1 2
classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
8/31/22 4:14 p.m.

For sale near me! I walk by it almost daily. Don't know price or anything but it's super clean and would seem to run/drive, as I've seen it parked various places. It's a 5 speed.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/22 4:18 p.m.

Now that's a unicorn, especially in Michigan. I'm afraid to text and ask how much incase I can actually afford it.

I imagine that would be a good example to clean up and list on BAT. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/22 5:15 p.m.

What is it?  Looks more late 70's to me.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/31/22 5:16 p.m.

It's an '80 ish 626, I think 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/22 5:19 p.m.

Ooof. Good thing I'm out of space.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/31/22 5:20 p.m.

Mazda 626, rwd, stick axle, 2 litre inline four.

Edit: produced 78-82, known as Capella in Japan. Preceded by the 616/RX2. That 626 could be interesting with a 10A, 12A, or 13B.

Stampie
8/31/22 5:36 p.m.

81 626.  63k miles $8100.  That's out of my hey look cool car price range.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/22 5:50 p.m.

I learned to drive stick on a RWD 626. I still have fond memories of that car. Not fast, but fun. Especially in the rain with new front tires and old rear tires - I could take the roundabout near our house without using the steering wheel.

They're not a common find these days.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/31/22 5:53 p.m.

Huh.

~20 years later I suddenly know what this guy I was stationed with in tech school was talking about.  He always said he had one of these and I never got why he was excited about it cause I always defaulted to thinking of the FWD version that they had later.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
8/31/22 6:15 p.m.
EvanB said:

Now that's a unicorn, especially in Michigan. I'm afraid to text and ask how much incase I can actually afford it.

I imagine that would be a good example to clean up and list on BAT. 

I wondered the same - but at $8100 buy -in that's pretty steep

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/31/22 6:52 p.m.

But if you got a kid looking for a first car ....

Stampie
8/31/22 6:59 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I wouldn't put them into any car designed in the late 70s.  I still remember me being a teenage driver.  I hated having a Volvo 240 for my first car.  I now totally understand me having a Volvo 240 for my first car.  BTW top speed was 105mph but only downhill on the old Copper River bridge.  Yea I was a dumbass.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/22 7:59 p.m.
914Driver said:

But if you got a kid looking for a first car ....

A kid's first car with 1981 spaghetti vacuum hose early emissions equipment on a unicorn car? LOL.

Talk em down to $3500, buy the kid a AAA membership and a Craftsman toolbox and wish them luck because I'm not working on that every weekend.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/31/22 8:19 p.m.

At the time an updated Datsun 510 or BMW 2002.  

Is the rear axle IRS?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/22 8:46 p.m.

If that car was brown, I would have walked to Michigan with a pocketful of cash and driven it home by now. 

My parents had a 1981 sedan that I learned to drive on and I've always loved those cars. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/31/22 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Solid axle. 

Keith Tanner
8/31/22 11:16 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Ours was a brown four door as well. With the steering wheel on the right because Australia. 

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/1/22 11:23 a.m.

Always liked these and you NEVER see them anymore. So glad -like others- they priced it out of my fun-car price range.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/1/22 2:09 p.m.

I would do awful,  awful things to that car

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/22 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Rotaries aren't "awful things"

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/1/22 3:37 p.m.

Good work posting this here.  The prices seems in line with very nice conditional  80s nostalgia.  This is probably a step or two above being considered malaise w/the RWD aspect.  It'll likely find a nice home at that price if the seller gets motivated enoguht to post it in the right corner of the interwebs. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/22 4:25 p.m.

I have done zero research but I would imagine a F2T or FE3 would bolt up to the transmission and make it a very fun little car. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
9/1/22 5:01 p.m.

That's a nice little engine in that car. I wouldn't bother swapping something else in. 

Not every car needs to be swapped. 

Keith Tanner
9/1/22 5:11 p.m.

If you were going to swap anything, a Miata engine and trans would suit. Not crazy power, but EFI and a very nice shifter along with an engine that would look at home.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/2/22 8:21 a.m.

To understate it: the Aussies love their rotaries!

I can't seem to find a full playlist on YouTube to link, but search "Fullboost Project Redline", and you'll never look at that car the same again!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OiGPz6fTRhT9iimvMmPCrfjKARCkRdJAYuano4fCFGJZZsWxWRdzRqpZguBZKykv