m.
mikeonabikesmith said:

In reply to engiekev :

Shoot me a message? I like the miata, but IF I get something more suited to ski parking lots, and IF I work from home forever, it opens the door to swapping the practical SUV for #vanlife 

Sent you an email, thats the only way to send "PMs" on GRM.

CrAzY good price on the Aero!  Would make a fantastic winter beter and/or rallycross car.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
3/8/21 10:00 a.m.
LapDog said:

I have a 2006 Mazda Miata that I should probably swap for something at least a bit more family friendly. It has about 130,000 miles and is all stock. 6-spd manual, limited slip differential, Bose sound. It's in generally good mechanical condition but with rough cosmetics. Clearcoat is failing, the rear fenders are showing some rust and the driver side seat bolster is ripped. Dented driver's side fender. Air conditioning works well and the top doesn't leak although it is old and needs to be replaced.  Would you be interested? If so, I'll try to figure out how to PM you.  Thanks. 

Can you send me some info on the miata?

3/8/21 12:30 p.m.
engiekev said:

CrAzY good price on the Aero!  Would make a fantastic winter beter and/or rallycross car.

Indeed, you get a ton of car for your money with these. 

On the rallycross note, registration opens for the 1st event of the season tomorrow. I'm planning to attend, so this is moving to trades only for the next few weeks so I'm not without a ride for that event. 

LapDog
LapDog New Reader
3/8/21 12:51 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

It seems that I can't. Whenever I try to contact a poster, I get an error message that says, "You must be approved by an Admin (or wait for several days after you join the site) to send private messages." If I could send a message, I'd contact the OP about his Saabaru. I still haven't gotten the message the OP sent. 

I'm not particularly interested in selling the Miata because it is the regularly driven second car in my household. I just figured I liked the OP's car, he wants something similar to what I have, and I could use something more practical for occasional kid-hauling. Plus, he's a doable drive from where I live near DC. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l6Bf0FBDJ9SanWjosWuzEUk7WulF5a9HzGCQq7BNVJZ6YmOXugxHj89IRtoaYw9R