stroker
stroker UberDork
11/10/20 7:13 a.m.

$2500 in mid-Missouri.  NMNA--better move fast on this one if you're interested as I doubt it'll last, unless the cost to get it running again are way more than I expect.  Posted about 8 hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/814883716023883/

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/10/20 8:01 a.m.

I have everything that car needs, except the title, and I'm not interested. ...well maybe a little interested. If the engine isn't trash, the parts value could be worth it. It does have a fairly recent aftermarket glass window top.

Nobody could have driven it away by "drilling out the ignition". I suspect it was neglected, then was 'stolen' as a DIY job. ...just a hunch.

If you look at it: Check for signs of intermix - residue in the coolant expansion tank. 2000 models are the worst for head cracks + intermix. Is the carpet padding under the driver's seat soaked? That often kills the central locking module  (Immobilizer box), which is a $500 to $1,200 repair. If the ECU is gone it has that repair cost anyway. Drop the sump (not likely on a car you are looking at in his driveway) or at least remove the oil filter and get a look. Does the oil look good? Is there any debris in the filter? I could go on for a few pages with things like; the windows don't work correctly and the interior smells like a wet goat.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/20 11:05 a.m.

"i don't have the time or money to apply for a duplicate"

I've done this before in MO even AFTER I moved out of state. It's super simple and cheap. Like $14.50 + a stamp cheap, and a $15 notary stamp at a UPS store. Pertinent info from https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titlerep.php:

To apply for a duplicate title, you must submit:

1. An Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108), completed in full and signed, including the following:
    • A Missouri address must be indicated in the owner area on the application;
    • Mark the block labeled "DUPLICATE" at the top of the form to indicate you are applying for a duplicate title;
    • Indicate the reason you need the duplicate title located in the "Duplicate Title Only" near the bottom of the form;
    • Have the form notarized. Your signature must be witnessed by a notary public, and the notary must complete the notarization box in the block named "Duplicate Title Only";
    • If you are applying for a duplicate title because your original title was mutilated, you must return the mutilated title with your application;
    • If the title is to be mailed to an address other than that indicated in the owner's portion of the application, and no lien (loan) is indicated, please place an "X" in the "Mail To" block and write or type that address in the space provided. A title may be mailed to an address other than that indicated in the owner's portion of the application if there is only one lien (loan) indicated.
  2. If applicable, a notarized Lien Release (Form 4809) is required.
  3. Submit an $8.50 duplicate title fee and a $6.00 processing fee.

You may submit your application and fees to any Missouri license office, or to the Motor Vehicle Bureau, 301 West High Street, Room 370, PO Box 100, Jefferson City, MO, 65105-0100.

Smacks of either deceit or common "just fix this $50 O2 sensor and it will run fine" used car silliness.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/20 3:57 p.m.

Or he is the guy that stole it and after taking the stuff to the salvage, he it trying to unload it. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
11/12/20 3:38 p.m.

Agreed that this one seems like a hard pass of sketchiness. But I applaud the effort of sharing dirt cheap boxsters. Bonus points if someone comes across one that's mechanically decent with a trashed/stripped interior and/or cosmetic issues somewhere in the midwest.

P3PPY
11/12/20 10:59 p.m.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong — if I was in the area and had cash I’d be talking to this guy already

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/20 9:04 a.m.

In my mind a theft recovery that you can't start is a car that needs an engine and possibly a transmission.

P3PPY
11/14/20 9:42 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Touché 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zFIdP8027NMVxthdxpMC4VIJKS8iH6b6izcl5C7GtD4XjewB4MGPn6VnL475qmTl