Peabody UltimaDork
1/21/21 11:46 a.m.
Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/21/21 4:58 p.m.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/21/21 5:45 p.m.

"The Hyundai Stellar was a mid-size rear-wheel drive automobile produced by the Hyundai Motor Company to succeed the soon to be replaced Ford Cortina that Hyundai were building under licence. The Stellar was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, but the chassis from the Cortina Mk V was kept."

Amazing. I need it. I want it. Someone give me it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/21 6:03 p.m.

IIRC this is the best donor for a "book" Locost in North America as it has the most parts in common with the UK cars used in the book.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/21/21 7:05 p.m.

I love the tach, and the fog lights mounted under the bumper. So 80s.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/21/21 7:38 p.m.

I believe these were one-year-only, and Canada only.  Might be a stretch to get parts.  The motor was Mitsubishi, the same 1.6 you'd find in a Plymouth Arrow and others.

I happen to -have- a set of those spindles on a shelf.

Unless I was mistaken, I did not see any means through which ring & pinion backspacing could be adjusted in the diff.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/21 7:07 a.m.

Never knew these existed. I knew of the Pony, but not this

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/22/21 7:07 a.m.

They were sold in 85 and 86, and in 87  the Stellar II came out with a 2.0 (8V 4G63). It was a significantly better car. In 85/86 there was a TSB to replace the front end bushings. If you braked heavily the car would pull in one direction, but they were so poorly built and so flexible that you never knew which direction it would be. The new bushing set apparently made a big difference.

In 85 you could get a Stellar with the Pony's base 1.4 which included a rare 4.10 final drive, stock being 3.91, same as the Pony. With the later car and 2.0, the final drive was 3.55 which made scavenging a lot easier as I was constantly on the lookout for Plymouth Arrows to get 3.55 gears which we used for the long tracks.

The motors are Mitsu design, built by Hyundai and the diffs were set up using spacers like most diffs.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/21 7:19 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

we didn't get either here. We got the Excel starting in 87

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ieVD0uaf0TEn25oOwUGJbak4GFtECp1Zyu7FcLCTIOFPS3iHOU4FXTPn3ZCRCbc0