nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/4/24 1:52 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/share/WQVAh5Ptk1HcVWsc/?mibextid=79PoIi
Looks to be an automatic, unfortunately, but an interesting period piece, complete with the mouse-track seat belts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/4/24 6:25 p.m.

...no. I draw the line at Tempo.

Motojunky
Motojunky Reader
9/4/24 7:11 p.m.

A few years back my brother inherited my grandmother's Tempo. Super low miles, and garage kept every day of it's life. 

It was a turd. 

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/24 8:11 p.m.

My mom had the twin Mercury Topaz. It was the first car she bought brand new, 1986 model. Went through my sister and me both learning to drive (manual transmission too). 

Sister backed into a truck a family gathering, broke tail light. Hit a deer, only broke the front grill. 

I hit a deer, dented small section of the hood. Jumped it at 30mph on a dirt road. I finally killed it sliding on snow leaving school and hit a telephone pole.

It was a good car for us.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
9/4/24 8:16 p.m.
Appleseed said:

...no. I draw the line at Tempo.

More or less forgettable than the Chevy Corsica?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/5/24 3:31 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

I see no reason to not hate them both.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/24 7:47 p.m.

I had a customer who LOVED these.  When one would rust out she would buy another one.

When she collided with a deer, we took pity on her and broke one of our rules and did Bodywork.  It was just bumper/grille/hood, and a little shadetree frame pulling involving Reverse gear, a towtrap, and a parking pole.  We found the parts in a localish salvage yard in the correct color... but it was a Topaz.  She didn't mind.

So for a while, we had a literal Tempaz running around the streets of our little suburb smiley

When these were common they were huge moneymakers because they were constantly eating front end parts.  Constantly.  I am fairly sure that the extended shift lever in my '84 RX-7 started life as a Tempo inner tie rod end because I can't think of anything else that might have had a 12mm thread.

(Random trivia: I took my driver's license exam in my older cousin's '91 Topaz.  It was a nice example and he was kind of dumb for trading it in on a new truck that he couldn't afford)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGu3OwuMSeiHuGwSYyAQVmkeHBqAzC4NJdw1raqtGOcBbog0MzdFVKk1lR2hbDhn