The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/27/19 11:56 a.m.

SOLD

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/27/19 12:15 p.m.

Damn, I wish I had room for this and a way to get it home to SE PA.  I have evil desires for a cheap Crown Vic... devil

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
6/27/19 1:31 p.m.

Man, I'm glad this isn't closer...

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
6/27/19 2:18 p.m.

This thing is screaming at me.

GAAMMMMMBLEERRRRRRRRRR

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
6/27/19 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

That seems like an even better deal than setting an F100 body on it.  

I really cannot buy another car now....

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/27/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

It wouldn't be a cheap project by any stretch (I did the maths), but with the prices running examples sell for these days it looks like the cheapest way to build a really silly version to hoon with (I'm thinking rallycross).

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/29/19 1:09 p.m.

Update:

Today I drove it around town to get some prescriptions filled for the wife and drop off some bills and I cycled the A/C on and off a few times. The compressor is now quiet, though for how long, I can not say.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/29/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I highly recommend the '05-up Panther for the better brakes, suspension, steering, and 31-spline rear end. The difference between this car ('99) and my '09 is shocking. They feel COMPLETELY different. The '99 is a truck and the '09 is a "sporty-ish" sedan.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/29/19 1:51 p.m.

For $200 more ($700 total), I'll put the original wheels back on with tires that were bought about 10 months ago. My '09 needed tires so I put the '99 wheels (with the new tires) on the '09. You can see the front already mounted in the first pic. Yes, it looks dumb. Also having the tires poking out of the fenders and grabbing air has cost me about 1.5 mpg, on average.

So, to recap, $500 with WillPop tires on steelies, $700 with new tires on O.E. Aluminum wheels, and seven P71 steel wheels with tires of questionable quality.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/29/19 5:09 p.m.

What kind of a 5x8 trailer are you after? If i gave the full 700 would it be a fly and drive to Alabama?

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/30/19 11:56 a.m.

Just a road-legal, single-axle trailer that can haul lumber, bags of gravel, riding mowers, that sort of thing.

Something like this (but not brand new, of course):

My only concern with a fly and drive that far would be the A/C compressor and whether or not it would lock up and throw the belt.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/30/19 1:24 p.m.

I assume a '96-'04 4.6 Mustang A/C eliminator pulley would fit but I haven't looked into it yet.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/30/19 6:01 p.m.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/421994

Looks like you can buy a shorter belt and re-route it so it eliminates the compressor.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/30/19 10:53 p.m.

Here in Alabama we dont remove AC components,  we repair and replace.  I can think of anything except a motorcycle or MAYBE a dune buggy that i would buy and drive without the possibility of repairing the AC

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
7/28/19 10:54 a.m.

I had a young guy contact me through FB marketplace and set up a time to drive and buy it last week. Being a young guy he didn't have a lot of money and I figured the last thing he needed was to either buy used tires pretty much continuously, as they were needed or drop a few hundred dollars on a set of new tires immediately after buying a car so I put the original wheels back on with the tires that are less than a year old and have fewer than 10,000 miles, then bought a set of new tires for my '09 in anticipation of him buying the Crown Vic.

Of course, he never showed and completely ghosted me. So now, the price is the same, $500, with the new tires. Throw a heater core in it (so you can have heat when you need it) and you'll have a reliable, yet far from perfect DD for a few years for less than $1,000 total invested.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/28/19 11:48 a.m.

Someone should buy this for Gastropod Challenge racing. It's a hoot throwing a big softly-sprung RWD car through an autocross track.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
7/28/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

How much would you want to pay for "....a cheap Crown Victoria...".  

See my post here.  I travel back and forth to the Pocono area 2 or 3 times a year with my next trip early September.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/19 8:14 p.m.

With snow tires how are these in the snow?

KonaBoss
KonaBoss Reader
8/1/19 11:06 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

In my experience, they do very well in the snow with snow tires. My 2010 with blizzaks and a posi was able to tackle about 12" of unplowed snow like nobodies business. Have also driven one without a posi, just have to keep your momentum up a bit more. Lots of sideways action to be had

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
8/2/19 7:14 a.m.

I wonder if the 18x11 would fit on this thing.....

yea, my wife would kill me......

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
8/3/19 12:01 p.m.

SOLD

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2kd8mq1vymHFKn2swY1EQSLgtOIkmRRgVd1zWGGyoVCg3pocXwMtouUmzUaxZzQX