saruken
saruken Reader
6/28/20 8:50 a.m.

Gonna try to sell the MR2 again. Came down a lot on price because the last time I drove it around, it returned leaking a fair amount of oil. Don't know where from -- there was a concerning stain in the driveway but I couldn't find any source on the engine. Anyway that was last September. Since then the AW11 has been parked and just been taking up space (not much, admittedly) in my garage. Although it doubles a handy tool shelf:

I have 2 other cars I need to work on more than this one though; it was supposed to be the fun one that worked. I don't have time to fix them all, so this one's got to go.

More pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/YO199NZ

Details:

• 163,700 miles
  • Timing belt, clutch, alternator, and oil seals replaced at about 150k
  • Eibach lowering springs with Koni adjustables
  • 2013 repaint in factory super red
  • Bridgestone Potenza tires have a few years on them but low miles
  • Mk3 MR2 wheels
  • T-top seals and eccentric guides replaced about 2 years ago
  • Momo steering wheel
  • Weighted shift knob, original included

The shift boot retainer plastic is broken so the boot just floats in the console. Also the passenger side popup sometimes sticks. But other than that, and the mystery oil leak, it's in great shape. Just selling because I have too many other cars that need work.

It will start up and drive, and man it is fun to drive, but assume until fixed that you'll want to trailer it. Any questions, let me know.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
6/28/20 1:16 p.m.

Every time I get worked up over one of these rust in the rear fenders kills the deal.  How does this one look in the nasty places?  You look into that and I will look into renting a trailer or dolly.

saruken
saruken Reader
6/28/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to porschenut :

Took some quick pictures of the rear fender areas here: imgur.com/a/QAdw5ji

I have not seen a spot of rust on this car anywhere in the years I've owned it. Let me know if you'd like pictures of anything in particular.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
6/29/20 4:15 p.m.

As nice as this car is, and I have been looking for a while, this is just not the right time for me to get another project car.  Thanks for the additional pics, GLWS

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
6/30/20 12:55 p.m.

I sold my '85.  I miss it...alot.  Let me argue with myself for a day or two and circle back to you.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/30/20 1:13 p.m.

The distributor is a known place for oil leaks.

Matt B (Forum Supporter)
Matt B (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/30/20 2:58 p.m.

Decent examples (read: clean rust free bodies) are getting so rare these days I'd call that a good deal.  Oil leaks are common and can usually be fixed relatively easily.  This one is so much better off than my 86, but I'm emotionally invested at this point, lol. GLWS.

Matt B (Forum Supporter)
Matt B (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/30/20 3:00 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

Yeah it's pretty impossible to see from above as well.  I just fixed that same oil leak on mine last year. Apparently there's a way to rebuild them with new seals, but my garage time is in short supply so I just bought a reman from RockAuto and called it a day.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
6/30/20 10:55 p.m.

I've messaged about this MR2, very interested.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
7/1/20 1:05 a.m.

Hate the contact feature on this site, never goes through for me always gets kicked back and not sent. Can you contact me at [redacted]... I'm very interested, just wondering how the starting issue it had after replacing the battery got resolved.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/1/20 3:41 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

If your email kicked back,  you probably got a message about "undeliverable". Open up that email and deep in the text it will actually show the email address that it could not send to. Copy and paste that email and start a direct correspondence.  

saruken
saruken Reader
7/1/20 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Got your email and replied. Thanks!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
7/1/20 8:16 a.m.

Dammit.  Sold the WRX to help pay for the roof repair, and thinking I wouldn't mind another MR2 someday...

saruken
saruken Reader
7/1/20 2:06 p.m.

Deal pending.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BGsI2imF2qIQp3vXgJzBEAJPtC4mT3siHAeDSUzkzS9AfZ1QDRfaYzW8UYUbWRQ7