1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/19/20 7:18 p.m.

Locally 4dr elantra and fortes low mileage are dropping below the $8k mark now. So the wife's Koup goes up for sale. Listed on marketplace at $4, grm price $4k (while I car, its apparent she does not). Great car. Brakes and battery replaced last year. New tires this summer. 

downside it is a salvage title. Bumper cover is trash and held in with a pair of screws and an angle bracket. Scratches in the roof. We have put over 50k miles on it. Currently at 90k. 2.0GDI 6spd auto. Great car. I'd drive this thing anywhere. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/19/20 8:32 p.m.

It might be helpful to link in this GRM chatter where I think the bumper cover could be updated for as low as $100.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/20/20 3:14 a.m.

so... just because this is probably the only good place to offer this idle thought...

but, how much of a ~2011 Optima SX would have to be stuffed inside of one of these to make it work?  all the computers, and all the harnesses?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/20 4:09 a.m.

Because if all the computer-y stuff it would be a major pita. This chassis never had a theta engine (optima). The trans are different.  It would not be a task I'd ever want to take on personally because you'd have fabrication plus wiring and trying to get the interior to work with the drivetrain. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/20 1:12 p.m.

Any help getting this thing moving. Wife is stuck on this $4k crap. She refuses to move on it. I wish she could understand you don't make money on cars.

10/24/20 9:33 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Any help... 

Funny, because yesterday I looked up your FB ad when you only had two pictures I started to write you an email with suggestions. The most important to be, get the word Salvage out of your ad.

I'll fowrad you off the email draft that I didn't have time to finish.  

Sent to tds.net   Is that still a good email or was that work related? 

10/24/20 9:42 p.m.

New pics look better but ditch that one with the bottle in the center console. Show me an odometer too. Highlight the radio, your customer is teen-ish and they like radios and aux ports.  Bluetooth? How about a picture under hood? 

Harsh honesty... The price is not the hold back, it was the ad.  I think $4k is a good price for so new and under 100k. 

Your other hold back will be 2 door. That eleminates any shopper with kids. 16-25 is your market.

Appeal to the parent buying for a kid. Talk about things like how many airbags and ABS. Does it have a back up camera.  Parents like this stuff, especially when the current $4k market has them shopping cars 10 years older than yours. 

10/24/20 10:10 p.m.

Your latest FB ad has a F'ed up title??? 

Screenshot from my tablet. 

10/24/20 10:31 p.m.

On FB I did some sorting of

30 miles from your house

2012- 2014

$3000 to $4500

Under 99,000 miles

Yours is the only real one that comes up. FB seems to include some others that it thinks might qualify or the dealers have douped the mileage section. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/20 7:53 p.m.

Yeah that was wild. Newest version:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/383966169415819/

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/26/20 1:08 p.m.

can I pay in installments, and take delivery next August?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/20 2:53 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

can I pay in installments, and take delivery next August?

YOU'RE about the only person I would do that for.... as long as I get to drive it through the winter.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
10/26/20 3:43 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

get the word Salvage out of your ad.

I understand how the word Salvage might turn people off, but I don't agree with this.

If you do, I hope you tell them before they show up to look at the car.

I've had it happen to me twice and I was pissed.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/20 3:58 p.m.

Just found out it's a rebuilt title. 

10/26/20 5:13 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Yeah that was wild. Newest version:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/383966169415819/

The ad looks good and as commented above does not try to hide the previous damage but rather also provides explanation of the damage. 

I predict this car will sell to the first person who looks at it and that will happen by this weekend (or certainly by the next weekend.) 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/20 6:54 p.m.

You were off by a couple days John. Sold tonight. Thank you for the help. I know the next one I sell I just pay you to write the ad!

10/26/20 7:02 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

So cool. Glad to help!  As I said, I've sold more than one rebuilt salvage car. 

Was your buyer under 25 or parent looking for teen car? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/20 7:09 p.m.

So quick math. We had the car for 21 months. 48,800 miles on it, 2300 miles per month. It cost us $3400 (purchase price minus selling price) in that time. That's 7 cents a mile, $162 per month. 2 sets of tires and a set of brakes, spark plugs and oil changes. Total maintenance $930. 48800 miles at 33 mpg average is another $3400 in gas. So all in the car cost us $.16/mile to own and operate. That's a win in my book. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/20 7:10 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

So cool. Glad to help!  As I said, I've sold more than one rebuilt salvage car. 

Was your buyer under 25 or parent looking for teen car? 

Parent looking to help their 20yo son find a good daily. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/20 7:12 p.m.

Can I fire you a message bob, I got a few Korean car questions. 

10/26/20 7:31 p.m.

16 cents is a big win!  And, all the while, a car that you enjoyed. 

The IRS says the average car cost 54 cents (but that includes insurance too.)  You're nowhere near that. 

An important element of my job is to keep my operating costs lower than the IRS allowed deduction.  We know I like the Prius 04-09 but I have '11+ Hundai/Kias in my future sights too. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/26/20 7:31 p.m.

Shoot or we can use this. I don't care. We have mods that can move it!

10/26/20 7:34 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

Can I fire you a message bob, I got a few Korean car questions. 

Do bears E36 M3 on the woods? 

Does the Pope go to church on Sunday?

smiley​​​

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/20 5:43 a.m.

Ok.... Here we go. 

I have grown a interest in newer Korean car for my next daily. I got a good understanding of chassis. I'm really lost in engine codes. Is there a good cheat sheet with pros and cons of each?

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/27/20 6:04 a.m.

4cylinders
Theta 2.0/2.4 ~= K series. (Usually turboed these days).  Semi-open deck 4b-something co-developed.

Nu 1.8/2.0 ~= R18

Gamma ~= L15z.   Comes in NA, and Turboed varieties.

6cylinders
Lambda 3.3/3.5/3.8 ~= J series

One main difference from Honda motors, is all the Hyundai/Kia motors DOHC.  They're all aluminum block, aluminum head.  Some come in MPI and GDI flavors, depending on year/model.

Some of the Thetas had issues around 2011-2014, I forget with what.  I think they claim was an issue with assembly... but it might have been initial GDI development teething?

Bob will probably have more detail.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OZf1ELs5Rrm39UdlAs6q9JnEp9F0vtAO2g0LxQ5ZfrYC5mKM506hcENHcUgZPTdb