1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/9/20 7:57 a.m.

It is with a heavy heart that I make this post. 

Rufus is for sale. A hair over 27k miles as it sits. Brand new Michelin PSS4 on the wheels. All the Flying Miata stuff as listed here and my life with the car in this thread

Mrs. Deuce hasn't bonded with the car. She drives 25 miles each way in proper Texas city traffic which means 70% full size trucks going 75mph. They don't see her. Her heigh makes the flying buttresses on the car into HUGE blind spots. Instead of making her commute better, it makes her tired. I would love to keep the car for me, but I can't justify it with two kids starting college next year. 

Let's put $30k out there. 

You can send me a message through the forum or contact me at ttwo.elm at gmail dot com.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/20 8:14 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

crying Sad day..

hope this sale goes smoothly and quickly!

mazdeuce - Seth
1/9/20 10:04 a.m.

I had someone message me and expand on "why". 

To those of you that have spent time in ND Miatas, they're VERY NA like in their packaging. My wife is about 5'4". I'm on the tall side of 5'10'. We wear the same length pants and sit the same distance from the wheel in all of the cars we own. She has a short torso while I have short legs. I always hated NA Miatas until I took the seat foam out of one at which point I fell in love. The ND isn't quite as bad but every time I drive it I want to be two inches lower. Conversely, My wife has experimented and sitting an inch and a half higher makes the car a whole lot better for her. If we change the car to suit either one of us then the other can't drive it at all, my head is in the roof and she's looking through the wheel. 

We've never felt like owners so much as caretakers for a very special FM car. I know it's just a car, but I don't want to start cutting things up. It's very good. 

spacecadet
1/9/20 10:54 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I also just had to answer the same question becaue I made a listing for this on book of faces and spread it all over the country.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 12:37 p.m.

If we're going to make Rufus look good, let's use the pictures from the Automobile Magazine road test of the car.

Nobody at FM wanted to see this thing go, and we haven't bonded with our 2019 the way that we did with Rufus. Unfortunately, we need the '19 for R&D and it just didn't make sense to have that many ND1s.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/9/20 2:08 p.m.

Damn me and my lack of funds.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/9/20 6:19 p.m.

Edited the original post with my contact because spacecadet was awesome and threw this all over the book of faces and some of those people may not be weird enough to have an account here and be able to send me messages.

ttwo.elm at gmail dot com

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Between the two Caddys, the Mini, and the MGBGT, you might have enough trade fodder to get Seth's attention. :-p

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/9/20 6:51 p.m.

Sorry to see it go 

hope it goes to a good home. 

seller is top notch and a man of his word 

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
1/9/20 7:55 p.m.

Oh man, that's a steal of a deal and a really cool car. Good luck! Maybe Keith will buy it back?!?

Keith Tanner
1/9/20 7:56 p.m.

I will offer a Mini, a turbo NA, a CRX Si, the V8 MG and a Canadian NA Miata in trade. Heck, I'll throw in a 472 engine. Transportation is the responsbility of the buyer :)

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/9/20 8:07 p.m.

Such a solid beast with good provenance.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/9/20 8:24 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I will offer a Mini, a turbo NA, a CRX Si, the V8 MG and a Canadian NA Miata in trade. Heck, I'll throw in a 472 engine. Transportation is the responsbility of the buyer :)

Ready with cash for Seth for mini (I need a stable mate for my 67 cooper s ). Deal will be sweeter if the Caddy is for sale. I will take that too 

I will come to Denver and get them, so Seth doesn't have to worry about transport trade 

Keith Tanner
1/9/20 10:27 p.m.

If you want a Cadillac as part of the deal, it will be green :)

mazdeuce - Seth
1/10/20 6:20 a.m.
84FSP said:

Such a solid beast with good provenance.

It really is. It's done exactly what Keith said it would and driven like a stock ND turned up to 12. I got in a student's stock ND at an autocross recently and was reminded how much better Rufus was in every metric. 

I'm currently trying to have less cars and not more cars but that MGB..........yummy......

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/11/20 9:17 a.m.

I've always loved the look of that car. Unfortunately at 6'1" and 250lbs, I dont thinking be happy driving it without major surgery on myself or the car. Le Sigh.

I hope it finds a good home that will respect it for what it is.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/20 11:39 a.m.

Not that it would solve the being seen issue but it seems like one could install a power seat mechanism from something that would allow for the perfect seat hight for both the Deuce  progenitors and any trusted offspring.  It's probably not a simple bolt in but Rufus is such a nice car that it might be worth spending the time and money.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/11/20 5:01 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I want that to be an option, I really do, but I don't think it is. There is NA Miata levels of room on the floor pan and when you pull the seat everything is tiny. I was right on the edge of ordering a set of Paco seat lowering brackets which I think would solve the problem for me, but then what? Make my wife ride on a cushion? 

spacecadet
1/13/20 10:24 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

I've always loved the look of that car. Unfortunately at 6'1" and 250lbs, I dont thinking be happy driving it without major surgery on myself or the car. Le Sigh.

I hope it finds a good home that will respect it for what it is.

you should go sit in one.

if I was your height with proper length arms(My wingspan is 8 inches less than my height and I'm 5'10") I would fit this car perfect.

I am also 250, so that's my 2 cents

levireyes
levireyes New Reader
1/15/20 5:30 p.m.

This has been sold already?!?

Wonder who is the lucky buyer. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/15/20 6:13 p.m.

In reply to levireyes :

Nope. Still in the garage. I've had a couple people tentatively talk to me but nothing serious. 

Keith Tanner
1/15/20 6:36 p.m.

It goes without saying that I am happy to answer any questions that people might have about the car's life pre-Seth. And now I've said it :)

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/20 8:03 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to APEowner :

I want that to be an option, I really do, but I don't think it is. There is NA Miata levels of room on the floor pan and when you pull the seat everything is tiny. I was right on the edge of ordering a set of Paco seat lowering brackets which I think would solve the problem for me, but then what? Make my wife ride on a cushion? 

Yeah, I'm thinking that it would be a pretty significant undertaking and might involve a custom power seat mechanism and/or possibly floor modifications.  Still, that's an awfully nice car and it might be worth it for someone.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/24/20 9:15 p.m.

Rufus has sold locally. Thanks for everyone who contacted me with interest. Still a wonderful car and now at home with someone who is truly excited about how well FM put it together. 

Keith Tanner
1/24/20 9:44 p.m.

Excellent!

If you don't mind, can you ask the new owner to drop me a line? I'd like to invite Rufus to a little Miata party at Road Atlanta. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gshX24oTvlMGnfozAJOUa3xUx9STqjOZ4JXEFPcXKnuEr6KSQb7vVkbibtJ5Q4QJ